what are your favorite woods

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

penbros

i was just wonderng. it doesnt have to be your favorite because of the way it works just looking for figure and color favorites. You can certainly tell me why you like those woods though.[8D]

i like

hickory
1/4 sawn oak
mesquite
zebrawood
cocobolo
rosewoods
cherry
walnut
pine
maple(any figure)
1/4 sawn sycamore

i like the way you spell cocobolo
every other word theres a word. every other letter there is an o! duh[8)]
c-o-c-o-b-o-l-o
also some people say cocobola. Why is that?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pipes

My # 1 is spalted maple !

spaltedmapleburlcigarblackchrome1Sm.jpg

a LOT a # 2 like crosscut Cocobola

and any NICE Burl woods

http://affordablepipes.com/

penbros

c'mon everyone i just want to see what peoples favorite woods are
btw a very nice pen. my spalted maple looks just like that

ilikewood

Cocobolo = dalbergia retusa

Only one major wood supplier (Hearns Hardwoods) calls it Cocobola. Everyone else in the world calls it Cocobolo. Since it comes from central america, maybe someone used the female tense on the word in Spanish, and they were never corrected.[?]

I don't really know, but somewhere along the lines of history another name popped up for it that wasn't quite correct.

And YES, it is my favorite wood. I just picked up another 60 pounds of it this morning.

Others are:
Chechen burl (deadly to me, but love the figure)
Amboyna
Camatillo
BOW
Thuya burl

vick

All right I will bite. My favorite wood to work with changes all the time but currently for bowls and and such I really like to work with walnut. For pens currently it is Morado beacuse I can buy it fairly cheap as 4/4 lumber locally, it has a beautiful dark color closed pores, cuts well and shines up really nicely. Due to the fact I do mostly closed ends pens I like to cut my own blanks from boards for a little extra length. The one draw back is it is an oily wood and you can get cloudy spots in the ca finish if you do not take proper precautions. I also have a affinity for American hardwoods and often use use figured walnut that I milled a while ago from a crotch stump I got while living in Sacramento and maple burl that I bought as a block a while ago and cut my own blanks. I like to have perfectly square blanks so that I can drill dead center on segmented pens and often need different species blanks the same size to easy assembly of segmented patterns. Currently I have alot of walnut burl that is ear marked to be bowls and such so once I start cutting and get some scraps that will probably be a favorite for a while. I avoid woods that are prone to cracking since their are so many beautiful woods that are no it is not worth the hassle to me.
The moral of the story is my favorite depends alot on availability localy as boards, I have not bought a wood pen blank in about a year.

woodwish

Used to really like Cocobolo and Rosewood until I had such a severe skin reaction, don't touch it now. I love any wood that has distinct grain patterns, hate woods that are all one color with no visable grain. Some Walnut is really nice, while other pieces look like chocolate pudding. Recently bought some Tulipwood and like the way it turns, although by color I think it will look better as bottle stoppers than pens. Favorite wood for bowls and such is Ambrosia Maple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom