What can you do with a slimline?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bryguy

Bryguy

I have been accepted into a Juried art fair where all art must be priced under $50.00. For me that means Slimlines and Pentel pencils
DSCF0427.JPG
DSCF0429.JPG
DSCF0434.JPG
DSCF0426.JPG
DSCF0435.JPG
. Here are some of my entries.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I've been thinking about your pens all day and was trying to give you my honest opinion of what I saw here. So here goes and please, please, please, take this as constructive criticism only. I'm in no way slamming your ability to turn pens, these are just my observations and I could be way off.

First off, a Slim Line should fit the title. In my honest opinion you have the option to expand the tube diameter a bit but not to what I see here. Some are way too round. Again, could be my eyes or my computer screen. I see a Slim Line as fitting into a small hand, these pictures don't show that.

#2. Many of your transitions from the blank to the center band are not true. By that I mean the tube material is not contoured or tapered down to the center band. I'm think someone putting these pens in their pockets will have trouble with snags at the center band. Leaving a square end distracts from the beauty of the pen and blank material. I also noticed that on several of the transition between the lower blank and tip.

#3. 4th picture shows three pens with deep cuts in the transition between the lower blank and tip. Again, in my mind these should be tapered down to the tip to make a nice smooth transition for the user. I also noticed what appears to be squeeze out from either your glue or wax. I'm not sure but it should be removed prior to showing these.

#4. The last picture, third pen from the left. Is the pen off center at the center band area or is it missing the refill and transmission? It looks way off but I'm not sure.

I think the different materials you used here shows your ability to turn different types of materials. You've got a good selection for the judges to choose from which I feel will be a advantage for you. Good luck in the judging and please share the winners with us.

DrD

About the closest I come to turning a slimline would be a Streamline 7mm Flat top or Round Top, or an Olympia, and out of ~200 finished pens in my inventory, the total for those 3 is 7. But that's ok; I like bigger writing instruments.

I have never understood making a Barbie Doll out of a pen kit, but I respect other turners right to do just that. As I posted on another thread, the pen I now carry, and the pen I gift the most is the Mistral. I enjoy that pen while others may enjoy the Slimline just as much, and that's ok. I'm more of a late 30's early 40's type of pen guy.

I think Tom's (Wolf Creek Knives) comments are solid, not a slam to the turner, and I would echo much of what he said. I guess it's all in what the turner - any turner - wants from the experience of turning pens, and it's all good. I too wish you success in the coming art fair, and success as well in developing your own turning style.

I had an old gunsmith look at a side by side I had restocked and he asked me if I was happy with the finished product, noting that the wood was proud of the metal at every juncture. He then brought out an old Ansley H Fox 16 ga. side by side. Before letting me see it, he told me to close my eyes. After handing me the gun, he told me to feel it. His point was that it was completely impossible to determine where the wood ended and the metal began - at every interface. I think pens are a lot like fine shotguns - at least to me; the occasional swell is fine but it is much more appealing and better feeling, when you cannot feel the wood/acrylic/acetate/etc to metal intersection. Just my 2 cents.

Bryguy

I've been thinking about your pens all day and was trying to give you my honest opinion of what I saw here. So here goes and please, please, please, take this as constructive criticism only. I'm in no way slamming your ability to turn pens, these are just my observations and I could be way off.

First off, a Slim Line should fit the title. In my honest opinion you have the option to expand the tube diameter a bit but not to what I see here. Some are way too round. Again, could be my eyes or my computer screen. I see a Slim Line as fitting into a small hand, these pictures don't show that.

#2. Many of your transitions from the blank to the center band are not true. By that I mean the tube material is not contoured or tapered down to the center band. I'm think someone putting these pens in their pockets will have trouble with snags at the center band. Leaving a square end distracts from the beauty of the pen and blank material. I also noticed that on several of the transition between the lower blank and tip.

#3. 4th picture shows three pens with deep cuts in the transition between the lower blank and tip. Again, in my mind these should be tapered down to the tip to make a nice smooth transition for the user. I also noticed what appears to be squeeze out from either your glue or wax. I'm not sure but it should be removed prior to showing these.

#4. The last picture, third pen from the left. Is the pen off center at the center band area or is it missing the refill and transmission? It looks way off but I'm not sure.

I think the different materials you used here shows your ability to turn different types of materials. You've got a good selection for the judges to choose from which I feel will be a advantage for you. Good luck in the judging and please share the winners with us.
I'm sorry it took up your whole day, you could have been turning pens!
Seriously though I appreciate your comments , all of which are valid. I'd only beg serious difference with your comment #1. What I like about the slimline is that they do provide the option to "go out there".
I enjoy that for a very low price you get a kit you can really use your creativity on.
In the fourth picture, those aren't slimlines, they are Pentel pencils and I find that transition is necessary to get the works to fit.
With regard to #4, I'm not sure what happened there, the top seems to be off center, but my lathe lines up perfectly, perhaps dirt in the headstock made it off center.
Anyway, I do appreciate your taking the time to point these things out. We can't improve with out the help of others. Thanks!

Bryguy

About the closest I come to turning a slimline would be a Streamline 7mm Flat top or Round Top, or an Olympia, and out of ~200 finished pens in my inventory, the total for those 3 is 7. But that's ok; I like bigger writing instruments.

I have never understood making a Barbie Doll out of a pen kit, but I respect other turners right to do just that. As I posted on another thread, the pen I now carry, and the pen I gift the most is the Mistral. I enjoy that pen while others may enjoy the Slimline just as much, and that's ok. I'm more of a late 30's early 40's type of pen guy.

I think Tom's (Wolf Creek Knives) comments are solid, not a slam to the turner, and I would echo much of what he said. I guess it's all in what the turner - any turner - wants from the experience of turning pens, and it's all good. I too wish you success in the coming art fair, and success as well in developing your own turning style.

I had an old gunsmith look at a side by side I had restocked and he asked me if I was happy with the finished product, noting that the wood was proud of the metal at every juncture. He then brought out an old Ansley H Fox 16 ga. side by side. Before letting me see it, he told me to close my eyes. After handing me the gun, he told me to feel it. His point was that it was completely impossible to determine where the wood ended and the metal began - at every interface. I think pens are a lot like fine shotguns - at least to me; the occasional swell is fine but it is much more appealing and better feeling, when you cannot feel the wood/acrylic/acetate/etc to metal intersection. Just my 2 cents.

Bryguy

Thanks for your comments. As I explained, I enjoy the challenge of doing different things with the same kit and the fact that the slimline is inexpensive allows me to play a lot. I also make kitless, a whole different ball of wax (or tube of plastic/wood). I did get into the art fair. My problem is that after a very successful art tour in October I had no inventory and have been working like a dog to have enoughgh for this art fair in November. Pehaps I have been letting my standards drop because of the hurry. None of these pens will go for more than $30.00, so we'll see what happens.

WriteON

Anyway, I do appreciate your taking the time to point these things out. We can't improve with out the help of others.
Perhaps I have been letting my standards drop because of the hurry.
One of the best traits of IAP are the members being true & honest. Constructive replies are everything. Great group of people here. Everyone seems to be on the same page.
As for standards..... do what you keep doing and you'll keep getting what you keep getting. Do not rush. Provide quality and it will come back to you. Make each piece of work a showpiece, a centerfold, whatever... slow down. Do not rush a rush job for the next rush job. Ask for $35-$39 or more for some of your pens. Don't undersell your stuff.
My favor pens are the top 2nd from right. And 3rd row down 2nd from left. You are creative.

Last edited:

Bryguy

One of the best traits of IAP are the members being true & honest. Constructive replies are everything. Great group of people here. Everyone seems to be on the same page.
As for standards..... do what you keep doing and you'll keep getting what you keep getting. Do not rush. Provide quality and it will come back to you. Make each piece of work a showpiece, a centerfold, whatever... slow down. Do not rush a rush job for the next rush job. Ask for $35-$39 or more for some of your pens. Don't undersell your stuff.
My favor pens are the top 2nd from right. And 3rd row down 2nd from left. You are creative.
What I love about the IAP is how much I have learned here. Mostly from the constructive criticism of others.

Woodchipper

I have Don Ward's book, Turning Modified Slimline Pens- Beyond the Basics. Shows "semi-segmenting" with accent materials as plastic credit card pieces, contrasting wood, shapes, one piece pens, and others. BTW, forward by the noted Dick Sing.
I was at our local museum for an art contest using recycled materials. I went into the gift shop. Still have the same pens from last year! Gaudy and, IMHO, downright ridiculous shapes and materials. I'm going to contact them about their juried selections, I believe in January. If I can't make a better pen, I'll take up needlepoint!

Top Bottom