West Penn Hardwoods

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jmaxcy

Hi all

Im heading to vacation in NC next month and realized I'll be about 30 mins from West Penn Hardwoods. They seem to have a large variety of wood available and seem to be a reputable, well known source.

Has anyone ever been to the store? Any thoughts? Just trying to gauge whether or not I should take the 30 mins out of my precious beer drinking time allotment to make a trip while I'm there.

Also, the problem I have with purchasing from most sites, is that I can't see the actual blank I would be purchasing. Going to the store would obviously help.

Thanks in advance!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eharri446

Anytime you can go put your hands on pen blanks should be taken. Sometimes stores will have a box with discards in it that you can look through. Might be a good source of segmenting woods.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I suspect it would be well worth the time. An opportunity to view your purchases is worth it to me. Beer is patient...

walshjp17

johnjohnson42 said "... like a kid in a candy store....". That is putting it mildly. Trying to keep all the various pen blanks, burls, bowl and peppermill blanks out of your shopping cart (yes, you get to use a shopping cart -- or buggy as they say down here in the Carolinas) is nigh onto impossible. Bring lots of cash and or a credit card. o_O

Frank727

Been there, can't wait to go back! The place is about the size of Home Depot full of wood. Rocky travels all over the world for the wood

Jmaxcy

thanks all!

looks like the consensus is to go and it will be worth the trip. The beer can wait! I'll just drink twice as fast upon my return...

will report back how much financial damage this trip and your guidance has caused me....

(Me rushing to check where the heck that is located) "hmmmm…. Only 4.5 hours from my house…" (now trying to figure out a way to talk my hubby into a trip that direction). 😆

but I checked out the website and it sounds amazing!!

sorcerertd

I've been there many times and I still act like a kid in a candy store when I walk through the door!

^ This! Exactly this! ^

I saw the other day that they are having a sale on some Olivewood turning stock. One piece of advice, double check the prices that are marked on sale. They are not always good about keeping up with changing out the sale price signs and you will pay what's in their system, not what's marked on the shelf.

gimpy

Been there a few times. It's nothing to spend a couple thousand. Do your self a favor plan on being there for at least a half of day

enjoy. And tell him gimpy says hi

skipseke

Been there done it.It was worth the ytip.Was in NC on vacation and about 40 miles from then
Nice place lots of wood slabs pen blanks.They have it all nice people would like to go back someday. You'll enjoy it.

Top Bottom