what ring size to stock?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lathe monkey

I'm thinking to try and start making rings, my question is what size to stock your table with when you to shows? do you just have a few and take orders? I think they would be a good seller, but I'm just not sure how to sell them, I really don't want to have 15 -20 different sizes on my table, so for all you ring makers how do you to it?
tks
lathe monkey

dogcatcher

When I made rings which was almost 20 years ago, I had in stock sizes of 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10. These were way before the "kits" of today. I had a cost factor of less than a $1, so no real "dollar" investment in inventory. I was also making them in lots of 12 at a time. Most women would be able to find a ring that would fit one or more of their fingers based on the sizes I kept stocked. Granted there were the "odd" ones that wanted something in between sized. I custom made those after the show.

WriteON

I'm thinking to try and start making rings, my question is what size to stock your table with when you to shows? do you just have a few and take orders? I think they would be a good seller, but I'm just not sure how to sell them, I really don't want to have 15 -20 different sizes on my table, so for all you ring makers how do you to it?
tks
lathe monkey
I make rings for fun...for myself, friends, anyone I like that wants one. I had no idea of how to stock so I bought a variety. And because someone hates me my inventory did not fit the people I was trying to accommodate. They are a bit of work with a learning curve. However they're quite attractive and desirable. I saw 2 piece rings in a Jewelry store selling for $299 that were no better than mine. 2 piece are too much work compared to a typical ring core.
My cousin sells rings at flea markets...no craft shows...different kind of buyer. He puts out x amount of random sizes. They sell and do they sell however I feel his prices are too low. You will need a bit of supplies....mandrels, polishing bits, etc. There is a start up cost. For openers you might want smaller sizes 4-9 for ladies. There are 1/2 sizes also. I'd estimate about $10 for stainless core and blank. Titanium gets costly. Maybe start out with 10 stainless rings cores...They seem to be the least expensive. MY OPINION... I would not sell for less than $50..they are time consuming. I can make 3 or more pens in the same time. Most of time is spent coring and polishing the core. Turning and finishing the blank is quick. Make a list of tools/materials needed. Consider how much it cost to get started. I'm encouraging to try making and selling....but stay high end. Use nice blanks and get your prices. Acrylic blanks are less expensive and look beautiful when finished. Wood (stabilized only) is almost double the price of acrylic. Wood looks great as a ring. Have fun and go for it. I hope this helps and my post is constructive. Looking forward to the other posters replies.

Last edited:
Top Bottom