Wen air filtration system

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

qquake

Anybody use something like this? How well does it work? Can it really clear the air in a garage?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

qquake

Let me know what you come up with, Jim. I'm looking at a "whole shop" filtering system. I'm tired of sneezing my fool head off after spending a day in the shop.
I will. I was just looking at the area above my lathe, and it would have to hang from the rafters because of the garage door track. I don't know if it would work or not. I'll have to talk to my son, he's the one that would install it.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I have a Jet - very similar. I would buy it again in an eye blink! I turn it on as soon as I get in the shop. When I do a lot of sanding or use my router, it is especially important. Every time I change the filters (2-3 months) I see what could have been in my lungs.

I am short... 5' 7" and still have to duck a bit due to the low profile of it, but it is a blessing for my breathing. No problem ducking a bit - and I did use safe sided thick insulation tape for each corner and side.

Jet Air Filter.

Last edited:

magpens

Jim, thanks for showing that machine.

Even if it doesn't do the job perfectly, it would be a big improvement on what you have now (which, I assume, is nothing).

I've been getting concerned about what I am breathing also .... there are more issues than just the sneezing.

qquake

I have a Jet - very similar. I would buy it again in an eye blink! I turn it on as soon as I get in the shop. When I do a lot of sanding or use my router, it is especially important. Every time I change the filters (2-3 months) I see what could have been in my lungs.

I am short... 5' 7" and still have to duck a bit due to the low profile of it, but it is a blessing for my breathing. No problem ducking a bit - and I did use safe sided thick insulation tape for each corner and side.

Jet Air Filter.
In my case, head banging wouldn't be an issue, since I would have to install it above the garage door track.

Sly Dog

I've had the same unit in my shop - which is a partially converted garage - for maybe 2 years now. Photo attached (upper right). It works great - love the timer/shut off feature.

A67124F6-EEEC-466C-8E7C-627228ED1CF9.jpeg

SteveJ

I've got one in my shop which is 8x16. I've done some extensive sanding on ringmaster bowls and it has done a great job clearing the air! I also hit my head on it enough times to move it over some equipment to prevent those headaches from returning.

jttheclockman

- Circulate the air in a 1000 square foot room up to 7.5 times per hour
- Three-speed operation flows air at a rate of 556, 702, or 1044 cubic feet per minute
- Includes a 1-micron filter and a 5-micron pre-filter, both of which can be easily replaced
- Programmable timer automatically shuts unit off after set number of minutes
- Remote control allows users to set timer, change speed and power the unit on and off from up to 26 feet away
- RF remote system allows for operation from any angle of the room, even if direct line of vision is obstructed
#3417 unit

If you have heavy dust producing machines you are best to collect at the source. These filters are not instant like a dust collector or shop vac. They are just another layer of dust collecting to protect lungs and eyes.

Curly

The minimum number of recommended air changes per hour by someone that knows better than I is 10 exchanges per hour. Also it isn't a straight CFM divided into the volume calculation. Each pass (assuming it gets into all the corners etc) through the filtration machine removes half of the dust with the next pass removing half again and so on until the remaining is negligible.

Therefore it is best to capture at the source of dust production as John said.

Next if you have the climate for it and I classify Northern California as mild, is to vent directly outside with makeup air coming in from the opposite side of the room.

A last resort is the air filtration units. Unless you have very good collection at the source you should be wearing a good mask during and well after making the dust. An inexpensive particle counter will tell you when the dust levels have been reduced otherwise you are still breathing it even if you can't see it.

Dust cop 😉

SteveG

I have a WEN unit, less than a year old. It seems to be too loud when on high speed. I have not made a direct comparison with other brands. In a discussion with my brother, I get the impression that his Jet unit runs a bit quieter. This should be considered as a subjective opinion/comparison. When run on low or medium, I consider the noise level acceptable. All other features are fine. I run it on medium when in the shop, and on high when out, or when in the shop and using continuous hearing protection for whatever process is happening at the time.

Penchant 4

Anybody use something like this? How well does it work? Can it really clear the air in a garage?

I have the Wen in the turning/sanding space and the Porter Cable version in the sawing/grinding space. Based upon the color change over time of the filter elements; they do the job. Sawing space is ~400 SF with an open to roof truss system. Turning space is about half as big with a finished ceiling @ 8' AFF. Both units are mounted overhead.

Sort story...I like them.

JimB

I have the Grizzly version of that unit in my 10x17 basement shop. Works great in combination with my dust collector.

BTW, read the instruction for where to mount it. It does not go over your tool. It goes near the wall to circulate air around your shop.

MRDucks2

I use a Jet that I got a deal on in my existing shop and it is removing dust. In my previous shop I was going to actually use 2 of the Wen systems on opposite walls to rotate air.

Think of this as something that "polishes" the air. Agree removing at source and a respirator are best, but neither gets all the dust. With this unit running it helps pull the free floating fines out missed by the source dust collector and really helps clean the air so you can get back in the shop after cutting/sanding quicker than you may have without it. It also helps reduce residual dust on the surfaces in the shop.

As a primary dust collector… not what it is intended for.

I have been surprised by how much additional dust it is pulling out, though.

jttheclockman

Someone suggested mounting close to a wall. Just a point that wall and any thing on it will become the most dusty area of the shop because of the back fan. It will blow the fine dust against that wall as it circulates. Just the nature of these things. All dust is not funneled in the front.

MRDucks2

Someone suggested mounting close to a wall. Just a point that wall and any thing on it will become the most dusty area of the shop because of the back fan. It will blow the fine dust against that wall as it circulates. Just the nature of these things. All dust is not funneled in the front.
I wondered about the same thing with the Jet that I got as Jet recommends mounting it 3 or 4 inches off a wall. The way it is set up with the squirrel cage blower, the discharge is largely center and to the left with no noticeable air to the right and only slight right of center. If you come off the right side there is about a 60 degree wedge of no real air movement off the right side, against the wall. It slings the air more out into the room if mounted horizontally. Not sure if they all do that or not.

jttheclockman

I wondered about the same thing with the Jet that I got as Jet recommends mounting it 3 or 4 inches off a wall. The way it is set up with the squirrel cage blower, the discharge is largely center and to the left with no noticeable air to the right and only slight right of center. If you come off the right side there is about a 60 degree wedge of no real air movement off the right side, against the wall. It slings the air more out into the room if mounted horizontally. Not sure if they all do that or not.
Again these are only my thoughts and findings. I have mine situated over the center of my workbench. I have low ceilings in my shop so this way I do not hit with my head. Now if working on a large project on the bench, I can easily move the bench because it is on casters. If I put over any tools I would sure hit it. I have plenty of room behind the blower but also have a book shelf on the wall and every once in awhile I have to vac that shelf off because of what I talked about. To me you need to circulate the air 360 degrees around them and not 180 degrees. I have an older PSI unit that I bought many many years ago and it is still going strong. Plus where mine is set up I have my drum sander which is the most dust producing tool in the shop and any leakage from the dust collector will go right up to the air cleaner. This works for me.

NJturner

I have a Rikon unit - similar to the WEN. I've had it for about five years and am super pleased with how well it works. The proof in what it takes out of the air is easy to see when you clean or replace the filters. I've got mine ceiling mounted (8 foot), slightly offset from my main dust generators - my table saw, belt sander and my lathe. When I am sanding or cutting, the unit is powered up. I also have a large dust collector system working for the main collection, with the Rikon ceiling mounted unit simply picking up airborne dust. The Rikon offers a remote controlled 3 speed fan and a dual filter element - a simple replaceable 5 micron pleated paper filter as the first filter point and a 1 micron cloth secondary filter inside the unit. Both filters can be cleaned easily by a simple clip to open up the filter end of the unit. I highly recommend this unit, or any unit to collect fine airborne dust as a good way to help protect your lungs!

AZDesertRat

I've had the Wen a little over a year now.
I use it along with my 1 HP dust collection system which has been modified with a large diesel truck air filter and am very happy with it.
Pay close attention to how the air circulates in your shop or garage when installing it so you are not pulling fine dust towards yourself and it will be a great addition.

Top Bottom