Wenge oriental box

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dale Lynch

Dale Lynch

Made this over the spring and summer,10" sq x 7" tall. An absolute pain in the butt because it splinters just looking at it trying to turn in this orientation. Did get me best in show for the local fair.
DSCF5061.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred Bruche

The proportions between every element are exquisite, a lot of thinking went into making this piece. Did you make the finial using wenge as well? Could you share a picture of the box open?

Dale Lynch

The proportions between every element are exquisite, a lot of thinking went into making this piece. Did you make the finial using wenge as well? Could you share a picture of the box open?
Sure, I just had to take more pics.The base is made from one peice 10" x 2". The top is 2 laminated peices 7"sq I alternated the grain. And the finial is a pen blank I had laying around,It was the easiest part.1/16" dia on the stem. deft laquer finish.
DSCF5069.jpg
DSCF5070.jpg
DSCF5071.jpg
DSCF5075.jpg
DSCF5077.jpg

sorcerertd

That's beautiful Dale! It does indeed look and sound like it required great care (ie. a pain), but you certainly did it well. What did you use for finish? Seems like a lot of finishes soak in cause the grain to lose that beautiful contrast. As far as pens go, CA makes it look almost black.

jrista

I learned it from Jimmy Clewes when he did a demo in Lincoln. He has a video on youtube if you want to see how it's done.
I think I found it! In fact, I think I watched this about a year ago.... Clewes is an absolute wood wizard! I love that guy, and how he turns. I think he's my top turner...I've learned more about gouge technique from him than anyone. I think Kent Weakley comes in a very close second to Clewes, but Clewes' humor is just awesome.

Dale Lynch

That's beautiful Dale! It does indeed look and sound like it required great care (ie. a pain), but you certainly did it well. What did you use for finish? Seems like a lot of finishes soak in cause the grain to lose that beautiful contrast. As far as pens go, CA makes it look almost black.
It certainly did soak up the finish. I used about a can and a half of Deft gloss spray lacquer. It's a lot darker without the flash from the camera

sorcerertd

It certainly did soak up the finish. I used about a can and a half of Deft gloss spray lacquer. It's a lot darker without the flash from the camera
Wow. There's just something about those softer growth rings. I'm sure it looks good even in a more natural light. Darker would suit that design just as well.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Beautiful artistry Dale. As mentioned, the proportions are exquisite. But hey, couldn't you get the finial a bit thinner..... šŸ¤£ šŸ¤£ šŸ¤£

Top Bottom