What is this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ZanderPommo

ZanderPommo

Found these pod like things while on a walk with the beagle, and liked the look of them. Glued six of them together after stabilizing slightly with CA then glued em drilled em and tried to turn em. This was a tough one, overall I invested at least 4 hours into making this, to a stunning result. I just wish I put it on a statesman or gent.

Filled some holes with crushed turquoise and then the others with a slurry of CA and gold mica powder.
Comments welcome!

SDC11966.jpg

SDC11968.jpg

SDC11970.jpg

SDC11975.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rfturner

That looks really good it is too bad though that it is not on a nicer kit. I see those seed pods quite often around where I live too. I almost glued some together for the ugly pen contest without filling them :biggrin:

low_48

I did a quick Google on tree seed pods and it looks like that is a Sweet Gum seed pod. Really nice pen!
Oops, desertrat beat me to it. At least we agreed.

Rich

Last edited:

robutacion

Very nicely done, indeed...!:wink:

Is the turquoise you crashed, the real thing (stone) or a synthetic one...???

Some of our local Casuarinas have identical pods, only the female trees produce them and they become a bit of a pest as these pods grow into trees very fast and with little difficulty so, a trouble tree species.:frown:

The way you put it all together is very effective, and I see no reason now that you know what to do and how it looks, to make another one and put it in a better kit as you hinted...!:wink::biggrin:

Spend a bit of time making a few extra blanks and you will have no problems in selling them here..!:rolleyes:

Cheers
George

ZanderPommo

seems to be real but I cannot be sure, it was advertised as turquois "real stone"

Very nicely done, indeed...!:wink:

Is the turquoise you crashed, the real thing (stone) or a synthetic one...???

Some of our local Casuarinas have identical pods, only the female trees produce them and they become a bit of a pest as these pods grow into trees very fast and with little difficulty so, a trouble tree species.:frown:

The way you put it all together is very effective, and I see no reason now that you know what to do and how it looks, to make another one and put it in a better kit as you hinted...!:wink::biggrin:

Spend a bit of time making a few extra blanks and you will have no problems in selling them here..!:rolleyes:

Cheers
George

wiset1

WOW...! Really great work on this one, I wonder how this would look on a larger kit. I bet you could ask for a couple hundred from one of those. Really dynamic

ZanderPommo

WOW...! Really great work on this one, I wonder how this would look on a larger kit. I bet you could ask for a couple hundred from one of those. Really dynamic

Yes I would like to and I dont care if they like it or not I'd price it (on a decent fountain kit) at at least 175-225
theres simply too much work to ask for less

Dai Sensei

Looks like a great result to me :cool:

I have made a few from the Sheoak pods we have here in Aus the George mentioned. You soon find out the hard way if it is real turquoise, it will grind away your chisel, instead of the chisel cutting the turquoise :eek:

Old Lar

You have much more patience than me. That is a very different look and I like it. We don't have any sweetgum trees in our area, but after seeing this one, I'd say if pen turners are in the area, there will be fewer trees reseeded this next year.
Great job!

David Keller

Cool looking pen... I hated these as a kid since they would jam up the wheels on the lawnmower at times and launch out from under the mower like missiles at others!

PaulDoug

I've seen those pods or similar around my area but have never heard anyone talk of a Sweet Gum tree. I almost picked some up once to try making a pen out of but didn't. Now I will probably never find any more. If I do, I have a pressure pot and I know what will happen to them. I like your pen. Nice work. I do think someone on this site did cast them once before. I kinda sorta remember...

BSea

I had 1 of those trees in my yard. I absolutely hated it. In fact I had it cut down. I'm glad somebody found something useful for those things. In a bad year (or good year if you harvest sweet gum balls) they'd totally cover the ground beneath them maybe 2 deep.

But you found a really interesting use for them. I saw someone else post a pen he made from them. Maybe I shouldn't have cut that tree down. :rolleyes:

We have those pods by the mega ton, I do believe it is sweet gum and I do believe the pods fall in the spring and I do believe I missed the opportunity to pic some up and try casting them :O(.
But yah That pen is awesome but sure would have been more awesomer:eek: if it was on a nicer kit. I love the turqouise in there.

edavisj316

Man you beat me to it. I picked up a bunch of them this spring but do not have the stuff to start casting yet. Another that I want to try are Crape Myrtle seed pods.

The pen looks great! I would like to see what it would look like on a larger pen. I guess I have another incintive to get started with my own casting.

jskeen

Leave it up to a Cajun to try to sell somebody sweetgum balls:biggrin: Do you sell cockleburrs as porcupine eggs too?

Just kidding, I'm sure there is some poor deprived yankee out there that really needs those and can't find any.

What's next, exporting red ants, or mosquitoes? You know, if you could ship Louisiana mosquitoes live, you could sell them to shooting clubs as live targets. They are about the same size as doves, and not nearly as cute and cuddly, so the PETA crowd might not harass you about it. Then again, those folks probably would object to shotgunning mosquitoes on the wing. Oh well.

Then of course there is the liability issue, if one of them got away and bit some poor yankee, he would probably end up in the hospital.

Last edited:
haha I am a yankee living amongst cajuns. I come from Illinois. 45 Min out of Chicago, and this is a different part of the world let me tell you. Anyhoo I am not selling these, I just happen to see them on ETSy. If anyone is interested though I could send some for the cost of postage maybe $5.00 for the cost of a small flat rate box? No profit for me, just the shipping. I don`t have tons of these, if it was earlier spring I might but the lawn has been mowed 2 times and crushing is occuring. The ones I have are whole round ones.

MorganGrafixx

Yep! Those are the seed pods from a sweet gum tree. Down here in Jaw-jah, they are so abundant, you might make a case for them to be our state flower!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Top Bottom