wet behind the ears

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bodark

Hello all, what a wonderful site! I am just begining my "turn at turning" my wife got me a midi lathe for Christmas as she wants me to "feed her fountain pen obsession" so here i go. the files sections here are great, but one issue i would like to ask about is drilling blanks. i assume that a pen vise is the best way to avoid ruining material by starting a perfect hole that ends up wondering off toward jones' by the time it exits? if so what is the "best" vise for the beginner.
thanks for making this such a cool place,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jbostian

Welcome from Indiana. I can't help you with the vise question. I am using a cheap drill pressvise that I don't really care for. I am sure some one will be along soon to help.

Jamie

el_d

Welcome Dustin, The best Vice IMHO is Paul. You have to get inline for the vice but its worth the wait.......

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome to the madness of pen turning! Lots of fun! Post some picts of your work when you get some pens done!

Below are links to two threads/articles that have lots of information on pen turning. The first one is a very basic overview of the many aspects of getting into turning pens.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

The second link has postings by different pen turners and what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Here is another link - a PDF on the acronyms used here. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't.

http://content.penturners.org/articles/2009/Acronyms.pdf

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
You might be better off drilling on your lathe, Make sure your drill bits are sharpened properly so they are not the cause of the hole wandering. I find rounding the blanks first and then chucking them in the lathe to drill them works best for me.

And welcome to The IAP

bodark

thanks all for the vise info and warm welcome. i will hopefully have a pen or two to show soon. i have been trying my hand at casting blanks over tubes (no drilling, whew!) the resin is drying overnight and still a bit tacky when i left for work so.. we'll see. again thanks for making me feel welcome
dd

glycerine

Welcome. I believe that most vices are made to be self-centering so they are great for drilling exactly in the center of your blank. But I have always drilled fine by turning my drill press table at a 90 dgree angle (parallel to drill bit instead of perpendicular) and clamping the blank in place.
I only did this because I didn't want to spend the extra money on a vise. If you can get one, by all means, do so, but it isn't a necessity.
You may also want to look into getting a collet chuck and drill chuck and drilling on your lathe...

Rfturner

Drilling out

check to make sure that your chucking the bits properly, also check to see that they are not bent. AS far as vises I tried the one from pen state but it began to mess up a few months in. I spent more and more time fixing it. For christmas I got a cheap drill press vise that works much better, I hope that this helps

Mac

Welcome from the Natural State .I see that you are a flintknapper. I also am one or used to do it Just not in several years but want to get back to it.

bodark

hello Mac i am a knapper. im kinda hoping that this pen making will give me some "life balance" from the rocks lol.
i have now had a chance to turn a few pens and am (hopefully attaching a photo)
My first pen was given to a close friend and these are my "last three" i have ruined a few blanks as well. but have learned TONS in the process. (like dont always rely on CA to attach blanks to tubes) the casting is really fun but i have some things to learn here as well,. the inside of my bandsaw looks like a cotton candy machine after making only a few cuts! my need a different toothed blade im using a 14tpi hicarbon? any suggestions. i also separated the skins from the edges of the tube while pressing (too heavy hand i guess?) i also learned how fragile resin tubes are if you accidently drop them on concrete (similar to thin pieces of flint) clink...clink... clink... pieces of cracked resin... oh well live and learn,. what a journey! any an all suggestions and tips ARE greatly APPRECIATED thanks
dustin
DSC_0498.jpg

here are some knapping tools (and points) that i turned too. im sure you all can tell the cedar is slightly "oout of round' but im very new to all of this work. sorry if i im out of bounds not keeping this post entirely pen related.

ps sorry for the sizing im having a fit posting images
dd
DSC_0492.jpg

Last edited:

OKLAHOMAN

Dustin, welcome from beautiful Shawnee, where in OK. are you. If your close and I can help let me know....

bodark

I hate to "bump" this thread BUT. I want to let any new folks who might be reading this and new to the site, what a WONDERFUL resource this site is!. through it I was able to network with Roy aka OKLAHOMAN who lives about an hour from me. He helped me over the phone and invited me to his home to show me how he does things. all i can say is I learned YEARS worth of information in an hour or two. all because I was able to network through IAP (and of course Roy is an exceptional individual). sorry for the babble but I just want to tell someone. thanks IAP and thanks Roy!!!

dustin

jocat54

Welcome from the Texas Hill Country. I have to go with alot of the others on drilling on the lathe--for me no comparison.

Padre

I always use my drill press. Straight and true every time. :)

Welcome to IAP!

OKLAHOMAN

Dustin the pleasure was all mine, for only turning pens for 2 months your way ahead of the curve.

I hate to "bump" this thread BUT. I want to let any new folks who might be reading this and new to the site, what a WONDERFUL resource this site is!. through it I was able to network with Roy aka OKLAHOMAN who lives about an hour from me. He helped me over the phone and invited me to his home to show me how he does things. all i can say is I learned YEARS worth of information in an hour or two. all because I was able to network through IAP (and of course Roy is an exceptional individual). sorry for the babble but I just want to tell someone. thanks IAP and thanks Roy!!!

dustin

Top Bottom