Whats a good wax for pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1shootist

I'm really liking the natural look of wood pens lately and am in need of recommendations for what wax would be good to try .
Thanks all !

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DrD

Still need to seal the wood. What are you sealing the wood with?? Wax will not seal the wood.
You are absolutely correct! I used a liquid sanding sealer that I bought online from a company that also provided Mont Blanc styled pen and pencil kits - no not Berea Hardwoods - but I cannot remember the name. They also sold a dedicated pen turning lathe that, as I recall resembled a metal turning lathe. In addition to the friction sealer they had a liquid, friction wax that I used until I came upon Renaissance Wax. Sorry I couldn't be more help on the sealer.

Don

DrD

It took me all day, but I located a can of the old sanding sealer I used in the past. It is called Turners Magic CN-11 Sanding Sealer. It comes from Wood-Write LTD, located in Winchester, KY, USA, and their web site is woodwriteltd.com. I found their sealer to be the best I'd ever used.

1shootist

I'm with you on this. I have had great results with Renaissance Micro-Crystalline Wax Polish. It was applied at about 750 rpm using a cotton rag, if I remember correctly.
I have some ordered...Thanks all for your help !

tomas

When I use wax, I use carnuba and burnish it with a paper towel, that said, I much prefer medium CA with Micro Mesh.

Tomas

randyrls

As John T said; I will finish with CA and then use 0000 steel wool to give wood a matte / satin finish. It looks and feels more like wood. Then Renaissance wax.

wouldentu2?

Finish with CA, polish with Micro Mesh to 12000 and then go back down the grits until you find a shine you like based on the wood. You have the protection of CA and the " natural " look of wood.

Top Bottom