What would YOU like to ask!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
There are very few "celebrities" in penturning. But, if you know the history of this activity, you have to "tip your hat" to the author of some of the earliest books on penmaking, Dick Sing.

At the end of April, I will have the great privilege of sitting down with Dick in front of over 200 people at the Midwest Penturners' Gathering.

Dick and I can "shoot the breeze" for an hour with ease. But, I'd rather get your input for the questions YOU would like him (or me) to answer.

It is "billed as" the future of penturning--but with Dick, we know we have an expert on the past and how it developed. Would you like to hear about writing his books? His relationship with CSUSA, resulting in the Father Sing pen? His experiences as a worldwide traveling demonstrator? Cruises?

In short, What would YOU ask Dick Sing, if you had the chance!!

Thanks for helping me prepare!!
Ed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gimpy

What got him interested in pen making/ wood working.

And what age, and who was his mentor

Same goes for you Ed

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Quick background for Dick--he is a professional, retired tool and die maker. He speaks fluent thousandths of an inch!!

I started at age 45, when I also stopped drinking alcohol and my son started college. Needed something to do instead of watch TV and drink.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
By the way, I will give short answers when I know them, but the question will still be one I have on the list to ask Dick!!

PenPal

Some years ago I had the privilige of spending time with Dick here in Canberra,I was fascinated ,bought some of his books and just love his accuracy that I use myself.

He and his wife were wonderful,please pass on my kind regards.

We met at Carba tec in Fyshwick Canberra. Lasting impression.

Peter.

TG Design

I have been experimenting with kitless pen design, I have a few questions.

What are minimum thickness(s) for various materials? For example, I started to make a section out of acrylic and when I cut threads for the cap it ran too close to the nib housing threads and felt very fragile. I also ran into this when trying to cut outside threads over internal ones.

Along the same lines, are there general thread size guidelines (cap to body) when you use a #6 nib?

How thick should the cap or pen body be when using acrylic vs aluminum vs ebonite vs wood? Since a kitless doesn't use a brass tube for strength, is there a general guideline?

Is it better to have different materials threaded together? Or keep them similar so the wear at the same rate?

How long will cap and body threads last (daily carry) on a dense wood like ironwood? (Wood to wood)

I'm currently drawing a pen on AutoCad, starting with the nib housing thread, I'm running into standard tap and die size restraints. I've already bought some special sizes, maybe the wrong sizes?? Answers to all these questions will ensure I start with a good design.

I'm also building a fixture to cut square threads, what are his thoughts on square vs standard v? I'm building the thread cutter so I don't need a bunch of taps and dies. This brings me back to minimum material thickness guidance. I'd like to use all kinds of materials. What should the thread height be? Going with 0.020" as suggested by BRobbins629.

Hope these are good questions, they are the ones I would like to ask.

I appreciate the guidance!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Chasper

I'm interested in his thoughts on the future of pen turning, which is how the interviewe is billed, I might attend just for that.

Is pen turning a passing fancy of retired and soon to be retired old men, something like classic cars and vintage tractor restoration? Or is it on track to morph into something bigger like the micro-brewery universe?

What about the Pen State proliferation of gimmicky components? Will that become the future of a passing fancy?

What can pen makers do to change the future of this craft into the second golden age of fine writing instruments

Xel

• Some younger penturners have found success in non-traditional ways, such as through crowdfunding platforms like Kickstarter or patronage for regularly-delivered video content (like Patreon). In a sense, these ways of success rely heavily on "the personality", as the finished product ("the pen") is largely intangible. Is this a trend you expect to increase? As "a personality" within the penturning world, what advice would you give for marketing ones' self in that manner successfully?
  • Penturning, like other legacy art-forms, is a challenging one to get into if you don't have a familial history of it. What advice would you give a young penturner with this background as to where to start? What can we, as those who have been before, do to encourage active mentorship of these beginners?
  • An offshoot of the above: there are non-profit organizations, such as "The Red List of Endangered Crafts" which are meant to spread awareness of art-forms largely in the hands of ageing populations. What would it take to develop something like this specifically for penturning? Do you foresee a grant-sustained charity, perhaps one that wills pen-turning tools from those who have passed to those who want to take up the craft, as being successful?
  • The development of relationships through online means is flourishing, but comes with its own set of unique challenges. How can we encourage the growth of building strong communal bonds within (or without) that medium to ensure the long-term health of this art-form?

Like Chasper, I'm interested in the interview as how it's billed and am attending the MPG partially due to it. It's an issue dear to me. Thanks for taking the time to solicit suggestions for questions, Ed.

flyitfast

Ed, I am interested in his comments on the Klutzy "theme pens" and their uncomfortable writing feel vs the standard well designed pens. Do the novelty pens have a purpose other than curiosity and marketability to a limited market?
This is not to offend vendors but rather to preserve the pen styles that have gotten us where we are.
Gordon

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I'm interested in his thoughts on the future of pen turning, which is how the interviewe is billed, I might attend just for that.

Is pen turning a passing fancy of retired and soon to be retired old men, something like classic cars and vintage tractor restoration? Or is it on track to morph into something bigger like the micro-brewery universe?

What about the Pen State proliferation of gimmicky components? Will that become the future of a passing fancy?

What can pen makers do to change the future of this craft into the second golden age of fine writing instruments

Gerry,
I would be THRILLED if you came to this session!! Your input would be far more contemporary than Dick and me!! Believe me, we would tap that potential!!

I will be prepared to answer some questions about the demographics of the hobby (as we get reports from Facebook and google).

jttheclockman

Since he started doing pens what has been some of the big changes he has seen?? Finishes, styles, kits VS kitless, blanks and materials being used today.

Is there something he wishes to see more of in the coming years??

Where does he see penturning as a whole heading??

Did he prefer penturning to birdhouse making??:)

Last edited:

tbfoto

I would like to know if there has been developments or materials used in pen turning that has surprised him or maybe never thought possible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fred Bruche

Unfortunately I can't attend MPG, life getting in the way :rolleyes:
For sure it would be a worthwhile skill to learn as I definitely have more luck making pens than selling them! :tongue:

why not use a "Bic" ballpoint instead?

Come to the MPG!!! This is the subject of MY presentation;;Selling hand made pens!

Touches on personal shows and internet sales, lots of good ideas for selling pens.

Fred Bruche

Do you get the title of master kitless penmaker only once you've made 3 identical pens or before that? Once is chance, twice is coincidence, third time is a pattern?

Top Bottom