What am I doing wrong ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

latelearner

On everything I have made lately, I get very fine rings on the surface after using MM down to 12000, cleaning with denatured alcohol between grits and applying 5-6 coats of Hut Crystal.
004.jpg

008.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

Please forgive the photography, but the diabetes is slowly taking over my eyesight. Thanks for any suggestions.

Larry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glycerine

Need some more info. How are you applying the crystal coat? Could it be that you're not getting rid of your sanding marks (or tool marks) before going to the micromesh? Do you only notice the rings after you apply the crystal coat? How long are you waiting after you apply the denatured alcohol?

Chasper

The rings probably come from sanding, either not enough sanding to remove the cut rings from turning tools, or too large a jump from one grit to the next. Some things you might want to try:

1. Start sanding at about 220 grit and work your way up in small increments; something like 320, 400, 600, then micro mesh.
2. Get some better sandpaper, irregular grits on lower quality paper can leave scratches.
3. Hand sand horizontal with the grain after every grit.

If none of those steps solve the problem, try using a set of cotton buffing wheels.

Willee

Do you clean your sanding pads?
You can get coarse grit contamination on your finer sanding materials.
One single 220 grit on your 1200 grit pad or sandpaper will scratch the surface leaving rings.

Just a guess.

latelearner

Thanks for the replies. I think you hit it on the head with cleaning my sanding pads. I never considered that a coarser grit residue could so easily mess up a final product. Anyway, a valuable lesson learned for me. This is why I enjoy the IAP because the people are knowledgeable and helpful. Thanks again.

Top Bottom