Well this Dr visit didn't go as expected

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
I said to my wife last summer that this year (2023) has been the hardest on me physically as I just did not have the energy I used to have. And I take my vitamins and Boost drinks regularly. My heart doctor gave me 40mg of atorvastatin last November (2022). My wife was taking 10mg. Her cholesterol was higher than mine. I didn't know we were taking different levels til last summer. My physical in Sept revealed I had a cholesterol average level of 120, down from 190-200 for the last 15 years.

Did some research and said Atorvastatin in high doses could cause low energy. WENT to heart doctor to lower my prescription. He did - to 20 mg, but he wanted to check on my low energy levels as having another cause. I had a CT scan (heart) in Nov. that revealed one artery that had a 70% blockage.

SCHEDULED a heart cath for Jan 10 with possibility of a stint. I fell asleep during the cath even though everyone said no one hardly goes to sleep during a cath.

When I woke up - It didn't go as planned. I have 4 vessels with 99% blockage, and another spot with similar blockage. Will have heart bypass tomorrow afternoon - Friday 12th.

I told the doctor that I didn't feel THAT bad for having that much blockage. He said: "Occasionally some vessels route more blood through other vessels and keep the heart going." I'm not sure how true that is as sometimes we get told what we want to hear.

I came to the hospital expecting go to home the same night. Now it will be a good 8 to 10 days. I am not worried about it or anxious either - except for the 4 to 5 weeks of not being active the way I like. I had three trips planned that I had to cancel - Atlanta, Jackson, MS and Springfield, MO. I did tell the doctor that I wanted to inspect his saw blades to see how sharp they were. I offered to sharpen them to a razor sharpness. He laughed and declined!

jttheclockman

Hank, sorry to hear this. But also glad they did find out what is causing the sluggishness. Today's bypass surgery is a far cry from what it was years ago. May the Good Lord be with you and be good as new again.

greenacres2

Best wishes Hank...and be patient. From friends who have been in similar circumstances--you may find your energy level goes back up pretty quickly, hence making it more difficult to be a patient "patient"!! You and Your wife are in our prayers for a speedy recovery!!
earl

Wayne

IAP Library Manager
Staff member
Hank,
Sorry for your disappointment. Better late then never. It is scary but it is the right decision.
I've been lucky to only need 9 stints.
My sister had a BP when she was 50 all went well she's 82.
My mother had a BP in her middle 50's she lived to be 92.
My father had heart problems in his early 50's. In the 1960's the procedure was only about 50% success rate. He waited, he died.
These days the success rate is probably 100%.
After your surgery, you will do rehab for about 3 months minimum.
During my rehab I met many over weight and under weight men and women who said it was a miracle to regain their strength. A renewed life.
You've got God and many friends praying for you. Stay positive!

God bless,

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Sorry to hear about your surprise. Glad they were able to catch it before it gave you more problems. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy and safe recovery.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Life can be very surprising. I am glad you got ahead of your condition - it is better to address as much as you can before a true emergency crisis. I will keep you in my thoughts.

moke

Good Luck Hank...not that you need it...the doctors do so many it is really kind of routine now days...the important part is catching it in time...which you did...now just lay back and let them fix you up.....

leehljp

Member Liaison
Kami-sama no shukufuku ga arimasu yoni.
My daughter was looking over my shoulder as I was reading and she saw your post before I did and said in a surprised voice: "Dad you got a reply in Japanese."
Domo, arigatogozaimasu!

I thank everyone for their replies, prayers and good wishes. You are such Great friends here!

Woodchipper

Prayers for you. Good that you went to the doctor and the follow-up revealed the blockage. One of our church staff had the same situation..."OK, doc, operate."

derekdd

I'm so glad for preventative CV medicine.

If we turned back the clock 30-40 years, the outcomes would likely be different.

I wish you the best with the procedure and a speedy recovery.

sorcerertd

Wow, but isn't that just how it happens? I also echo that it's good that they found the blockages. Prayers for smooth sailing through the procedures and for the Dr and staff that will be taking care of you!

My Navy training told me to "never ring the bell". And I never did Hank. Grab your demons by the lower lip, throw them in the ocean but never quit. Never, ever ring the bell!!! God will take will take you when he sees fit and you can ring your bell then. God bless you. Don't ring the bell yet!

MedWoodWorx

I said to my wife last summer that this year (2023) has been the hardest on me physically as I just did not have the energy I used to have. And I take my vitamins and Boost drinks regularly. My heart doctor gave me 40mg of atorvastatin last November (2022). My wife was taking 10mg. Her cholesterol was higher than mine. I didn't know we were taking different levels til last summer. My physical in Sept revealed I had a cholesterol average level of 120, down from 190-200 for the last 15 years.

Did some research and said Atorvastatin in high doses could cause low energy. WENT to heart doctor to lower my prescription. He did - to 20 mg, but he wanted to check on my low energy levels as having another cause. I had a CT scan (heart) in Nov. that revealed one artery that had a 70% blockage.

SCHEDULED a heart cath for Jan 10 with possibility of a stint. I fell asleep during the cath even though everyone said no one hardly goes to sleep during a cath.

When I woke up - It didn't go as planned. I have 4 vessels with 99% blockage, and another spot with similar blockage. Will have heart bypass tomorrow afternoon - Friday 12th.

I told the doctor that I didn't feel THAT bad for having that much blockage. He said: "Occasionally some vessels route more blood through other vessels and keep the heart going." I'm not sure how true that is as sometimes we get told what we want to hear.

I came to the hospital expecting go to home the same night. Now it will be a good 8 to 10 days. I am not worried about it or anxious either - except for the 4 to 5 weeks of not being active the way I like. I had three trips planned that I had to cancel - Atlanta, Jackson, MS and Springfield, MO. I did tell the doctor that I wanted to inspect his saw blades to see how sharp they were. I offered to sharpen them to a razor sharpness. He laughed and declined!
All the best, my father and also my father in law underwent surgery this year (2023) and they are feeling great now. Stay positive, best wishes.
Mike

Lew

Sorry to be so late but I read what's on my computer only once a day in the morning. I'm always amazed to think that only a few years ago what they found wrong with you would have been terminal with nothing the doctors could do. Now, however, it is a fairly routine procedure that will have you back on your feet in no time. Best wishes for a speedy recovery and I look forward to reading your posts again soon.

keithbyrd

Hank, Will be praying for your speedy recovery - Certainly glad it was found in timely manner - Timely manner being God's timing - Looking forward to hearing about your miracles!

Top Bottom