What's the deal with Paypal?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

redfishsc

I sold some blanks on the classifieds forum and a couple of the payments were, according to Paypal, debit/credit payments.

Paypal tells me that to accept them I have to upgrade to some sort of business/premier account. I have never heard of this.

Rather than spend all day trying to find my answers on paypal's account, I thought I'd ask you fellers.

I'm in NO way interested in linking my paypal to my checking account, nor am I interested in anything other than standard account (ie, free).

How can I get access to the money that was sent to me without having to upgrade? Anyone had experience with this? This is a load of BULLHOCKEY.

(((((NOTE: I do appreciate the purchase, guys, I'm not fussing at you by any stretch of the imagination.... I'm just not getting Paypal's boloney))))

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fangar

Fish,

No matter what you do, the account upgrade is free. With your entry level account, you are only aloud to accept $100.00 worth of credit card payments per month. Meaning if someone pays you via credit card for 101.00, you will have a problem.

Linking your bank account is the only way to upgrade. You may not like the idea, but it covenient. Once I have money in the acct, I am able get a direct transfer to my checking acct for free within 3days. I believe they charge to cut you a check, but not for direct xfer.

Lastly, in order to take debit payments (Direct from a buyer's checking account) you have to upgrade. The good thing about these types of payments if I recall is that there is no precentage removed from the sale (Like the 3%+ on credit cards).

The only bad thing is that with the entry level personal account, you don't get charged any fees to accept payment. The catch is that the only payments you can accept are Paypal funds (Meaning funds that a buyer already has in their acct).

Your last option is to accept only checks via mail. Most buyers don't like this as it is less secure than sending paypal. People don't like their checks floating around in the USPS.

Reference:
http://tinyurl.com/dczuy
http://tinyurl.com/sy4t

Hope that helps,

Fangar

redfishsc

Alright, whatever.

They were not clear on what the difference between upgrading and "verified". I thought I had to link the blasted thing to my personal bank account to upgrade to "premier".

Rifleman1776

I find the link a valuable tool for buying and selling. PP provides a printable account statement. I recently used it to prove to our local Lowe's store that they had twice charged me for a single transaction. I'm a PP fan.

alamocdc

I ran into the same situation about seven years ago when I was selling a lot of diecast cars on ebay. James is right on all counts. You can only accept limited payments at the entry level and once you exceed that amount they ask that you upgrade. Verification was optional, but I'm not sure about the requirement today. I chose to verify (link to my checking account) simply to speed my transactions along and have not had a problem to date.

redfishsc

FANGAR!

Note My response above was NOT to your post-- we were typing at the same time. Boy do I sound sarcastic! I basically plundered their site and found my answer and then came here to post my "alright, whatever" comment.

Anyhow, I appreciate the help.

I actually do like PP but my problem with them is this: they allow people to pay me via CC when I did not want to accept CC. I had no choice but to accept it.

They are sneaky and I emailed them and told them that allowing a non-premier member to be "payed" via CC was unethical. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

By the way, how can I pay places like HF and Grizzly with Paypal if I do NOT have it linked to the checking account?

Matt, I bought something a while ago from a member and tried to pay for it with cc via paypal. He had a personal account so he couldn't accept my cc payment and didn't want to upgrade. He denied payment and Paypal notified me. I emailed him about it and after understanding what was going on I opened a 'separate' bank account from my 'regular' one that I only use for Paypal. That account is linked to Paypal and I transfer money into it as required. I prefer to use a cc but if someone can't accept credit cards I can send the money as a direct transfer from that account.

gerryr

I have a seperate account just for PayPal and I prefer to use it over my credit card. By using that account, I have most of my expenses in one place where I can easily see what I've spent. I would recommend opening a seperate account just for PayPal usage. You can still pay with a CC on any given transaction if you choose.

cozee

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />I have a seperate account just for PayPal and I prefer to use it over my credit card. By using that account, I have most of my expenses in one place where I can easily see what I've spent. I would recommend opening a seperate account just for PayPal usage. You can still pay with a CC on any given transaction if you choose.

I did the same with both a checking account and credit card. Both are for PayPal use only. Thinking of getting the PayPal debit card also.

Pipes

Originally posted by cozee
<br />
Originally posted by gerryr
<br />I have a seperate account just for PayPal and I prefer to use it over my credit card. By using that account, I have most of my expenses in one place where I can easily see what I've spent. I would recommend opening a seperate account just for PayPal usage. You can still pay with a CC on any given transaction if you choose.

I did the same with both a checking account and credit card. Both are for PayPal use only. Thinking of getting the PayPal debit card also.

I have had the Pay Pal debit card since it came out and use it a LOT

http://affordablepipes.com/

cozee

I figure it will be a great way to be able to surprise the LOML with the occasional gift without her finding out what, where or how much!!!!

Daniel

I have a pay pal debit card and use it all the time. I get a samll precent back for things I didn't have to use it for as well. paay pal is a pain to set up but it is also secure. being linked to my checking account is convenient. not as much as I would like as it takes days for the money to change over. I think of paypal as my business checking account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom