What mold to use in a Harbor Freight Pressure Pot?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KMCloonan

After mixed results casting some resin blanks in ambient room temperature/pressure, I decided to give the Harbor Freight Pressure Pot a try. I did not get very far. I have just bought a new block mold from Exotic Blanks (Lizard Blanks Resin Casting Mold - 1.75 x 5.25 x 6 Pen Blank). It arrived mid week. I bought the pressure pot today.

One of the first things I wanted to do was build a small platform to flatten out the bottom of the tank. I measured the bottom inside diameter, and was about to cut a small piece of plywood into a circle when I thought to I would check to see how the new mold sat in the bottom of the tank.

Huh. It does not fit in the tank. I would never have thought the pressure pot was too small for this mold.

So, anyone else using the Harbor Freight Pressure Pot - do any of you use a block mold (instead of a mold with individual blank cavities? What mold do you use?

Thanks for any suggestions on molds that work for you.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

The vertical molds should work. I use the Maneater Craft Molds. They are horizontal or block molds. Tom the guy that makes them also uses them. He knows that most or at least the beginner casters use a HF or similar size pot. I'm not sure if he still offers them but he made a HDPE plate to flatten out the bottom. Plywood would work just as well but cleaning up spills would be more difficult.

KMCloonan

The vertical molds should work. I use the Maneater Craft Molds. They are horizontal or block molds. Tom the guy that makes them also uses them. He knows that most or at least the beginner casters use a HF or similar size pot. I'm not sure if he still offers them but he made a HDPE plate to flatten out the bottom. Plywood would work just as well but cleaning up spills would be more difficult.
Thank you Kenny. I will look into those molds.

Kenny Durrant

I think Penn State and maybe a few others carry them. Maneater has his own website as well. The vertical molds have been talked about here that Underhill makes. Good luck.

JohnU

I don't know how big your molds are or how close they fit but If it's just the corners hitting the edge of the tank, you can always belt sand the points off each. I've done that with some home made molds I needed for resin blocks. Everything else i vertical cast.

KMCloonan

I don't know how big your molds are or how close they fit but If it's just the corners hitting the edge of the tank, you can always belt sand the points off each. I've done that with some home made molds I needed for resin blocks. Everything else i vertical cast.
Thanks John - I definitely gave that some thought. I would only need to round off the corners to get it to fit. My only concern is whether I will have room to lower the mold into the tank. I'll think on it for a bit. Thanks again.

Kenny Durrant

Lower it into the tank? You mean no room for your fingers? If that's the case and you want something quick and easy until you find something else there's tape or wire. You can use a makeshift handle to get you by.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I have not encountered that specific problem, but I make handles on many of my "vessels" for stabilizing by adding a ring of
zip tie.

KMCloonan

Lower it into the tank? You mean no room for your fingers? If that's the case and you want something quick and easy until you find something else there's tape or wire. You can use a makeshift handle to get you by.
Yes, I was thinking about room for my fingers around the edges. I may make a strap handle to lower and raise the mold.

Stubach

I love lizard blank molds and after loving the 1x1x6 single cavities I invested in one of their .75x.75x6 3 cav models and haven't gone back. Your best bet is always a custom block mold but if your looking for a manufactured one try the 3cav. My 2.5 gal pot is a little ider and shorter than the HF but I'm guessing it will still fit.

FYI, Rocklers new mold is really nice but due to end to end layout it's way longer than most small pots will handle.

KMCloonan

I have a HF pot with 4 cavities and it fits perfect. I made a 3/4 inch thick circle for the bottom. First used 1/4 inch thick didn't last
I cut a circle of 1/2" plywood, and drilled a couple of 3/4" finger holes. I may lay a thin plastic sheet over it to catch any drips or splashing.

Painfullyslow

For those with the HF pressure pot: if all you want to do is level out the bottom of the pressure pot tank, couldn't you just pour epoxy in it to self-level and fill the cavity?

ccccchunt

Haha. I have the same problem. Now my pressure pot is mounted on it's side on top of my workbench. Works perfectly now!!! I built a set of chocks to hold it in place.

Top Bottom