WEN Tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mick

What's everyone's thoughts on WEN tools. I'm usually the "buy once cry once" type. However I recently bought a WEN drill press, a tool I don't use often. I've been satisfied with it's performance. It's a nicely built unit and will do the limited work that I have come up.
My question is about their smaller hand tools.
I'm going to have to replace my 25 yrs old Craftsman router and was shocked how much a new router was. Dewalt, Bosch, Makita all over $200 either including a plunge base or strictly a plunge router. For $99 I can get a WEN plunge router. It won't be used except for occasional projects. Does anyone have any direct experience with one? What's your thoughts?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

southernclay

I have their track saw and I've been very happy. No experience with the router but the track saw will be used only on occasion for me so the price was a no brainer.

FGarbrecht

I have 2 Wen air filtration units, the small drill press, and the belt/disk sander. No complaints with any of them, but I have not had hands on their router. I look at reviews; some Wen tools get decent reviews but some have lots of bad reviews and I stay away from those products. In general I am a believer in buying high quality / high price, but unfortunately my budget forces compromises. I noticed looking at the Amazon reviews for the Wen plunge router, most were good but a couple mentioned poor QC, difficulty with getting support, and problems with the plunge mechanism ('sticky', wobbly). Having tried to use a different plunge router with a sticky mechanism, I would stay away from any plunge router with reviews like that. A router needs high accuracy, stable mechanisms, high quality bearings and excellent concentricity, so IMO I think it is worth it to buy a more expensive, higher quality tool from a company known for consistent products.

Mike P

I have a small WEN bandsaw that I use for cutting blanks and have started using for some simple segmenting. I replaced the blade that came with it to something I thought was a little better quality but I've had no trouble with it. Price was right and for the amount I'm using it I'm happy.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I've had the 14" band saw for awhile now. No problems so far. I just hung the 3410 air cleaner this morning, and it works.
That's the extent of help from me. 🙂

Bats

I've got one of the air scrubbers (probably the same as FGarbrecht and Dalecamino) and their knockoff Dremel. The former does everything it's supposed to (although, let's face it, it's just a box with a squirrel cage blower and a pair of filters), and the latter... well, it's a little lacking in torque at low speeds and the flex shaft that came with it isn't much good at all (I promptly swapped it out for the name brand version), but it's stood up to a fair bit of abuse over the past five years, while I've had trouble with real Dremels crapping out in half that. Well worth the $20.

I can't comment on their larger hand tools, though.

-Bats

mick

I have 2 Wen air filtration units, the small drill press, and the belt/disk sander. No complaints with any of them, but I have not had hands on their router. I look at reviews; some Wen tools get decent reviews but some have lots of bad reviews and I stay away from those products. In general I am a believer in buying high quality / high price, but unfortunately my budget forces compromises. I noticed looking at the Amazon reviews for the Wen plunge router, most were good but a couple mentioned poor QC, difficulty with getting support, and problems with the plunge mechanism ('sticky', wobbly). Having tried to use a different plunge router with a sticky mechanism, I would stay away from any plunge router with reviews like that. A router needs high accuracy, stable mechanisms, high quality bearings and excellent concentricity, so IMO I think it is worth it to buy a more expensive, higher quality tool from a company known for consistent products.
Yeah, I'm a buy the best you can afford kinda guy but I'm up in the air about this. I'm a Dewalt fanboy and have always had great service and customer service from them. They sell a three piece set consisting of the standard router, the plunge base and the base with a push handle. The WEN is $100 the Dewalt is around $275. Maybe I need to hold off until Amazon prime day and see what pops up.

jttheclockman

And truthfully that's all I'll use it. My Craftsman of 25 yrs served me well but I think I'd like a router with a plunge base for some projects I have un mind.
Well I can not vouch for them because I have no Wen tools and never would. If it fits your needs then go for it. Good luck.

Top Bottom