What do you think of existing pen turning DVDs?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GouletPens

The couple of pen turning DVDs I've seen are pretty shoddy, and I was wondering what everyone thinks of the ones they've seen. I was in WC the other day and saw Barry Gross has a DVD as well as Rex and Kip (2 dvd series on pens). Anyone seen these or any others? I'd love to know what they're like before I drop $20 on each!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

I got the Rex and Kip ones when I started. There is some good stuff to get someone started there. But they show a friction polish so it is limited in that way. But they talk about some good tricks like losing the CB and wire burning etc. It was definitely worth it when I started and they way I started.

KenV

These become dated quickly for other than beginners with the slimlines and euros - the market in findings moves quickly too.

I had the Kip and Rex set and passed them on to a beginner after a couple of viewings. I have not seen Barry Gross's DVD, but would suspect it follows the good quality of his books. Basics to middle of the road technique, but sound materials and solid practices.

mdburn_em

I picked up BB's first. I learned quite a lot from that. Then I got both books and videos for Rex and Kip's. Those added to my knowledge. Of course I was in the middle of Montana and there aren't a whole lot of penturners out there. Actually, not a whole lot of people out there.

As others have indicated, they are very useful for beginners.

I've also picked up YoYoSpin's closed end pen video. Wonderful video, very useful. Since I am so forgetful, I will still occasionally view that one.

I also bought Russ Fairfields Finishing Secrets. Man is that a good video. AFter absorbing some of the info in that video, makes me think I know what I'm doing.

LEAP

There are enough youtube videos to get anyone started. I agree with Mark that Russ' finishing video should be a requirement for anyone starting out. The commercial videos are great for a complete novice but I feel that better information is available in the IAP library.

arjudy

Bill Baumbech from AS also has a video about pen turning. It is pretty good too. I've seen the Kip & Rex videos, the PSI video and some by Steven Russell. They are all good but just touch on some of the basic techniques of pen turning.

GPDMTR25

I've seen quite a few DVD's and agree with everyone else

They're great for beginners but if you have already found this site you're ahead of the game and I wouldn't recommend spending the money. The only DVD I recommend and learned a lot from was Russ Fairfield's pen finishing secrets. I seen other videos about finishing pens but I still learned a lot from his DVD. Although I really like this DVD, I think it's over priced. Someone mentioned before that it's for rent on some website.

Someone also mentioned www.arizonasilhouette.com. They have some free videos on their web site. I watched the closed-end pen video they have. I received it for free but I wouldn't recommend purchasing it. There's too many free tutorial online where you can learn the same thing.

Only my opinion
Angela

Last edited:

rjwolfe3

I have always thought that it would be nice to have a loaner library of books and dvds similar to going to a public library where for just the cost of shipping IAP members could watch or read and then return. My public library carries very little in the way of turning books or dvds. The closet turning club is over an hour away. I would love to see some of these videos. The short ones on You Tube are great and the articles here are great as well. But there is something about seeing it in action that lets it sink in for me. JMHO.

its_virgil

I think Barry Gross's dvd and the dvd's by Russ Fairfield are the best ones. I either own or have seen all of the pen turning dvd's available. Russ shows how to do some customizing and modilying...not just straight forward by the istructions penturning. Barry, along with Russ, are excellent turners and pen makers and do great jobs communicating wht they are demonstrating. Of course, suggestions and recommendations are subjective at best and what one person recommeds someone else will think differently.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Gin N' Tonic

I think Barry Gross's dvd and the dvd's by Russ Fairfield are the best ones. I either own or have seen all of the pen turning dvd's available. Russ shows how to do some customizing and modilying...not just straight forward by the istructions penturning. Barry, along with Russ, are excellent turners and pen makers and do great jobs communicating wht they are demonstrating. Of course, suggestions and recommendations are subjective at best and what one person recommeds someone else will think differently.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I have not seen Barry's DVD yet so I cannot comment on it. I do however own all of Russ's DVD's and they are well worth the money that you pay for them. Russ has excellent communications skills and a natural teaching ability. I would recommend them for beginner, intermediate and advanced penturners because everyone will learn something from them. I suspect that Russ has forgotten more about turning and finishing a pen that many of us will ever know.

Do yourself a favor and buy all of them at once to get the deal because once you see one of them you will crave for more. DAMHIKT

bradbn4

For what's it is worth - I do like Edd's DVD's a bit better than a few of the other ones I have seen. He also has more than a few online here for free.

I like http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/ from BB too. PSI was a well worth intro - but that one was "free" with a coupon for $20 dollars off an order.

Give Edd's free ones a try - if you need more you can always buy copies of them at Arizona silhouette.

PTsideshow

As a new turner I have seen a large number of the ones mentioned in previous posts, and have a lot of them on my next list.

I will state that all of the wood turning videos,I have seen are of better production quality than a whole lot of knife maker,blacksmithing and other subject matters ones.
I got real tired after the second DVD that cost an arm and leg above $50.00 on an aspect of knife making. I quit buying a pig in a poke type deal. They had great reviews turns out the two good ole boys and family are the reviewers!
Little good info, shot in a garage, with the door open and window unblocked an air compressor running when no air was being used poor lighting, one of the boys blocking the shots with his hands or seat cushion. Oh yeah and they appeared to have the nest part of a case consumed.

To illustrate they used a broken open brown cardboard box with a #2 pencil. I could go on but you get the picture, it appears they haven't seen the video let alone know what editing is.

Shortly after that purchase I found Smartflix.com a technical video rental place on the net. They cover a lot of subjects and have a lot of wood working and turning videos. For rent, you can see what they are and then decide if you want to purchase them.

There has been a lot of BS about them spread on the internet. Almost all is crap since the guys like the "Ole boys" have lost a lot of their sales due to people finding out how bad their DVD's are.

And you have to remember anybody with the price of a DVD camera and a computer can sell DVD's with sharpie titles.

I have had only one problem and the took care of it promptly, I am also a member of their university program. I get 3 assorted video's a month. It is a lot cheaper way to learn about something than buying them and find out that they are worth the cost of postage!

I will also say that whether the wood turning DVD's have been on chisels or turning bowls, pens or other items. It has been worth the money. Only downside is Contiguous states only.
:clown:

Joe Burns

I have the Rex and Kip DVD's along with the two that Barry made. I like Barry's the best. I thought he did a better job of demonstrating the steps to make a pen.

They only show a friction finish and wont help if you are wanting to learn a CA finish. They are helpful in that they can help someone brand new to pen making get started. They were to me.

Ive bought some blanks and supplies from Barry's web site when I first started. He was also helpful in answering the questions I had through email.

The folks on this site and other pen turner forums have help me to grow in skills beyond what the DVDs have done. There are so many skilled, friendly, and awesome artisans here that are eager to share their knowledge and skills.

Joe

rsulli16

hi
1+ on YouTube. quality is hit or miss, but there's plenty, some of it really great . i have learned a whole lot on YouTube. In fact now i check it for anything i am doing around the house, maintenance or repairs
another two cents worth
Sulli

wiset1

I watched the Barry Gross DVD and it was very informative when I first started. With that being said, I felt as though I grew past its teachings and handed it off to a new turner. It's well worth the money to learn the tips and tricks if you're new to turning. Barry puts out a great instructional video...I owe a great deal of what I know today due to his teachings

Skie_M

I watched Captain Eddie makin shavins and pens for our troops. He's got a huge pile of videos out on youtube and they're decent quality. He seems to like to take it slowly and make sure his viewers understand the underlying principles of what he's doing on screen, and that helped me want to get into turning pens.

I also picked up the PSI pen turning demo DVD for free (came with a 10 dollar coupon), and it didn't really show me anything that Capt Eddie didn't already show me so ... no big loss. :)

Top Bottom