What is the best buffing system for a CA finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lmstretch

I am looking at purchasing a buffing system to enhance the finish on pens I have turned and applied a CA finish. I know there are several systems on the market, but I am looking for recommendations.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cozee

I am a body man by trade so cutting and buffing is a way of life for me. I simply wet sand then 3 step compound (3M compounds) followed by a good nano wax. All done on the lathe in about 5 minutes or less. I have been accused of Photoshopping pictures of my CA finishes t ad in sharp edged reflection lines.

Last edited:

pshrynk

What is the difference between a buffing wheel and One Step compound? I do the One Step on the lathe and haven't noticed a problem, but am curious to see if I'm missing out on something.

greenacres2

I have Peachtree's 3 wheel system set up on a lathe, but lately have been using Novus 3 step after Micro Mesh on Glu Boost--and really liking the result. Steps 3 & 2 are applied at about 350 RPM, then lathe off and in grain direction. The polish (Step 1) is just with lathe on. I'm liking it on Alumilite with no CA also, but i need to work on that technique a bit.

edit--clarifying...the Novus is applied with blue shop towel, not the buffing wheels. On the Alumilite, i may try the White Diamond wheel before and/or after the the Novus Step 1...just thinking out loud there.

earl

Last edited:

Curly

The problem with asking a "What's the best?" Kind of question is that very few have tried all the systems and methods. So what you'll get are the "What works for me." kind of answers. That said what works for us is the Beall Buffing System, one of the earliest so it gets copied and "improved" a lot. Caswell has a lot of polishing information and products. That's a good place to start and get good products so you can form your own what works best.

dogcatcher

I drilled and tapped blocks to fit my headstock threads. Then drilled and tapped from the end for 1/2" bolts to hold the buffing wheels in place. This cost me a few dollars in wood, bolts and washers for about 15 sets. All of my buffing wheels come from Caswell Plating. I used the advice of Tex at Durango for purchasing teh wheels and compounds.

I eventually made one of these for each buffing wheel that I have. They fit nice in 1 gallon zip bags. I keep the wheel and it's buffing compound in one bag. My wife also does jewelry and uses one of the lathe for buffing, so I have about 15 different wheels and compound combinations. These wheel mandrels fit 1-8 threads,

The 3rd pic works the same way, but I used a piece of all thread to make the bolt part, This was made for the fun of it. But it works great for my specialty buffing wheels.

I high recommend that you label your wheels to the compound that you use on that one. These pics were taken before I screwed up and used them out of sequence. You Never want to mix compounds on one wheel, and you DO NOT WANT to polish anything wood with a wheel that is used for metal items.

Attachments

• buffing wheel a2_640x480.jpg
    buffing wheel a2_640x480.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 209
  • buffing wheel a1_640x480.jpg
    buffing wheel a1_640x480.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 198
  • Buffing Wheel_640x480.jpg
    Buffing Wheel_640x480.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 195

TonyL

CA and Non-Woods Buffing Station

I do not know what the best is, but I do this and I am happy with the results on CA and non-woods.

Attachments

• 4 Stage DIY Polishing and Buffing System_updated 1_15_16.pdf
    665.3 KB · Views: 200
  • Buffing Station.jpg
    Buffing Station.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 171
Top Bottom