What Indulgent Tool Do You Have

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

I think this will be a fun discussion. Show a tool you have bought, that is on the indulgent side. By that I mean something probably overpriced, that you can easily do without, but you don't want too because you really like it. We might even see something we didn't even know existed. I'll start out with this rule from Woodpeckers, it meets the criteria, definitely overpriced, but I find myself reaching for it all the time. It is a luxury I could do without, but I love it. Now let's see your's
4469BDE1-FF5B-4F1A-A0C2-EE056797CFE2.jpeg
CCDEDA33-B9C0-4EC7-B128-159BD6B540E8.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I recently bought a Byrnes thickness sander. A bit indulgent but the time savings truing up knife scales is well worth the money spent.
Had to think hard about this one but I am going to be in the same boat as Tom. I often said many times here and to myself I have no need for such an expensive little tablesaw and thickness planer. I can do all my segmenting and other work with my larger tools and this is very true because of jigs you make. But a couple years ago I put an ad on a woodworking forum for the Byrnes tablesaw and sander. Just so happen I got an answer of a person who basically thought the same thing I was and now just wanted to get rid of them. He made me a rediculous offer that no way could I say no. The tablesaw had all the bells and whistles to go with it. Pulled the trigger and now they sit on a rolling bench all set up. I ran a couple pieces of wood through each to see if they worked and they are just fine. Then I decided well let me add an overpriced shop vac and have that dedicated to those tools and I bought a Festool introductory line shop vac that cost more than the tools, the bench, and lighting setup combined. Will I ever use them? who knows but they look good sitting there on that new workbench.

Can add another. Was very big into scrollsawing for well over 30 years. Ran into some good deals on top of the line scrollsaws. 2 RBI's (220vs and 226vs), Hegner 18"VS and a Dewalt788vs. Can only cut on one at a time so last summer I hesitated but sold the Hegner and Dewalt. Buyers got good saws for a good price. My go to saws are the RBI'S.

Oh what the heck, at one time I thought I was going to do alot more metal work with both hobbies and went and bought a tabletop metal brake for bending metals. Have yet to use it but it too sits on a nice looking workbench.

This one doesn't rival some here, but I splurged on the Woodpecker Ultra-Sheer Pen Mill. Got the full set and love it, saves me so much time and work for cleaning up blanks. It can be quite aggressive but once you get the hang of it the thing cuts like butter.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Fein Multi-tool, the original multi-tool for decades;
Makita 12" CSMS;
Festool RO 150.

I would like the Woodpecker 1281 square; will get it one day.

I've got a few of the older squares, etc from Bridge City before they were sold to Harvey. Brass and rosewood stuff that I just enjoy using on the rare occasion I have use of them. From the business side I've just started buying the best tool possible for the job... Our high energy finishing machine does in 20 minutes what used to take a couple days. At 30k it hurt, a lot, to buy but the efficiency is hard to beat. We COULD wait 7 days for blanks to cure as well but I've got a 7ft tall oven in the shop now so we can cure blanks in 14 hours instead.

This one doesn't rival some here, but I splurged on the Woodpecker Ultra-Sheer Pen Mill. Got the full set and love it, saves me so much time and work for cleaning up blanks. It can be quite aggressive but once you get the hang of it the thing cuts like butter.

I'm with you on this one... Glad I spent the money on it. I only turn a pen to test new stuff these days or for gifts but that thing makes quick work of trimming. It's great for fountain pen making as well as you can get a REALLY clean cut on pieces you're cutting to length and it's dead straight every time.

jttheclockman

Yea that tractor needs to sit in the garage and just look good. But I do not think John Deere will be calling you to model their equipment for sale. o_O

Dieseldoc

I've got a few of the older squares, etc from Bridge City before they were sold to Harvey. Brass and rosewood stuff that I just enjoy using on the rare occasion I have use of them. From the business side I've just started buying the best tool possible for the job... Our high energy finishing machine does in 20 minutes what used to take a couple days. At 30k it hurt, a lot, to buy but the efficiency is hard to beat. We COULD wait 7 days for blanks to cure as well but I've got a 7ft tall oven in the shop now so we can cure blanks in 14 hours instead.
I'm like Tim, have all of the Bridge city stuff before then sold out. Have one of Harvey table saw tools, lot of cash but to the great of a purchase.

Fine Engineer

I started woodworking with a cheap, old Craftsman 1 hp. table saw. I was able to make some pretty nice projects with it, but it was a real chore. The fence was difficult to adjust, and anything other than softwood or fairly thin hardwood was impossible to cut without burning (and then the requisite eternity spent sanding the burn marks off). So when I was able, I bought a 3 hp. JET cabinet saw. I then needed to run 220V power to the shop to use it.

Now even 2 1/2" oak just breezes through. The fence is straight, true and easy to set. The extension table often doubles as a workbench, and eventually will double as a router table once I purchase a router lift to insert into it.

I could easily do with a good contractor's saw, that would be half the price of the Jet. But I really love having the capability that tool affords me, even though it takes up an inordinate amount of space in the limited shop space.

I'm with you on this one... Glad I spent the money on it. I only turn a pen to test new stuff these days or for gifts but that thing makes quick work of trimming. It's great for fountain pen making as well as you can get a REALLY clean cut on pieces you're cutting to length and it's dead straight every time.

Yeah, I really like the mill. Getting clean ends saves so much work and without dealing with a sander.

Top Bottom