What containers do you use to measure/ mix PR?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigguyZ

OK, so I finally picked up my first 32 Oz can of PR from Michael's with the 50% off coupon. Can I use plastic measuring containers to measure and mix the solution?

Also, I'm wondering approximately how much PR you need to do a 1"x1"x5 5/8" blank?

Finally, any additional pointers for working with this brand/ type of PR?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
fill your mold with water, then put that water in the mixing cup. That will show you how much PR you will need to fill the mold.

BE SURE that everything is THOROUGHLY DRY before you put any PR in it. I use 6 silicone cups that i cut from a floppy silicone muffin pan. I use it for mixing, pouring, and making pendant blanks.

I use 3 oz. dixie paper cups to pour into the PVC molds, and for stopper blanks. PVC pipe, and a silicone mold for pen blanks. Have good ventilation. and no flames.

HAVE FUN!!!

RAdams

Banned
Look on the bottom of your plastic containers. If you see the triangular shaped arrows used for "recycled" goods, and it has a FIVE "5" inside, then you are good to go. Any other number i think will stick.

its_virgil

1 cubic inch = 0.554 fluid ounce and your blank is 5.625 cubic inches so you will need 5.625 x.554 = 3.11625 (fluid) ounces of resin.

I stopped using plastic cups when I realized how many small jars we toss from the kitchen. I now save them and use them for mixing. But someone will help out with exactly what type of plastic cups can be used.

What you plan on casting would be helpful for those of use who will offer help....colors, one color, multiple colors, clear casting, etc

Also, there are several casting articles in the library that will give you some excellent advice and instructions for casting polyester resin. The articles cover basic casting, color casting, and clear casting such as snake skin and label blanks. Browse the articles index in the library.

Happy Casting.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

OK, so I finally picked up my first 32 Oz can of PR from Michael's with the 50% off coupon. Can I use plastic measuring containers to measure and mix the solution?

Also, I'm wondering approximately how much PR you need to do a 1"x1"x5 5/8" blank?

Finally, any additional pointers for working with this brand/ type of PR?

Thanks!

hughbie

when i mix...i use both sizes of cup made by 'ball'. you can find these in the canning section of your local supermarket.
they hold the PR with no problems.....and after you pour....what is left behind will peel out.....i love em.....

i second the process of finding out how much PR....pour water and then pour that water in your cup.....perfect match

good luck

BigguyZ

Ron- You know, I used to be pretty good at physics.... That's like a 5th grade type question! Ugh, I'm now sick of myself. :)

I got some mixing containers form the HD paint dept. I think they'd work well, given that they have the volume measurements on the cup... That'd help things, and they're cheap ($1).

What you plan on casting would be helpful for those of use who will offer help....colors, one color, multiple colors, clear casting, etc

Yes! (to all counts)

I looked at the articles, but maybe I missed the specifics. I have a bunch of mason jars that I got when I first got the Critter finish sprayer, but I'm using most of them to hold either finish or various shades of plexitone at the moment. And again, I like the idea of having something to measure. If you don't have a measure cup built in or used somehow, how do you know what volume you have, and how many drops of catalyst to use?

Thank you all for your help, I have a few experiments to try, then I'll post the results. I'm excited! :D

Top Bottom