What lubricant for quill?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Manonamission

Just received my new Jet1221VS. I cleaned the oil from the bed and bottom of the tool rest assembly and tailstock. I coated everything in paste wax. What should I use on the quill after I clean up the protectant it came coated in? Paste wax or something else?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ken T

Im sure someone much more experienced will chime in quickly with a better answer, but I use 'dry lube' (which isnt exactly dry) like you'd use in a lock or for door hinges. attracts a bit less dust and still does a good job.

monophoto

This is one of those 'different strokes' situations - - -

(a really bad pun)

I don't think you want to use something that remains sticky because it would attract dust, and there is always a lot of dust around a lathe. So something that you can apply and that will dry to leave a slippery surface is ideal.

I use white lithium grease - the spray that is sold for lubricating garage door rollers. I have also used silicone lubricants and even a teflon lubricant that I bought many years ago to lubricate my bicycle chain. I've never tried it, but a dry graphite lock lubricant might also work well.

howsitwork

Well Myford lathes use a thin oil applied via a grease nipple unit" it leaks out slightly past the front. Then I extend and wipe the excess off. I guess dry lube might work well but I've stuck with the makers lubricant and after 25 years all is still fine.

mjay

Powermatic, who also own Jet, advise 10wt machine oil to protect the ways and other parts. Avoid silicone, which will get into wood and prevent finishes from adhering.

Just received my new Jet1221VS. I cleaned the oil from the bed and bottom of the tool rest assembly and tailstock. I coated everything in paste wax. What should I use on the quill after I clean up the protectant it came coated in? Paste wax or something else?

Thanks!
There's a number of spray on dry lubricants.Glide coat is pretty good,a bostik product. It's PTFE in a can,so don't breathe it.Dries in seconds.You don't need much,probably just a touch on the quill thread.Good for lathe bed too.

Top Bottom