What am I doing wrong here?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bzahn

I'm still new to this. Not sure what I've done to cause the white blotches in the CA finish. I put on two coats of thin CA then 6 or 7 of medium. It seems to have happened some when applying CA and also when I sprayed the accelerator on, but I don't really know if that's it or not. It seems to get worse when sanding. I would appreciate any advice.
Note: I was using bushings while turning, but after removing it, I just stuck it back on the mandrel for the picture.
Finish blotches.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

This is a common problem with CA. It can be caused by to much accelerator, spraying it to close to the blank, not letting one layer cure enough before applying another, moisture in the wood, humidity, and so on. Some brands are better than others. Try thinner coats of medium, hold the accelerator farther back, and once the layer is dry, wipe it off before applying the next layer. (Or skip the accelerator and just wait longer for each layer to dry.

I've used most of the CA glue out there. Once I found Gluboost I stopped using other brands. I don't have that white blotch or crust problem with theirs. They have two types that are made to be a finish (blue and orange labels) and their accelerator doesn't turn white.

CA finishes are a skill you build. Stick with it, you'll get it!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
In addition to John's comments, there is the possibility that some of the white is small pieces of the papertowel used to
even out the glue. If the glue is "sticky" when you start the next coat, it can grab loose pieces of towel.

mgoetzke

Bzhan - I'm pretty new at this too. I discovered Gluboost here and on YouTube. To me for the number of coats you applied you finish looks VERY thick. Maybe watch a few YouTube videos? Some just wipe it on along the axis of the blank and others while the blank is turning slowly.

Good luck!

leehljp

Member Liaison
Thick layers can work but it takes experience. I noticed you are from Missouri. You are having very cool to colder temps there at this time of the year. (I have a daughter in the Springfield area). Cooler temps combined with thicker layers and accelerator can lead to that. The thicker layers with cooler temps don't harden/cure as fast, even with accelerator. High humidities mixed with cooler temps with all of that will also be a contributor. IF you have a heated shop, that helps eliminate some of that. (My experience with humidity, heat and cool along with thin, medium and thick on two different continents was very consistent.) Also, something to help is - let your finishes warm up to room temp before using - at least 75°. CA can be applied successfully down to about 50° but that takes some experience also. For most cases, 75° and above give the most success with the least problems. Accelerator works OK and even well for some, but causes frustration with the side effects it has on finishes for many.

Ray-CA

I was having the same trouble and it was suggested that I seal the ends of the turned blank with some CA before layering it onto the blank itself. I put a few drops onto a paper towel, dip the ends of the blank into the CA and then hit it with a light spray of accelerator. Keeps the moisture from the wet sanding from wicking up the ends of the blanks.

Top Bottom