West Systems Epoxy Experiences

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SmokeGSU

I'm new to resin casting and rather than go with the gold standard Alumilite, I decided to give West Systems a shot. A lot of that decision was because of the handy pumping system. I've used both mica powders and Alumilite dyes to color my epoxy, and I'm using the 206 to allow longer time to get the molds into the pressure pot.

West Systems is very runny, or at least the combination I'm using. I'm wondering if others have had this same experience? If you want only one solid color, it's wonderful, and I've created some awesome cholla cactus blanks with a single color epoxy, but at times when I've tried to combine colors to create those really awesome resin blanks you see for sell online, the colors end up mixing together and don't stay separated and distinct. Sometimes this creates a nice subtle effect, but that isn't always the effect that I want - I want the distinct colors. Have others experienced this? Is there a way to "harden" the epoxy before the pour so that it isn't so runny?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vtgaryw

Stands to reason. West 105 w/205 hardener is 975 cps. Alumilite Clear Cast mixed is 2600 cps. West makes a lot of fillers, not sure which of them might or might not work for turning, but they have wonderful tech support if you call them.

-gary

SmokeGSU

Gary, I'm not familiar with the cps rating you've shown, but I assume that's an indicator of how "runny" or "thick" the mixture will be?

lorbay

Gary, I'm not familiar with the cps rating you've shown, but I assume that's an indicator of how "runny" or "thick" the mixture will be?
I use the 410 fairing powder and you can make it as thick as you want. These also accept colours.
Lin.

vtgaryw

Yes, exactly. Centipose. For comparison, a thin CA might be as low as 5 CPS (practically water.) A thick might be up around 700 or so.

-gary

Top Bottom