What I was making before I found pen turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from NGLJ

NGLJ

Before my recent move into pen turning I was making bowls and boxes. A few examples are attached. The softwood bowl was made from the pallet that my Laguna lathe arrived on.

Attachments

• P1010191.jpg
    P1010191.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCN0210.jpg
    DSCN0210.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 116
  • P1010201.jpg
    P1010201.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 121
  • P1010251.JPG
    P1010251.JPG
    189.4 KB · Views: 119
  • softwood bowl.JPG
    softwood bowl.JPG
    263.9 KB · Views: 131
  • 2021-09-29_8-47-35.jpg
    2021-09-29_8-47-35.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 135
  • DSCN0204.jpg
    DSCN0204.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 119
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NGLJ

Thank for your post. I don't plan to give up on them in particular the segmented bowl turning. Right now I am trying to get up the pen turning learning curve. Then I can give some nice xmas presents :). I tried the scrollsaw but can't seem to master it. Perhaps I need to spend more time on it.

howsitwork

Graham

I like the bowl work, very tasteful and skilled. The soft wood bowl - are the upper lines incised into the surface or burned in as they don't extend through the segments?

RichAldrich

Thank for your post. I don't plan to give up on them in particular the segmented bowl turning. Right now I am trying to get up the pen turning learning curve. Then I can give some nice xmas presents :). I tried the scrollsaw but can't seem to master it. Perhaps I need to spend more time on it.
JT jtheclockman is the guy to talk to about scrolling.

Your segmenting is awesome! Great form and finish. The soft wood bowl is fantastic. Good work!

NGLJ

Graham

I like the bowl work, very tasteful and skilled. The soft wood bowl - are the upper lines incised into the surface or burned in as they don't extend through the segments?
I assume that it is Thirsk in Yorkshire. From one Tyke to another thanks for your post. I was born in Brayton just outside Selby but have been on this side of the pond since 1981. BTW I used to work for ICI at Billingham.

howsitwork

I assume that it is Thirsk in Yorkshire. From one Tyke to another thanks for your post. I was born in Brayton just outside Selby but have been on this side of the pond since 1981. BTW I used to work for ICI at Billingham.
Blimey it's a small world!

I'm a "monkey hanger " and lived in Billingham for a while before Durham then here. I view it as missionary work living here ! After 23 years I'm semi-naturalised and love it.

NGLJ

That's a wow
Thanks. I really don't want to come across the wrong way. I thought my work was Ok but honestly didn't think of my work as particularly good. Mind you, like most woodworkers, I am hypercritical of my work and always ready to praise others. Maybe I should listen more to my wife :). As pen beginner I am in awe of some of the stuff here and don't see myself reaching such lofty heights.

NGLJ

John T said "don't give up on your other woodworking" and I took that to heart as demonstrated by the attached photos :). The woods are maple, walnut, padauk, sapele & one more. Can you identify it? I now find myself working on pens and other stuff at the same time. When one is cooking the other one needs stirring, and of course the brain is always working on the next new bowl or pen!

Attachments

• 2021-10-26_9-16-05.png
    2021-10-26_9-16-05.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 77
  • 2021-10-26_9-25-20.png
    2021-10-26_9-25-20.png
    847.4 KB · Views: 80

RGVPens

Your bowls are beautiful! I've never tried them, but I have made some trinket/jewelry boxs I'm trying to learn pens...and turning in general as I've never done it.
As a scroll saw artist wood is about the only common denominator. But I'm already hooked!
Here is a sample of what I do. Soon to add pens to my shows.

Attachments

• IMG_0371.jpg
    IMG_0371.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1585.jpg
    IMG_1585.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1632.jpg
    IMG_1632.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1663.jpg
    IMG_1663.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1678.jpg
    IMG_1678.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1854.jpg
    IMG_1854.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 66
  • James Bond.jpg
    James Bond.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1263.jpg
    IMG_1263.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 68
  • Unicorn.jpg
    Unicorn.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 74

NGLJ

Marvelous. I wish I was that good with the scrollsaw but I guess there aren't enough hours in a day to be good at every aspect of the great hobby of woodworking. We all have to make some choices. You are talented and you will soon find the fascination of pen making just as enjoyable, as I have recently. I am sure you will find ways of blending the two together. I only started turning about 9 months ago and wished I had tried sooner. So many things to try and not enough years left!

RGVPens

Marvelous. I wish I was that good with the scrollsaw but I guess there aren't enough hours in a day to be good at every aspect of the great hobby of woodworking. We all have to make some choices. You are talented and you will soon find the fascination of pen making just as enjoyable, as I have recently. I am sure you will find ways of blending the two together. I only started turning about 9 months ago and wished I had tried sooner. So many things to try and not enough years left!
I hear you there! I wish I had found pen turning a couple of years ago!

I figure I can put out a quality product that commands a good price fairly soon. I might be using the same kit as another vender selling pens...but each wood or plastic blank I use, and the way I turn it smooth, bump, dip, maybe some grooves will make it unique. And if I keep on learning I'll eventually get into the more expensive sales once in a while.

jttheclockman

John T said "don't give up on your other woodworking" and I took that to heart as demonstrated by the attached photos :). The woods are maple, walnut, padauk, sapele & one more. Can you identify it? I now find myself working on pens and other stuff at the same time. When one is cooking the other one needs stirring, and of course the brain is always working on the next new bowl or pen!
That would be oak as the center piece.

jttheclockman

Your bowls are beautiful! I've never tried them, but I have made some trinket/jewelry boxs I'm trying to learn pens...and turning in general as I've never done it.
As a scroll saw artist wood is about the only common denominator. But I'm already hooked!
Here is a sample of what I do. Soon to add pens to my shows.
Love the scroll work. Nice and clean cuts. What scrollsaw are you using?? Here some of what I do. Have been scrolling for over 35 years now.

Copy of IMGP0476.JPG
Copy of IMGP0481.JPG

NGLJ

I should have mentioned that I am referring to the dark wood that makes up most of the bowl. A clue would be that it is a bit of trick question.

jttheclockman

Sorry that is not correct. The center piece is walnut.
OH ok I am not guessing because when people do posts like that, their photos are not suitable for wood selections. Happens all the time when people ask about pen blanks. A little piece of wood and you are suppose to know what species it is from thousands to choose from. Whatever wood it is the finished product looks good. Keep at it.

NGLJ

OH ok I am not guessing because when people do posts like that, their photos are not suitable for wood selections. Happens all the time when people ask about pen blanks. A little piece of wood and you are suppose to know what species it is from thousands to choose from. Whatever wood it is the finished product looks good. Keep at it.
I am very sorry if I have created offence. That was the last thing I wanted. What I thought might be a little fun obviously didn't turn out that way. You are quite right it can be difficult to tell from less than perfect photography. It is in fact also maple, torrefied maple. Be assured no more such questions from me.

RGVPens

Love the scroll work. Nice and clean cuts. What scrollsaw are you using?? Here some of what I do. Have been scrolling for over 35 years now.

View attachment 319715View attachment 319716
I've seen you on Scroll Saw Village before John. I'm using a King 16" and really like it. Some day I may switch to a 21", maybe a Pegas. I got the 16" so it would be easy to pack up in the 5th wheel and take south for the winter. But we just sold the house in MO and moved back to the RGV, sold the 5th wheel also, so I don't have to pack it any more.

I've done mostly smaller work, but have been a fan of your work. I may start more of that kind soon. I've always thought your golf ball clocks were cute and may ask you questions later. This is about the only clock I've made in quite a while. I think Kevin does a lot.

Attachments

• IMG_1036.jpg
    IMG_1036.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 65

jttheclockman

I am very sorry if I have created offence. That was the last thing I wanted. What I thought might be a little fun obviously didn't turn out that way. You are quite right it can be difficult to tell from less than perfect photography. It is in fact also maple, torrefied maple. Be assured no more such questions from me.
There was no offence taken on my part. Again the typed word gets misread. I made a guess and just mentioned it is hard to tell wood variables from photos. It happens here all the time. There are so many species of wood out there from around the world. You are well into the segmenting of wooden bowls and that is great. I never even tried one. I am not into making bowls. But I love to look at peoples eye candy. Malcolm Tibbetts is the turner I admire the most that is into segmenting. If this turns you away from asking questions then I am sorry. But keep having fun and keep showing us your work.

jttheclockman

I've seen you on Scroll Saw Village before John. I'm using a King 16" and really like it. Some day I may switch to a 21", maybe a Pegas. I got the 16" so it would be easy to pack up in the 5th wheel and take south for the winter. But we just sold the house in MO and moved back to the RGV, sold the 5th wheel also, so I don't have to pack it any more.

I've done mostly smaller work, but have been a fan of your work. I may start more of that kind soon. I've always thought your golf ball clocks were cute and may ask you questions later. This is about the only clock I've made in quite a while. I think Kevin does a lot.
Looks good Gary. I too make many of those small desk clocks. They are good sellers. Hey if there is any questions I can answer let them fly. Always glad to help.

NGLJ

There was no offence taken on my part. Again the typed word gets misread. I made a guess and just mentioned it is hard to tell wood variables from photos. It happens here all the time. There are so many species of wood out there from around the world. You are well into the segmenting of wooden bowls and that is great. I never even tried one. I am not into making bowls. But I love to look at peoples eye candy. Malcolm Tibbetts is the turner I admire the most that is into segmenting. If this turns you away from asking questions then I am sorry. But keep having fun and keep showing us your work.
I am glad that I didn't create offence. I really like this forum and intend to keep an active involvement because I know that I can learn so much here. As far as segmented turning is concerned I am a complete beginner. You mentioned Malcolm Tibbets who is amazing. My recent work was probably my best so far and like most things in woodworking many failures before some success. It is always advisable to wear eye/face protection when turning, especially segmented turning. When a piece flashes by your ear and disappears into the depths of your shop, possibly never to be seen again, you know there is a lot more to learn :).

Top Bottom