What a mess

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Was in the shop yesterday milling some holly and Gabon ebony for a few pens I want to try a new segmented idea on. Now I have worked with Gabon Ebony before because I love the true black color you get with it throughout the wood. Well I have a fairly good dust collection setup and had everything on except what I did not take in account was I had to use a zero clearance throat plate on tablesaw to make fine thin slices. This cuts off dust collection on top of the saw. There was no way I could set up a vac system because I had to remove guard and everything. Well I got locked into what I was doing and did not pay attention to the dust. After I was done and getting ready to shut the shop down I noticed this black dust all over everything. The air cleaner above was caked with it and on everything. I had a couple pen blanks I was working on that are delicate and it too became dust filled. well to sum it up I spent the next hour cleaning the shop from this black dust. I sure hope these blanks work out because that was a lesson learned. The shop does look cleaner though. I may have to design some dust collector thing to avoid this again. Just not sure why it spread so much. I have used that method many times before and never had this. Needs some looking into. May also have to check my dust collector and hoses to see if there are blockages because maybe I was not getting complete suction. I have been turning alot of acrylic blanks lately and know those stringy things get caught up in the hoses. This maybe a warning to others also so maybe some good can come from this post.

I think I am going to add an overhead dust collector system. I think this was actually a wake up call and believe I am due for a change in my tablesaw use. I never leave a guard on because I think they are more a hazard than a help and always in the way so will design something either to come off my dust collector or use a shop vac. Needs some thought. I will make an adjustable height arm that attaches to ceiling but need to be able to move around because I always am moving my saw because of lack of room. When cutting larger stock I need to move in the room. Things I need to keep in mind. The mind has now shifted from pen making. May finish up these 10 or 12 pens and then concentrate on this project.

Now if anyone out there has built their own overhead tablesaw dust collector and wants to share some ideas this would be a good place to do so. I and maybe others would be interested in seeing what you have. Or maybe you know of a system that is already available. Any amount of dust collected at saw will help prevent what I just went through in the future. Was not too long ago this year, I went through the entire shop and basement and did some reorganizing and cleaning and would like to keep it that way.

Another project has emerged. :)

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lucky2

John, there's all kinds of patterns or suggestions for them on the internet, on how to build and service them. And as the patterns have been on the go for years, there's usually following postings on how to improve the system's. Try checking Pinterest, or a site that I used to use a lot, woodworkersworkshop.com. And there's probably many other woodworking sites, that have pattern's and ideas of how to built one Good luck, this is a subject that I will follow closely, I'm in the process of getting my new shop set-up. And I probably will be wanting one of these units, but not for a while.

Len

jttheclockman

I've made a similar mess with my lathe thickness sander. Some things are better done outside if possible.
I agree with that. I sand all my scrollsaw work outside no matter what time of the year. For one thing I hate dragging out my down draft table because so easy to just sand outside. My drum sander is the biggest dust making tool I have but a good shop vac keeps that in check along with my overhead air cleaner. Currently that drum sander needs repairs and I have just not gotten to it because mainly have no need for it being my shows are cancelled. Scrollwork is on hold.

jttheclockman

I did some dust collector cleaning today and will post this here and hope others will take notice and do some checking. I have a flex hose that comes off my main trunk line and hooks to the dust collector. I do this because it is easier to empty when I disconnect hose. Anyway I found that 5 feet of flex hose had a huge blockage of those stringy acrylic pieces that we get when turning acrylic blanks. Huge difference when cleared.

So just a reminder pay attention to those stringy things within the Dust Collector.

jttheclockman

John, there's all kinds of patterns or suggestions for them on the internet, on how to build and service them. And as the patterns have been on the go for years, there's usually following postings on how to improve the system's. Try checking Pinterest, or a site that I used to use a lot, woodworkersworkshop.com. And there's probably many other woodworking sites, that have pattern's and ideas of how to built one Good luck, this is a subject that I will follow closely, I'm in the process of getting my new shop set-up. And I probably will be wanting one of these units, but not for a while.

Len

Len I watched a video by Jim Jackson and he showed what he did and I right away loved it. It is what I probably use. It supplied a source. At one time PSI use to carry the saw dust collector arm but they stopped and now it available at Rockler so I ordered one and will build something with it. For $80 not bad.

tomas

Yes, definitely check your hoses, connections, etc. A few weeks ago, I had a similar, tho' lesser experience. I traced down my hoses and found a blockage. I noticed a funny looking twig sticking up from the block. I couldn't reach it with my fingers. I had been fiddling with it for about 5 minutes. I took some long tweezers and reached to pull it and the blockage out. However, as I was pinching down with the tweezers, the twig disappeared and I was being charged by a huge, gigantic, awful lizard. It was actually more afraid of me and about 7 - 8 inches long. Happily he escaped my clutches and disappeared. Also. happily he was one of the sand digger variety instead of the blue-tailed variety. If you grab a blue-tail by the tail, the tail will come off in your hand. Sadly, it all happened too fast to get a photo.

I like the Gabon Ebony and holly combination but mt experience with Holly is that it attracts microscopic dust from any other wood. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Tomas

Lucky2

Tomas, I'm sorry, but I couldn't help but laugh at your expense. As I read the short story about your "huge, gigantic, awful lizard", I was picturing how startled you would have been. Are the blue tailed ones aggressive, would they turn on you rather than flee like this one did?

Len

tomas

Tomas, I'm sorry, but I couldn't help but laugh at your expense. As I read the short story about your "huge, gigantic, awful lizard", I was picturing how startled you would have been. Are the blue tailed ones aggressive, would they turn on you rather than flee like this one did?

Len
They are all very docile and shy. When I was a kid we used to go into the open desert areas and chase and catch them, keep them a couple of hours and let them go. The blue-tails are slightly larger than the sand diggers. The blue-tails will drop their tail and eventually grow a new one. The sand diggers don't drop or regrow their tails. They are great to have around since they eat bugs in the garden. Their natural predators here are Road Runners, hawks, and snakes.

Top Bottom