What am I missing...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tiggere

Driving 120 miles one way to pick up my lathe and accessories from Woodcraft tomorrow...what else is a must have while I am there...do you like their epoxy/ca glues? what am I missing other than everything...main focus will be bottle stoppers and pen kits for the time being...

Laguna 1216
Lathe Extension
Drill Chuck

Rikon Benchgrinder 80-805 (match Rockler $99.99)
Wolverine Vari-grind 2
Sorby spindle gouge (only cause its on sale)
Sandpaper and Micro mesh pads
Lathe Pen Press Adapters

1" x 8TPI faceplate

Will be placing an order at CSUSA for some pen kits but want to TBC so don't want to buy a mandrel...ordered the Nova G3 anniversary set chuck kit already...have a full set of carbide turning tools and the harbor freight kit as well...

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

More4dan

You will need a Live center, MT2 for the tail stock and a 60 degree Dead center MT2 for the head stock (w/o the spurs). Likely cheaper through amazon (2 days) or www.banggood.com if you have 3-4 weeks.

Also for TBC you'll need a good Dial Caliber.

Danny

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited:

tiggere

Pin jaws do come with the anniversary set...live/dead center will get through amazon...have a digital caliper already...I also have about 80 wood blanks already and a couple of acrylic...I will definitely be looking at those while I am there though...

More4dan

115 piece drill bit set with fractional, numbered, and letter bits, conventional bits work better than Brad point bits IMHO. Punch set from Harbor Freight.

Diamond sharpening cards for touching up your cutters.

tiggere

I have NO CA...was thinking of trying the Gluboost as my first finish in lieu of the CA...epoxy at Woodcraft ok or is there a better one that folks recommend?

NO CC's allowed...cash only hobbies...makes me really have to want what I am going to buy vs just buying everything...

As for drill bits...I will probably get one for the pen kit I want to turn but I have the Ruth Niles mandrel jig and a bit for that already...I don't plan to turn but a couple kits...my son likes the Euro kits and would also like to turn a Jr Zen...we might gear up for that for the time being...

And honestly I will probably pick up a mandrel tomorrow as we already have the bushings for the euro kit...this will let him be able to turn something sooner...if we do one section at a time maybe we can keep the mandrel from bending using the mandrel saver and keeping it closer to the headstock...

Last edited:

More4dan

I have NO CA...was thinking of trying the Gluboost as my first finish in lieu of the CA...epoxy at Woodcraft ok or is there a better one that folks recommend?

NO CC's allowed...cash only hobbies...makes me really have to want what I am going to buy vs just buying everything...

I use Devcon 30 min epoxy for knife handles and pens. I get the bottles instead of the syringe type. The 30 min type is stronger and gives you more working time if gluing multiple pens at the same time.

tiggere

Punch set is a good call...we have a local HF so I can run by there...

A 1" x 8 TPI faceplate for a sanding disk though I do not have...will add that to the need to get list...

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
All the above are excellent suggestions for you to consider.

I'll add... "Patience." Play for a few projects, get used to the gouges (carbide and HSS), experiment with what you have for 3-4 weeks. Do some simple spindles, a few pens a few bottle stoppers. After 3-4 weeks you will have a much more informed viewpoint of what you will need.

I have probably 20-30 different turning tools (HSS, carbide, etc). I probably in a 4-6 week period when I am turning, use 6-10 of them. If I could get my money back for the rest, I'd do it in a minute. Be patient! Yes, in a year you will find a tool you can use and that is fine. But it is easy to waste money early on for the "ones I suspect I gotta have."

Play first. Several chunks of firewood turned down to nothing is excellent practice to learn your tools, as well as what you may need.

"Patience"

tiggere

Don't plan to camp on their doorstep tonight...although I am a little excited to get the lathe...

TonyL

I use Devcon 30 min epoxy for knife handles and pens. I get the bottles instead of the syringe type. The 30 min type is stronger and gives you more working time if gluing multiple pens at the same time.

I know most know this (certainly Dan does). However many confuse working/handling time which is prominently display on the packing with full cure/strength time. Take a look at the back for cure times. Just an FYI.
I also find the bottles easier to control than the syringe dispensers. If I can only get the syringe dispenser, I cut the plastic joining the plungers.

More4dan

For a drill chuck, take a look at this one from Amazon. The one I purchased had less than 1/1000" of runout, unheard of for a drill chuck. Great quality at a good price. Better than the ones I've gotten from www.littlemachineshop.com. (A good site for lathe, mills, and tooling)

More4dan

For a drill chuck, take a look at this one from Amazon. The one I purchased had less than 1/1000" of runout, unheard of for a drill chuck. Great quality at a good price. Better than the ones I've gotten from www.littlemachineshop.com. (A good site for lathe, mills, and tooling)

And the picture that didn't post ...

IMG_0617.JPG

Woodchipper

I understand. I don't like to carry cash as it is much too easy to pull out and spend it as oppposed to a CC. My wife spends our income foolishly in things like food, shelter and clothing. ;)

Driving 120 miles one way to pick up my lathe and accessories from Woodcraft tomorrow...what else is a must have while I am there...do you like their epoxy/ca glues? what am I missing other than everything...main focus will be bottle stoppers and pen kits for the time being...

Laguna 1216
Lathe Extension
Drill Chuck

Rikon Benchgrinder 80-805 (match Rockler $99.99)
Wolverine Vari-grind 2
Sorby spindle gouge (only cause its on sale)
Sandpaper and Micro mesh pads
Lathe Pen Press Adapters

1" x 8TPI faceplate

Will be placing an order at CSUSA for some pen kits but want to TBC so don't want to buy a mandrel...ordered the Nova G3 anniversary set chuck kit already...have a full set of carbide turning tools and the harbor freight kit as well...

You might want to check out Nile's Stoppers website. They've got quite a few bottle stoppers on sale at about 1/2 price. All SS and made in the U.S.

How about a First Aid kit and Fire Extinguisher for your shop? I don't know if a face shield is mentioned but that's always handy to have too. I also have padded floor mats under each work station, keeps my feet in their happy place and saves your legs a lot of standing stress. I got mine from HF and they're holding up very well.

Buckmark13

Dust collection....which is probably another trip all by itself.

Have fun; we love spending your cash!!

Be sure to post some pics of your loaded down car and the set up!!

tiggere

Well I am home....thats the good news...I will spill the beans after I get a call back from tech support.......just sayin' :mad::mad::mad:

More4dan

Collet chuck from PSI. I rarely use the 4 jaw chuck for penturning, I turn the blanks round between centers and then drill using the collet chuck.

Another option for collets is an ER32 chuck with a MT2 tapered shaft and a set of metric collets. Mine came from Banggood. The collet chuck was $20.49 and a 19 piece set of collets from 2mm-20mm for $43.99. The quality is impressive. They are helpful for making kitless pens.

Top Bottom