What do you think about this modification?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Penultimate

Penultimate

Greetings
I had a Retro from Lau Lau and thought I would modify it to hold a stylus nib.I was excited about the experiment and how to fit everything together but now I'm not sure of the looks and proportions.

I turned down the finial to fit a 3/8 inch tube. Then turned a small aluminum slug to fit inside the tube. The slug has a smaller diameter to fit the pocket in the nib. I glued the nib to the aluminum slug and pressed it into the tube. The tube has a sliding fit on the finial. The blanks are curly Koa. The Koa used for the stylus end has the same diameter (0.480 in) as the finial ring. The end is drilled and turned to hide the tube. Unfortunately, the drill bit drifted a little during drilling.

The finish is BLO/CA.

I would appreciate any comments etc, etc, etc.

Thanks for looking

Attachments

• P4170558.JPG
    P4170558.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 326
  • P4170567.JPG
    P4170567.JPG
    273.7 KB · Views: 325
  • P4170570.JPG
    P4170570.JPG
    218 KB · Views: 273
  • P4170578.JPG
    P4170578.JPG
    173.9 KB · Views: 338
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Looks interesting, I like the idea of it.

I think if you had matched the wood grain from the barrel piece to your finial it would be little more seamless.
I also think the curve on the barrel piece lends to not making the entire thing look like one piece. Perhaps if you turn them together they will have more of a fluid line.

Just me $.02.

Great concept piece though! Before I read your description, I thought you had made the stylus piece to look like a handheld microphone. That's what it reminds me of.

Best,
Michael

SkookumPens

I think that is a neat design. I have thought of adding a stylus to other pens, but have not attempted any thing. Thanks for the idea.
Craig Chatterton
Puyallup, WA

Charlie_W

I agree with Michael on the design shaping and the grain alignment.
Otherwise, I would give you an A+ for concept, effort and execution!
Beautiful curly Koa and finish!

TonyL

Very handsome pen...definitely makes it more utilitarian without comprising its elegance.

I go back and forth between straight CA (when I am willing to take the take sanding) and BLO/CA when I don't want to spend so much sanding. Would you mind describing your BLO/CA finish process? I also can't achieve anything hight then a semi-gloss finish when I use BLO/CA.

I did buy the small HF lathe just for applying the CA and allowing it to cure (without tying up my primary lathe.) This has increased my patience (or allows me to be impatient without sacrificing the quality of the CA finish). :)

KenV

Mike -- hard to tell with the photos, but looks like the stylus tip will have to be held quite vertical or it will hit the rim of wood around the tip. If when you try the different angles, that i the case, think about tapering to a thinner border around the stylus tip to give a bit more relief.

Very nice "proof of concept" effort. The Koa is such a nice wood to work and finish.

BSea

I think the idea and execution is great. I agree with others on the taper of the barrel. I hadn't thought about what Ken said about the lip interfering with the stylus. But that should be easy to fix on your next one if it's even a problem.

How long is it compared to a standard retro?

Does the barrel come apart? I'd be interested in see the parts, and how you accomplished the modification. Pictures always help.

All in all, you did great! :good:

Penultimate

Thanks for all the input. I agree that the straight stylus section doesn't match the pen body. I think a tapered body would look better. I ran out of the original Koa that's why the stylus does't match the body.

Bob
Here is a photo of the parts. The stylus is glued to an aluminum disc that was pressed into the tube. The OD was turned to match the OD of the finial ring (0.48 inch). There are three bores in the Koa. One is slightly smaller than the stylus diameter to hide the edge to the tube and that is about 0.03 inch thick from the outside. The second is tube diameter. The third matches the OD of the step in the finial ring the depth is as deep as the threads on the finial.

Thanks for the kind comments.

Attachments

• P4180587.JPG
    P4180587.JPG
    240.8 KB · Views: 217

Penultimate

Hi Tony
I apply BLO to a paper towel then a few drops of CA over it and apply that to the pen. I do a second coat the same way then use straight CA for the next 426 coats (it's a little less but it feels like that much). Then its MM and buffing.

I switched to the CA sold by Exotic Blanks, I find it works better than the stuff I bought off eBay. You get what you pay for.
Good luck

Penultimate

Ken,
For me the angle isn't too bad.But you are right the end needs to be tapered and a smaller diameter. I think the tube is too large. The tube used in the Nevus BP kit works well for holding the nib and being able to taper the blank.

TonyL

Thank you Mike. I bought a second lathe ($100 one from HF), just for CA finishing. It helps waiting for the coats to dry if I can do something else. I know what you mean about what it feels like.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I agree that a bit thinner edge on the stylus is favored, but for a different reason.

I suspect as is, it will be fine, with no correction necessary as the styluses are used.

But, from a VISUAL perspective, I whole-heartedly agree that a thinner profile may be a better visual impression.

Very nice! LOve Koa!

Top Bottom