What stones can we turn?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

THarvey

I want to make a few cholla cactus pens, with crushed stone fillers. What stones crush well and make nice turnable fillers?

I have seen Turquoise. What about Jade? Alabaster?

What others are there?

Thank you

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wood-of-1kind

I have used some "coloured" SAND as infill. Will warn you in advance that it is hard on tools. Be prepared to sharpen them over & over. THe sand came in blue and pink.

mrcook4570

Embossing powders come in a variety of colors. Most are very easy to turn and make nice fill material. You will find embossing powders in the scrapbooking section of craft stores.

jthompson1995

I have had the best luck turning the pen closed to finished dimensions, filling the voids with the stone, then power sand the pen to final dimension. This saves wear and tear on the tools and uses less stone as well.

DurocShark

I've been enjoying the alabaster and soapstone I got from craftdiggity (I think?). I've been making whole pens from it, and saving the dust to use as fill.

I still don't have the fill techniques down to where I'm happy, but the pens are nice. Too brittle to use with Pentel conversions unless I tube it. 1/4" tube works about right but doesn't fit on the step mandrel. Still working it out.

Top Bottom