What is this wood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

fiferb

My uncle in Indiana got this from a woodworker and gave it to me. He said it was maple but I've never seen maple with this flame in it. Has anyone seen this in maple or have any idea what it is? Thanks.

20069262339_Small%20Bowl.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vick

Looks like box elder to me. The red is something that you occasionally get with box elder and I have heard refered to as flame box elder.

jtate

I hear that this stuff gets this red coloration after the ambrosia beetle attacks the tree. This beetle carries a fungus along with it and the fungus is what stains the wood red. I've also heard that, unfortunately, given enough light the lovely red color will fade to brown. And I suppose we all fade to brown eventually anyway so why not this wood too... A little morbid but true.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by jtate
<br />I hear that this stuff gets this red coloration after the ambrosia beetle attacks the tree. This beetle carries a fungus along with it and the fungus is what stains the wood red. I've also heard that, unfortunately, given enough light the lovely red color will fade to brown. And I suppose we all fade to brown eventually anyway so why not this wood too... A little morbid but true.

That description sounds a lot like how ambrosia MAPLE happens but I have never heard the red coloring of box elder to come from the ambrosia beetle.
Do you have a source for this?

Woodnknots

Originally posted by jtate
<br />I hear that this stuff gets this red coloration after the ambrosia beetle attacks the tree. This beetle carries a fungus along with it and the fungus is what stains the wood red. I've also heard that, unfortunately, given enough light the lovely red color will fade to brown. And I suppose we all fade to brown eventually anyway so why not this wood too... A little morbid but true.
The "ambrosia" beetles that most people think cause "ambrosia" maple are actually the columbian timber beetle. I learned that from my sawyer, who has a 4 year wood science degree. He doesn't know when the term "ambrosia" maple started, or why, but it is actually a misleading name, considering the actual origin of the "ambrosia" marks.

Doghouse

actualy it is the box elder beetle that does that.
http://www.ivyhall.district96.k12.il.us/4TH/KKHP/1INSECTS/boxelder.html
I keep trying to get my hands on some, but not much luck so far.

Woodnknots

I was reffering to ambrosia maple. Here is a site with some great pics of what can result in different species of wood from the same pest.

http://www.forestryimages.org/browse/subimages.cfm?SUB=364

edit: Apparently, columbian timber beetles are in an ambrosia family. Lots of different beetles are in this family. Not alot of explanations about it, but that's what I've gathered.

alamocdc

I'm not trying to be nit picky or start anything, John, but the Box Elder "bug" is actually Arthropoda: Insecta: Hemiptera: Rhopalidae: Boisea trivittatus. Apparently the two hemipterans are so closely related that one is often confused for the other. This bug (and it is a true bug - Order Hemiptera) feeds off the leaves and stems of the host tree. The Columbian Timber Beetle larva is actually the beast responsible for the staining we see in Maple and Box Elder. They even have similar effects in Oak and other timbers.

jeffm19

I would say that's box elder, which is a kin to soft maple but with some really nice red streaked heartwood. I've got my eye on a curly boxelder that I've waiting for the sap to fall, so I can fell and bunk it and slice it up on my mill. I'm having a hard time waiting though, because I got a feeling it's going to make for some very interesting turning material.

low_48

Originally posted by Doghouse
<br />actualy it is the box elder beetle that does that.
http://www.ivyhall.district96.k12.il.us/4TH/KKHP/1INSECTS/boxelder.html
I keep trying to get my hands on some, but not much luck so far.

Doghouse, How many bugs do you want? We're getting closer to frost time around here and I think I can still find some of those critters. I don't know how many I can get in a flat rate envelope, but it's a good thing they are kinda flat already! I've made spalting piles, but never turned bugs loose to do their thing!![}:)][}:)]

Seriously, do you want pen blanks or boards? I've got alot of flame blanks.

BigRob777

I've seen a lot of this stuff on IAP and ebay, and always wonder if the red turns color at some point. I've got some curly box elder, which has green tint to it, in large blotches. It's waxed and I'm waiting to learn bowl turning to try some out.

BTW, Rich: I missed that typo of John's. I love these "What kind of wood..." posts. There's a lot of knowledge here.
Rob

fiferb

Wow. This thread took on a life much longer than I expected. Great information and thanks. I'm disappointed to hear the color will change. At least the figure will still be good. Here's a pen I made out of the same piece of wood.

<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
200610622252_Box%20Elder%20Small%20File.jpg
<br />

DocStram

Bruce,
I suggest that you send me 5 or 6 blocks, bowl turning size, so I can conduct a full analysis in my shop .... errrr .. I mean, lab. Rest assured that there will not be a fee for my lab time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom