What an Interesting Fri, Sat, Sun

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DrD

I have been having what are best described as frequently recurring dizzy spells, with the magnitude of such spells increasing with each succeeding spell. Wife took me to Emergency Room early Fri evening; was looked at by a pair of doctors, and both concluded "vertigo," prescribed Meclizine, and sent me on my way. We left the ER and drove a short distance to the local Burger King. In the drive thru I experienced what we thought was a full blown seizure, head and right arm convulsing violently. Scared the **** out the wife; she finally hit me, and I came around. Back to the ER where I was hooked up to who knows what.

Over the next 4 hours I had over 50 more such events, each time eventually returning to normal on my own. A male nurse, a kindly old individual (but not as old as me) finally picked up on the fact that my heart was stopping from 1 to 6 (occasionally longer) seconds and these stoppages corresponded to each event. In between each event, I appeared to be normal, cognizant, with no signs of a stroke. A neurologist was brought in and concurred I most probably wasn't having strokes. The cardiologist on call, supposedly the best in the area, reviewed the data, without seeing me and said to hospitalize me and Monday my cardiologist could see me. Off I went to Cardiac ICU. All the personnel there were wonderful; but with Covid protocols my wife could not accompany me. 2 very knowledgeable and efficient nurses stayed with me until the 7 am shift change. In that 7 hour period I had well over 150 heart stoppages. Funny, in that there was no pain associated with any of the events, just a lot of violent twitching. Scary as all get-out! And the stoppages were getting more frequent.

The trauma triage team, of 5 doctors and 2 nurse practitioners came to observe and agreed, after witnessing at least 10 more of these events, that I needed a pacemaker. I hadn't eaten anything since noon on Friday, so the procedure could be done that day. I insisted on my cardiologist, and they eventually were able to contacted him (he was at his camp about an hour or so away). He said to start a dobutamine drip, which took about 60 mins to have it's effect , eventually, almost completely eliminating the heart stoppages. Up to that point I had experience more than 100 additional stoppages.

Got a pacemaker inserted, and am now home, resting, and have been told that I'm well on my way to no more of those dreadful, frightening events. No one seems to know what exactly started/caused those events to begin with, but all seem to agree that within 6 to 8 weeks I will be resuming normal activities. Not sure if that includes returning to the wood shop though.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DrD

Thanks Jim! Believe me it was some heavy duty praying that got me thru this. For instance, when my cardiologist isn't on call he is for all intends and purposes TOTALLY unreachable. It is a miracle by God that he even received let alone read the text sent to him! Praise God!!!!

magpens

Sorry to hear about your exciting weekend !!

But SO glad to HEAR from YOU !!

Keep us informed, please !

GOOD LUCK !!

Mal

Reactions: DrD

gimpy

Glad that you are here to tells us about it
You and your family are in my prayers
Listen to what your dr tells, but most importantly
listen to what your wife says

Reactions: DrD

SteveJ

Your wife must have been pretty scared. Give her a few extra hugs as you recover! Seems like it took a long time to figure it out. Those hours of waiting for word can be excruciating. So glad you are on the mend.

howsitwork

Don

sad to hear you've had a scare and glad you're now battery powered! Just watch out the wife doesn't get a you get man and jump leads šŸ˜‰ or even worse a cattle prod just in case!

My uncle got this done years back and after a month " fine tuning to settle down he was back in the workshop and feeling even better as he claimed to have more energy, so chin up and behave for a month at least. Hope,your good lady is getting over the shock too by now?

keep,us in the loop and stay safešŸ‘

My wife had a pacemaker installed about 3 or 4 years back.... she had atrial fib that the pacemaker regulates.
She has a monitor that she applies to her chest on a 3 or 6 month basis and transmits to her cardiologist.

duncsuss

Quite a weekend - very pleased that you are now on the recovery side of it, and hope that when things settle down they give a green light to you getting back to pen making.

TDahl

Hi Don,
I'm sorry you and your wife had to experience that very scary episode. I am very glad to hear the issue was diagnosed and corrected. It sounds like you were in very capable hands. Our thoughts and prayers are for you and your wife.

sbwertz

My wife had a pacemaker installed about 3 or 4 years back.... she had atrial fib that the pacemaker regulates.
She has a monitor that she applies to her chest on a 3 or 6 month basis and transmits to her cardiologist.
I just wore one of those wireless monitors for a month. I had a bout of Atrial Flutter that landed me in the hospital. They still don't know what caused it, but my cardiologist suspects sleep apnea, so I'm scheduled for sleep study in March after I've had my second vaccination.

Top Bottom