What do you use the REVERSE mode for?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

Mark; Be VERY careful using the reverse switch. If you switch direction while the spindle is spinning, you can burn out the drive controller. This only applies to variable speed lathes with DC motors.

SO, I just installed a new switch box on my lathe and the new one has a Reverse feature. What do you find it useful for?

Curly

It should be mentioned that a chuck can spin off the lathe unless there is a means of locking it to the shaft. Keep it in mind when using reverse. Not a problem with Morse Taper mandrels or turning between centres.

ebill

- Curly is right, if you are going to reverse a piece that is in a chuck, make sure you have a reversing chuck .. in my case, a set screw you have to screw down before reversing. The chuck unscrews really quickly if you don't. DAMHIK <g>

- I turn a lot of bowls and other things and occasionally get a patch of end grain on the inside that is particularly resistant to being smoothly cut in spite of a sharp tool <it looks so easy on YouTube - sigh>. Reverse cutting seems to really help with the cutting/smoothing in those areas. I also occasionally use it when sanding; one way for one grit and the reverse for the next grit.

- ebill

Charlie_W

It should be mentioned that a chuck can spin off the lathe unless there is a means of locking it to the shaft. Keep it in mind when using reverse. Not a problem with Morse Taper mandrels or turning between centres.

Also faceplates can spin loose when reversed.

Bryguy

Sanding, But remember to set it back to forward when you've finished! It can really mess up your work if you leave it in reverse (don't ask how I know)

Top Bottom