What do we or should we do?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bamagoldbug

As a pen maker do we disclose that our work was part of a kit (if it was) ?

For example... If I make a pen using the "Jr Emperor Rollerball Pen Kit" and go to sell it on ebay / amazon or my own website , do I advertise it as a hand made pen or a Jr Emperor Hand made pen? Seems like alot of folks on ebay use the kit name first.

Also what if you only use part of the kit?

I like to be honest but I don't want to give credit for my work to a kit that's only contribution was some hardware.

What do you do?

Do you feel its misleading?

Why does this bother me? LOL ( not sure that it does or not)

Law of the Workshop: Any tool, when dropped, will roll to the least accessible corner. ~Author Unknown

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Darrin

I don't sell my pens with any name. Usually someone who is looking to buy doesn't care about a kit or anything else other than what strikes his or her eye.

jttheclockman

Who are you misleading?? Your customer is buying a pen they like just as if they were buying a Mont Blanc pen. Their kits are massed produced also. They do not make each one one at a time by hand. Maybe their over the top series pens. I never give kit names. Just mention it is a ballpoint or rollerball. I do not do fountain pens. No need to name kits or to even call it a kit pen. People have no idea what a kit pen is. Yes people who make them know but they are not buying your pens. This is my opinion on the subject.

Bamagoldbug

[QUOTE="I do not do fountain pens..[/QUOTE]

Do you just not like fountain pens?

Law of the Workshop: Any tool, when dropped, will roll to the least accessible corner. ~Author Unknown

TonyL

Sometimes I had my customer several catalogs (with the kits and prices exposed) and ask them to pick. However, I am not doing it as a business.

Visit Lanier Pens in CA...they don't even change the names of the kits. Take a look at their prices. I don't know if they sell any; but they certainly do not appear ashamed. Follow your conscience...this way you can't go wrong.

jttheclockman

[QUOTE="I do not do fountain pens..

Do you just not like fountain pens?

[/QUOTE]

I do not do fountain pens because I do not know enough about them to be an educated seller. Most people who buy fountain pens know how to use them and know what to look for. I have no idea about nibs and how to tune them or the different fillers and different inks and things. I believe if you are going to sell fountain pens you better know how to use them and tune them. Just buying a kit fountain pen to me is not the pen that most people want. That is the reason I do not sell them.

pshrynk

Sometimes I had my customer several catalogs (with the kits and prices exposed) and ask them to pick. However, I am not doing it as a business.

Visit Lanier Pens in CA...they don't even change the names of the kits. Take a look at their prices. I don't know if they sell any; but they certainly do not appear ashamed. Follow your conscience...this way you can't go wrong.

My impression is that they do a pretty good business. I used to have a pen set from them, also.

WriteON

I thought Jesse James was dead.

WriteON

As a pen maker do we disclose that our work was part of a kit (if it was) ?

For example... If I make a pen using the "Jr Emperor Rollerball Pen Kit" and go to sell it on ebay / amazon or my own website , do I advertise it as a hand made pen or a Jr Emperor Hand made pen? Seems like alot of folks on ebay use the kit name first.

Also what if you only use part of the kit?

I like to be honest but I don't want to give credit for my work to a kit that's only contribution was some hardware.

What do you do?

Do you feel its misleading?

Why does this bother me? LOL ( not sure that it does or not)

I'm the same ...will not take credit for what I did not do. But to say the body is hand picked, hand turned, sanded, polished, fine polished and assembled with specific components is expressing true value

Last edited:
Top Bottom