What I am missing with Sierra Style whose body is secured only of the finial end? I can seldom get the grip section re-secured to the transmission.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I have experienced this issue dozens of times and have to missing something given the popularity of these pens. How to I re-engage the grip section to the to the transmission?
Sometimes I can catch the threads of the transmission extension, but very often I cannot. Thank you.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

larryc

This is a design flaw in the Sierra pens. It happens when you unscrew the cap end with the transmission inside it. Then when you try to screw it back onto the nib the transmission gets pushed back into the cap.
I solve this problem by placing a 1/4" length of a 1/4" dowel into the cap before assembling the pen.

jttheclockman

Tony, you won the title for the longest title of a thread ever posted on IAP Can you post a photo of what you are asking?? Do not understand it. Are you talking elegant sierras ???

If you are doing as Larry said you are doing it wrong. That cap needs to be pulled off and not screwed off. I always take a small pair of channel lock pliers and give a quick extra effort twist to tighten to the body. I show my customers this too. This keeps from unscrewing the tranny when twisting to retract pen

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Tony,

The transmission is probably being pushed up into the finial because the refill is being pushed in. It is really important not to force the refill. Rotate it back and forth in your fingers until it seats.

I usually put a drop of Loc-Tite at the top of the transmission and I include instructions, with pictures on how to change the refill

Attachments

• Change Ink Refill of Columbus Ballpopint Pen.doc
    14 KB · Views: 134

TonyL

Thank you all.

JT: where do I pick up my award? I have so many to thank for my achievement LOL. I actually tried to make the title longer, but I ran out of room :).

I have many to fix. I feel badly for the folks that I gave these to or purchased from me (none did come back though - lucky or they didn't bother).

Thank you again!

jttheclockman

Thank you all.

JT: where do I pick up my award? I have so many to thank for my achievement LOL. I actually tried to make the title longer, but I ran out of room :).

I have many to fix. I feel badly for the folks that I gave these to or purchased from me (none did come back though - lucky or they didn't bother).

Thank you again!

I think you were just testing the limits of the new software. I believe you could not write that long of a title on the old system. You will get your prize when you fix all those pens you sent out.

vtgaryw

Tony, you won the title for the longest title of a thread ever posted on IAP Can you post a photo of what you are asking?? Do not understand it. Are you talking elegant sierras ???

If you are doing as Larry said you are doing it wrong. That cap needs to be pulled off and not screwed off. I always take a small pair of channel lock pliers and give a quick extra effort twist to tighten to the body. I show my customers this too. This keeps from unscrewing the tranny when twisting to retract pen

The pen making world is actually pretty split on this issue. You'll find people saying pull it off, and people saying untwist. I personally have had better luck with untwisting it, and that's what I now recommend to my customers. The few damaged Sierras I've had come back to me (not always mine, people bring me pens from other people too that I always help out with) I'm pretty sure came from people trying to pull the top off.

-gary

TonyL

I just messed-up another one as I was on the phone with a member explaining to me what not to do. This kit is not for me. I have about 10 more like that. There's got to be a better way.
Just goes to show you that you don't have to be bright to pass the CPA exam. :)

I am going to trying using red loctite on the extension/transmission and replace the refill by unscrewing the lower section.

jttheclockman

Do as you wish but what I found is when you unscrew or screw them on the tube now becomes too large and it begins to spin on the tranny. I will stay with the pull off. Good luck whatever method you choose.

rholiday

Tony,

Use the Ellipse from Exotic Blanks. It was an Exotic Blanks' kit that was designed to address this problem. EB may have other of their own designs that work the same way.
Here is a link to an old discussion of this problem --

Bob

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The ellipse and later the diamond knurl both resolve the problem by allowing the penmaker to put adhesive on the transmission,
the nose comes off for refill replacement.

If you don't want to use adhesive, and someone pushes the transmission in too far, you can remove the finial piece and push on
the end of the transmission, making it available for the threads to engage again. (Bonus to the design!!)

I don't know of a sierra that can be refilled from the nose.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I don't know why I never had that problem except that I do something more or less instinctively: I do twist slightly as I pull the top off, but I instinctively twist as though I am tightening it - as I pull the top off. Do you sort of twist as though loosening it as you pull it off?
I am right handed, and holding the nib end in my left hand, I use my right hand to twist slightly clockwise and pull. This keeps the transmission in tight as I pull it off.

If you are left handed or if you hold the nib end with your right hand and twist counter clockwise with your left hand, you will be loosening it as you pull it apart. This seems to me to be the possible problem. These type of actions are instinctive and sometimes our instincts get us into trouble because we take it for granted that everyone does this.

Instinct: we do something without thinking about it and often overlook that aspect.

TonyL

I don't know why I never had that problem except that I do something more or less instinctively: I do twist slightly as I pull the top off, but I instinctively twist as though I am tightening it - as I pull the top off. Do you sort of twist as though loosening it as you pull it off?
I am right handed, and holding the nib end in my left hand, I use my right hand to twist slightly clockwise and pull. This keeps the transmission in tight as I pull it off.

If you are left handed or if you hold the nib end with your right hand and twist counter clockwise with your left hand, you will be loosening it as you pull it apart. This seems to me to be the possible problem. These type of actions are instinctive and sometimes our instincts get us into trouble because we take it for granted that everyone does this.

Instinct: we do something without thinking about it and often overlook that aspect.
I do not remember what I do (must do it wrong institutionally :)) I am consistent though! Thanks!

leehljp

Member Liaison
Tony,
Because you are consistent with the problem and many or most are not, that speaks to a "technique" problem. That is why I suggested the "technique" of looking at how you are taking the cap off. You should not have to be "re-engaging" it. If you are, then that is a technique issue. That is overcome by holding the nib end with the left hand, and with the right hand twist slightly clockwise as you pull the cap off. This keeps the transmission tight, in place and the cap comes off as it should.

TonyL

Tony,
Because you are consistent with the problem and many or most are not, that speaks to a "technique" problem. That is why I suggested the "technique" of looking at how you are taking the cap off. You should not have to be "re-engaging" it. If you are, then that is a technique issue. That is overcome by holding the nib end with the left hand, and with the right hand twist slightly clockwise as you pull the cap off. This keeps the transmission tight, in place and the cap comes off as it should.
Thank you. I agree.

Top Bottom