Whats the rarest wood to find in usable sizes?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monolith

Hmm... any suggestions? I enjoy gardening (and the challenge of growing unexpected things) so thought I might try planting some stuff with the potential to harvest it for wood in the distant future.

Alejanders

Some wood may be rare in one region, and be relatively availible on other region.

For example, in Russia price of cocobolo, kingwood, and desert ironwood several times more then other exotic wood (like wenge or palisander).

In the US maybe Karelian/Masur birch, platanus, buxus.

scroller99

I finally got a piece of oysterwood big enough to make a pen out of. Doesn't really get much bigger then a bush but nice. I have a lot of wild grapevine it gets 6" or bigger, I have some dried in my shop let me know if you want some.

Lonn

Recycled English walking cane

I recently cut an old asumed to be hawthorne cane into 5.5 inch segments and made an unusual Hart style pin. It was stained and varnished about 150 years ago and most of the stain turned away leaving variated colors of beige to brown not to mention the pin knots.
So you might want to research hawthorne. To my surprise this wood did not have a soft pith.

Top Bottom