Jeer What happened to PSI?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joebobber

I don't know what happened to PSI but man has their customer service gone way downhill. It used to be bad, except for the 1 nice lady that would always answer. She must've been either having a few bad days or she needs a few days off. No one knows what products they sell. They expect you to.know part numbers but all you have is a kit number... so they direct you to someone else who is even more rude and clueless. It seems like it doesn't even matter what the problem is either. The last time I was so mad I was never going to buy from them ever again. I didn't listen to myself. Its just sad...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hippie3180

I don't know what happened to PSI but man has their customer service gone way downhill. It used to be bad, except for the 1 nice lady that would always answer. She must've been either having a few bad days or she needs a few days off. No one knows what products they sell. They expect you to.know part numbers but all you have is a kit number... so they direct you to someone else who is even more rude and clueless. It seems like it doesn't even matter what the problem is either. The last time I was so mad I was never going to buy from them ever again. I didn't listen to myself. Its just sad...
I just refuse to spend money there, customer service is lacking in courtesy. I've only been making pens since April and I haven't purchased anything from them in several months. I go where they have quality supplies, where I'm valued as a customer and shipping is expedient.

sorcerertd

I go where they have quality supplies, where I'm valued as a customer and shipping is expedient.
And Exotic Blanks has free shipping this week! Too bad those Honduran Rosewood burl blanks sold so fast.

I haven't needed support from PSI for a while now, so I can't speak to recent experience, but I've had mixed results in the past. They are good about replacing bad parts at least.

Last edited:

Darios

All I can say is that my experience, so far, has been different. Zero problems ordering, the one time I had a bad part they sent it out immediately, my questions get answered when I ask 'em on the webpage, and I even was referred to their tech guy who let me know what to do if I wanted to try and lower the speed on my lathe.

EricRN

I just refuse to spend money there, customer service is lacking in courtesy. I've only been making pens since April and I haven't purchased anything from them in several months. I go where they have quality supplies, where I'm valued as a customer and shipping is expedient.
I buy almost exclusively from exotic blanks, Beaufort Ink, Turners Warehouse, and Gerhard Leibsteiner. Also a fan of the LazerLines/McKenzie kits but seems like they are always sold out when I go to buy!! Have had excellent experiences with customer service at all these places.

Most recently at Turners Warehouse. I lost a twist mechanism for the sirocco, which is tough to find outside the kit. They had an extra and threw it in my order free of charge!!!

Hippie3180

I really like Turners Warehouse, very nice to deal with and super fast shipping. I also deal with Craft Supply USA, also fast shipping and I've never had an issue with them.

Hippie3180

I would also like to add that Bullseye Turning Supply also has super customer service as well. I couldn't add it to my previous post.

TDahl

I have had mixed experiences from PSI.

When it comes to purchasing supplies or components, their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. It seems to take a long time for on-line orders to be shipped, and their prices seem to be higher than other vendors. My go to vendor for supplies and components is Exotic Blanks. Their standards for excellence is very high!!!

With that said, my experience with the quality of their machines and their technical support has been very pleasant. I have been using a Turncrafter Commander lathe for over 10 years now, and I am very happy with my purchase. I do my own maintenance and repairs and found the lathe very easy to work on. I have called PSI several times regarding replacement parts and technical advice and have always found what I was looking for. Their technical support person (I believe his name is Ken) is willing to provide advice and walk you through needed repairs over the phone.

I will say their shipping system is somewhat mystifying. Any replacement parts I have purchased have been shipped right away, and I usually receive them in 3 to 5 days. On-line orders seem to take about 7 to 10 days to ship.

Hippie3180

I ordered a replacement part, took so long I assumed it wasn't coming and then over a month later out of the blue, it showed up. Never a shipping notice nothing. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I've got only good things to say about PSI. Always a good experience and I usually get my orders in 3-5 days, and that's with the cheapest shipping rate they offer. Last week PSI had a promo offering of up to 40% off. I ordered some items and on top of the 40% off I also got the 10% turners club discount. My $175.00 order, with shipping and discounts, came to $93.00. According to the UPS tracker my package will be here tomorrow. I can't give that same review to a couple of vendors on this site. For sure one I will never do business with.

fnfalguy

It's NOT just PSI. Most companies today have bad service or none at all. Saves them money so they can import yet more overseas inferior products. And the labor force has shrank because more people make their living by voting than by working.
I can say that my experience with Berea Hardwoods was nothing but wonderful. I just literally hung up with them, confessing that I was an idiot and destroyed a portion of a pen kit (completely my fault). A replacement part is going out today. It didn't hurt that I had an order that was shipping from them as well today.

My experiences have been great with Exotic Blanks as well. My orders from Pen State have been good too, but I haven't ordered from them directly in a few months.

Chaz

You're not alone. I had a terrible experience just today and another about a year ago. The nice lady answering the support line was without a clue. Her supervisor was about the same, plus kinda rude.

I wonder if the owner knows about it.

I'd quit using them, but a few of their kits are among my bestsellers.

jrista

This is one o those threads you kind of wish the company would see. Might make them start thinking harder about their business practices...

I've had mixed results with PSI myself. I actually like a number of their kits. Some of them are pretty well designed, some have nice ornate designs, others just real slick designs. Some of the tools they stock are pretty nice too, and often seem to be fairly unique. Their catalogs that they mail out also have some nice pens as examples, and that can be a good source of inspiration. So, some things I do like. That said...

I have opened support tickets, and had ZERO response to any, ever. I have two mandrels I purchased from them that were defective upon opening the package. One was a normal mandrel with a bent (or curved) shaft, which made it effectively unusable (and I had terrible issues with non-concentricity). Never received a single response of any kind to that ticket. Also opened a ticket about their TBC mandrel where the pin on the live center part wasn't entirely strait, which was also problematic. Less so than the standard mandrel. I received an automated response to that ticket, but no further responses. I had an issue with this thing they call the Bushing Buddy (missing parts), no response until I got really angry, then they finally responded and I was able to exchange the item. Not a great experience. (Which seems odd, given how big they are.)

I still have both mandrels. In total they were abut $70 worth, plus the shipping and taxes. The one with the bent shaft is useless, it sits never used in a drawer. I pull out the TBC mandrel only when I'm using those CA bushings for finishing purposes. I no longer turn with it as it just isn't as good as direct TBC, and I suspect its that slightly bent or mis-angled pin.

Oh, yes....something else I discovered about PSI. Something I'm going to try and have my tax person look into. I live in Colorado. PSI is of course in Pennsylvania. I realized, while putting all my receipts for the last couple of years into Craftybase, that PSI has been charging me some kind of state tax, on every single order. At this point, it amounts to a few hundred bucks. This is in fact the main reason I've stopped ordering from them. I shouldn't be paying PA state taxes since I live in Colorado, but they charge it anyway. It might be worth checking your receipts. Its a few percent, not huge, but still, over time it mounts up. The percentages are also inconsistent...I can't quite figure out what the tax rate is supposed to be, whatever this tax is, but it doesn't seem to be applied consistently...? I can't quite figure out how its calculated. Sometimes I wonder if they are just slapping an arbitrary number on each order just to cover their bases and not have to invest much time, money or effort in making sure they rake in enough money overall to pay their state taxes???

I've never faced a tax charge from any other pencraft seller I order from so far, as far as I can tell. Seems really sketchy for PSI to be doing this...but, given some of their other practices, it really makes me wonder.

I do like some of the PSI kits, get inspiration from their catalogs...but, there are ways to buy them from places other than PSI direct, and if you do, I suspect you'll have no issue with being charged undue taxes or anything like that (and will probably have better customer service to boot!)

Rob H

I also got bent mandrels from them. I bought the second thinking that I may have damaged the first being new and tightening it too much before getting a mandrel saver. Put the new one on the lathe when it arrived and it was worse.

derekdd

My PSI pen assembly press broke last night where the arm meets the base.

I plan on taking pics and giving them a call/email today. We'll see how it goes. That shouldn't have happened. I bought it a handful of months ago. Hopefully, they respond positively.

KenB259

My PSI pen assembly press broke last night where the arm meets the base.

I plan on taking pics and giving them a call/email today. We'll see how it goes. That shouldn't have happened. I bought it a handful of months ago. Hopefully, they respond positively.
Mine broke shortly after I got it. I replaced the clamp with this one from Amazon. Much more beefy and I made a delron sleeve to fit over the end.

Attachments

• Clamp.jpg
    Clamp.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 45

derekdd

Mine broke shortly after I got it. I replaced the clamp with this one from Amazon. Much more beefy and I made a delron sleeve to fit over the end.
We'll see what they say.

If they don't replace it, that looks like a good solution.

KenB259

We'll see what they say.

If they don't replace it, that looks like a good solution.
To be honest with you, even if they replace it, I'd upgrade it to the clamp from Amazon. I know the clamps look the same but the Amazon one is way more heavy duty.

egnald

As a rule, when I find something at PSI, I first check to see if Exotic Blanks carries it (or an equivalent) and if not I check with WoodTurningz. Going to PSI has become my last resort option. - Dave

Top Bottom