What is it made with...???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Well, you tell me, and the blank is yours, free of any charges.

015.JPG 016.JPG

We all know that, I use PR (Polyester) resin but, what did I use on this cast, apart from the resin...???:wink::biggrin:

Infact, you will get "it" and another 3 other quality wood blanks, that you can give a hint, of what you would like...!:)

This simple...!

Good luck,
Cheers
George

robutacion

Hi peoples,

Here we go again, huh...??

I'm sorry that I haven't done much here on IAP this month, there are a few reasons why, believe it or not, I tend to go quite, every so often, never a good sign but, life goes on...!

I made this blank when I made my last 2 larges casts, hint, hint...!:wink:

I can also say that, this "stuff" is made in, guess where....?, China off-course...!

I'm not 100% sure but I believe, these "things" are made with China own resources (raw materials), there are sold in a special form/shape...!

I will be happy to have a pic/or link, of what you think it is, I can not give it a specific name either so, you either can explain in detail what I'm talking about or a pic, will do me...!

As far as the "suggestions" made so far, is obvious that, some of you really think that I can make pen blanks out of anything, huh...???:biggrin:

I can also say that, this experimentation was a big disappointment to me, I created and image of what I thought it would come up but, I forgot about some of the laws of physics and a little of geometry so, I wasn't happy with the results at all however, I thought that would be a good "model" to use on these questions games of mine...!

Now, I need someone to get it right and think out of the box, and dress it on a pen kit that will change my present negative perception of this blank. I know/or I would expect that, the mix of the macropearl and the clear resin pockets, will created a possible very interesting effect if the tube, reverse painting or, a combination of both is performed in it, I have a suspicion that, the "stuff" I used with the resin, will pop-up in a good way, I may like it more, then.

I could have experimented myself but, where would be the fun on that...???:wink:

PS: I forgot to say that, no one got even close...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:

robutacion

Hi folks,

Sorry but, no one has given me a satisfactory answer or even close...!

In the continuation of my "hints", these "things" are dyed with other colours, I've seen brown at least, making it look very much like a natural product that I'm more familiar with but, once again, the natural colour they use is the white(ish) and any other colours, are simply a imitation, as they so expertly do with some many other things...!

I'm no racist and have nothing against Chinese people, I had some good friends that are Chinese, I'm just stating a true reality and one that I'm glad we have otherwise, we all wouldn't be having so many toys and other stuff to play with...!

Anyway, were was I...??, oh yeah, the colours they make them with...! So, they are made manually,to a certain shape, they send them up here, in packs of different sizes, in the 2 main predominant colours, the light beige and dark brown, of which I used to attempt another idea but this time, I used nearly 1 Lt of resin to create this cast, that has been share here on IAP, the brown dye used, did almost all come off from the resin reaction however, it is still visible in the shape I cut that blank, to...!

Any closer, anyone...???

Cheers
George

robutacion

Nope, none of that...!

Hint #3:

These things like to grow in rainforest type environments, when dry can be used to make lots of different stuff, quite strong material, particularly if used close together.

Finished items shapes vary, some of the most known/popular are round, very versatile in the craft world...!

That's enough for now...!

Cheers
George

mywoodshopca

Charlottetown, PEI Canada, Derby Kansas and Canyon
Nope, none of that...!

Hint #3:

These things like to grow in rainforest type environments, when dry can be used to make lots of different stuff, quite strong material, particularly if used close together.

Finished items shapes vary, some of the most known/popular are round, very versatile in the craft world...!

That's enough for now...!

Cheers
George

Hemp rope fibers?

robutacion

Humm....!!

You guys are now on the right track, I need the "correct" name, the one is in the tag of the bag these come in.

According to my search, this is a unique product and one that seems to have only one "common" name. I may not be 100% correct nevertheless, that is the name I'm looking for.

I recall lots of stuff made from what I thought was the same material but, that is not correct, each one has its own names and characteristics...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom