What to do with 35 year old drum sticks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Argo13

Argo13

I couldn't throw them out. They were they last surviving pair from my senior year in marching band. My good friend and I bought a box of sticks at the beginning of football session. And since Memorial Day 1985 they have never performed again. I recently thought I need to do something with them so I made my friends a pen out of the sticks. Engraved them with the year, drum they played and their name. Now the sticks can collect dust on their desks. Thanks for looking. ( and putting up with the cheesiness of the story)

Jason
0DAB07F7-264D-4C65-87FE-5758A50647E7.jpeg 2C8D0311-84F1-4B94-AD83-5E7FD4B8E64F.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

Cheesiness? I think it's a Great idea. Why have something taking up space that will never be used then eventually thrown out. Instead you've taken something that had memories attached and turned it into something people can use and admire every day. Good call or maybe I'm just as Cheesy as you are. Ha Ha Ha

greenacres2

Great thought and execution!! Doesn't look like the CA took any of the paint off. It does eat the paint on recent (about 5 year old) Vic Firth sticks. After my first one, i switched to lacquer.
earl

Argo13

Great thought and execution!! Doesn't look like the CA took any of the paint off. It does eat the paint on recent (about 5 year old) Vic Firth sticks. After my first one, i switched to lacquer.
earl
No paint, just the bare wood engraved with a Neje Laser. Lacquer does seem like a good call with paint though.

Lucky2

Jason, I don't think that, there is anything cheesy about what you did. Actually, I think that it was a great reuse of wood set aside for another purpose. Plus, it's a great way to get in touch with friends from your past. And I can only imagine, how much your friends will appreciate you turning them. And to then, personalize each pen for each band member. I know what I would feel like, and what it would mean to me. If one of my classmates from 35 years ago, did something similar. Way to go!!

Len

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
👍 👏 👍 👏 Jason, those are awesome! As a former "Band Rat" I really like those. Great engraving also. The story and memories with those sticks makes them very special. A great burl, a great segmented blank - all are wonderful and we appreciate them; but a blank with history and sentimental significance beats all in my opinion.

Top Bottom