What not to do with an Apple Watch

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
I bought an Apple Watch 5 (cellular model) recently and a 5 for LOML also. She had a 3, but we gave it to one of our daughters who has diabetes. LOML has diabetes and I have been hoping some kind of diabetic detector would be available by now but it hasn't.

Anyway, I bought this model (5) for both of us because of our age (73-70) and because it has an ECG (very helpful) and a " Hard Fall" detector, after which it will automatically self dial 911 one minute after a fall if it does not detect movement, and will also auto dial dial the emergency contacts that we have listed (LOML to me, Me to LOML and to each of our 3 daughters.

Well all of that is great, but today, with lots of free time on my hand, I learned what the phone will do for old people. :oops:

This morning I was making a work table and needed a little help to get a 3x3 leg to move a tad. One Hard blow with my dead blow hammer and it worked . . . and the watch made a "ding" sound. Then a message came on: "A Hard Fall was detected" and then something to the effect if I needed help, "press the button to dial 911immediately or it will dial for you if you cannot."

Well, I didn't want the EMT coming, so I frantically canceled it. I didn't need LOML running out either. Or my three daughters calling in from TX, AR and MO.

Then late this afternoon, getting ready to grill some chicken (I usually smoke it) and I didn't have any small chunks of hickory. I did have some firewood size hickory so I got my axe out and one swing with the axe and . . . my watch dings again. "The Apple Watch detected a Hard Fall" I had to cut the emergency dial off again.

The Apple Watch's "Hard Fall Detector" is not for the heavy handed worker. Guess I won't be wearing it when I am building or house repairing.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
Just so you know, you can turn off the hard fall from the iphone app easily too... that way you don't have to take off the watch if you don't want to.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Just so you know, you can turn off the hard fall from the iphone app easily too... that way you don't have to take off the watch if you don't want to.
This watch is still new to me and almost daily I am finding out something new. It can be overwhelming all of the features on all of the apps. After you wrote that, I started looking for the place to turn the Fall Detector off and finally realized it was in "settings". Easy to do. Thanks!

Gregf

I have to admit the "I've fallen, and I can't get up" feature was a key in my decision. I wondered about the Apple employee they used to test this. Some poor sap they kept pushing down.

leehljp

Member Liaison

Scott

We like our Apple watches! The fall detector is a pain. I like the ECG feature, but even better is that it monitors your heartbeat all the time. I like that it monitors and encourages activity and exercise, that I have a timer handy on my wrist, that I can check the weather at a glance, and that news flashes pop up on it! Also, since I can't hear worth a darn, the watch does a better job of alerting me to an incoming call than my phone does! Enjoy!

Scott.

More4dan

I have a Samsung GearFit Pro2. What I like best is the vibration alarm feature that silently wakes me up without waking up the LOML. It also has Spotify built in so I can download and play music without my phone.

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

leehljp

Member Liaison
The Apple Watch has a vibration alarm and message notification too . LOML loves it but it is driving me crazy. The Text messages drive me crazy too, and the watch vibrates every time. I need serious and business messages, but I have a few extrovert friends and coworkers that use it to talk. I keep telling them "please only send me business notes!"

howsitwork

Hank

if it makes you feel any better. friend tells me his iphone is not Land rover compatible.?

On further questioning he admitted falling out of the back of the land rover into deep mud whilst out shooting and as his friends ( stopped laughing ) reversed to collect him they ran over it. Apparently the new curved look did not improve the reception ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

NT_2112

The Apple Watch has a vibration alarm and message notification too . LOML loves it but it is driving me crazy. The Text messages drive me crazy too, and the watch vibrates every time. I need serious and business messages, but I have a few extrovert friends and coworkers that use it to talk. I keep telling them "please only send me business notes!"
You can change that. Open the watch app on your phone and change the notification settings.

Top Bottom