What kind of wood is this.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pen Joe

Help me ID this wood if possible, no Idea what it is it come with the Pen Lathe with a lot of pen kits and blanks, has a whisky like smell, course I don't drink so not sure, will attach photo of it and chips and of course the Pen, smooth action and does have a great sounding.

Attachments

• Lever Action 1.jpg
    Lever Action 1.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 202
  • Lever Action 2.jpg
    Lever Action 2.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 300
  • Lever Action 3.jpg
    Lever Action 3.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 262
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

Is the piece in the vise from the nib end of the blank ? Sanding the end of it down to about 400 grit and giving us a close-up of it might help . The white oak used in whiskey barrels is fairly distinctive in end view . Don`t see the rays I would expect from it on the pen . Have never seen any one post a picture of a pen made from a whiskey barrel blank that looks that attractive , either . Certainly doesn`t look like any of the whiskey or sherry barrel blanks that I have .

My first guess was olive , but the colour doesn`t look right .

Last edited:

Talltim

I would say Jim's guess at kingwood is a possibility or something from the dalbergia genus. The grain is a little different from kingwood and the growth rings are not as distinct as I would hope for that. Did it bleed a little purplish brown when you finished it?

Did it have a whiskey smell when you turned it or just when you were examining it beforehand? Looks too exotic to be a whiskey barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited:

Pen Joe

Thanks for the input, that cut piece in the vise is the same even after sanding, I want to give it as a gift to a fellow who has several guns and just wanted to give him a definition of what kind of wood, so you all will have to be the judge, got enough for one more pen, it did not bleed, smelt stronger during the cut than when turning, thanks for the compliment, Joe

Top Bottom