Well, Here it Is! - Cocobolo Magnetic Graduate in Chrome

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from egnald

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska. Well, here it is, my first Chrome Magnetic Graduate from Exotic Blanks with a Cocobolo Rosewood blank that I had in a box labeled "Use these First".

The blank had a very dark area on it that contained a knot and a nasty void. I originally thought about starting over with a better blank, but as I mentioned in another post - I just have a hard time letting this kind of thing go. After trying a couple of methods I wound up turning it to nearly the final dimension, using a pick to dig out my failed attempt at wood filler, and filling the crack up with black CA. I think it turned out pretty good all things considered.

Since this is my first time with this kit and since it's been quite a while since I've made any pens, I decided up front that it wouldn't go in my collection but would replace the Zen I've been carrying for 6 months or so. (I really like the magnetic cap on the Zen so I expect I will really like using the heftier Magnetic Graduate. And, my favorite refill, Pilot G2 with a Broad tip, fit in it nicely without any modifications).

Anyhow, here are the pictures and thumbnails. - Dave

IMG_4101 Cropped.jpg

IMG_4093 Cropped.jpg
IMG_4094 Cropped 2.jpg
IMG_4095 Cropped.jpg
IMG_4096 Cropped.jpg
IMG_4097 Cropped.jpg
IMG_4098 Cropped.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4094 Cropped.jpg
    IMG_4094 Cropped.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

moke

It's a beautiful pen egnald....I have made a bunch of those recently, but I really don't like the tip and cone...it just seems klunky and uncomfortable. Don't get me wrong, your work is awesome as you always are...your fit and finish is perfect IMO, just commenting on the kit....
I should point out that the magnetic part is cool...stays well when you want it to, and comes off easy. And how many people try to pull off screw top? A lot do, in my opinion....

egnald

It's a beautiful pen egnald....I have made a bunch of those recently, but I really don't like the tip and cone...it just seems klunky and uncomfortable. Don't get me wrong, your work is awesome as you always are...your fit and finish is perfect IMO, just commenting on the kit....
I should point out that the magnetic part is cool...stays well when you want it to, and comes off easy. And how many people try to pull off screw top? A lot do, in my opinion....
Thanks. I am a little concerned about the abrupt step in the tip myself. It hits right on my finger when I am writing. I thought about the Magnetic Vertex kit, but aesthetically I like the round tip shape more than the faceted. I might have to try one though to gauge how it feels vs the Magnetic Graduate. - Dave

moke

I made some Vertex too. Its the same size tubes, and bushings. Its slightly longer (1/2") and has a longer reach on the cone, so not as bad, but I usually make Atraxes' and those are so much smoother and sleeker. I do get the non-postable, I want to force people to not post, because it is so easier and comfortable to write with that way. I wish they were magnetic. I guess I feel the vertex is klunkier looking than even the graduate. It has the facet, and looks like a bolt theme.....just my opinion.

A few years back, Ed posted that he thought folks should be using the Atrax parts in kitless. I thought that was a good idea, so I use the nose cone and clip. I never liked fountain pens...( I'll probably be excommunicated for saying that) and people don't really want them either...at least from me. So I buy them from Dawn.

I don't know, like you I am trying other kits....I still keep coming back to the Atrax. It is reasonable, looks great, and popular.

d_bondi

That turned out really nice Dave! I always like Cocobolo and love the blackness of the streak in this one.

I too struggle with both the Graduate and Vertex magnetic kits. I like them magnetic concept, but don't love the awkward step in the Graduate and don't love the hexagonal shape of the Vertex. Why can't someone just make a magnetic kit that looks normal on the outside and is comfortable to hold and write with?

@moke on the Atrax kits, I have only made a few of them, but he first one I made was in gunmetal and in very little time I began noticing scratches and such through the plating down to the brass on the section. I haven't had this happen with any other pen kits, so was quite disappointed with it. Have you had any issues with the quality of the plating on the Atrax kits?

derekdd

That turned out great, Dave. Cocobolo is such a great pen wood.

Good call on the black CA. Also, it's good to hear the Pilot G2 gel refill fits.

I've had some luck with the Graduate and Executive as one of my inexpensive rollerball offerings along with the magnetic Vertex. People seem to like the magnetic caps.

Burnpile

I'm a Rookie and just a hobbyist but have liked the magnetic styles from Penn State. Do they handle the Atrax? Also can you purchase the Pilot G2 refills from Staples?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I'm a Rookie and just a hobbyist but have liked the magnetic styles from Penn State. Do they handle the Atrax? Also can you purchase the Pilot G2 refills from Staples?
The atrax is made by Berea. If you want to purchase PSI products and the Atrax at one source, you can do so at Exotic Blanks. Also, all pen kits purchased are added together to determine your quantity discount, so you will save money by buying from us (I am one of the "principals" of ExoticBlanks.com

Dieseldoc

Dave: I think you did a great job with the blank, has special outstanding look for coccbolo. Never knew about using the black CA, will have to get some.👍😎

egnald

I've been at it for about 7 years now and I still consider myself a Rookie and I'm just a hobbyist too!

To answer one of your questions, although one can order Pilot G2 gel ink refills with the Broad tip, I have found the easiest is to buy Pilot G2 pen multi-packs at my local Walmart store just to get the refills. It might seem wasteful, but it is the most cost effective solution I have found -- no shipping costs!

Even though Ed answered your other question I thought I would chime in as well. Exotic Blanks, run by Ed Brown (ed4copies) and Dawn Kizer (PR_Princess), is always my first stop whenever I am shopping for pen stuff. They have a very broad and diverse inventory, they have good and competitive prices, they are quick to pick and ship, they provide first class customer service, and of course there are the Peanut M&M's.

I've learned a lot by watching Ed's videos. For example, about a year or so ago ago, "Assemble Junior Series" - taught me how to assemble the Junior series pens to provide the best grain alignment. Usually the instruction sheets do not list the steps in this order and it is the order that is the most important for grain alignment. Things that I have found very useful are comments about "beware of crud" around the center band at about 3:00 minutes in and about alignment due to "Triple start threads" at about 6:20.

Also from about a year ago, "Cigar Pen Design Improvement" is a great video about a custom bushing set that Ed designed which in my opinion greatly improves the fit and feel of the Cigar style pens. Since then I got rid of all of my older style Cigar bushings and have replaced them with Ed's bushings.

Of course Ed has put out many other YouTube videos as well. You can find them on the "Exotics' Short Vids" YouTube channel. Ed also produced many videos like turning with Faux Stone, turning using M3 (metallic blanks), and using a painted dowel to help decide what color to paint the inside of plastic pen blanks that can all be found on the "Ed from ExoticBlanks" YouTube channel.

Best Regards,
Dave

sorcerertd

The wood repair looks great to me. Do you by chance have any pictures of it in progress?

And how many people try to pull off screw top?
Almost everyone I hand a junior to tries to pull on the cap first.

Also can you purchase the Pilot G2 refills from Staples?
The pilot website might be the best place to get them. Though they are easy to find in office supply stores, the selection is much much better on their site and they have free shipping on orders over $5.

cl1237

I like the kit. I'm a fan of the magnetic cap. I've made several of the magnetic vertex, but prefer having a two barrel pen as opposed to the metal cap on the magnetic vertex. This looks like it will fit the bill, I'll have to try some out

egnald

I like the kit. I'm a fan of the magnetic cap. I've made several of the magnetic vertex, but prefer having a two barrel pen as opposed to the metal cap on the magnetic vertex. This looks like it will fit the bill, I'll have to try some out
The Vertex Supreme uses the same design concept with wood on the cap as well. It even uses the same bushings as the Magnetic Graduate. The biggest difference I can see is the shape of the tip and finial. I will likely be getting some of those to try out when I get my next allowance. - Dave

Burnpile

Thanks for the feedback and the recommendations. Because of the heft of the magnetic pens I think they deserve a broader tip. The videos sound interesting and I will tune into a couple. As I said I'm a rookie and a hobbyist but at 79 years old have been involved in a lot of household and hobby projects over the years. Before getting into pen turning I thought I had all the drill bits I would ever need…Wrong!
Thanks Again

Attachments

• IMG_3974.jpeg
    IMG_3974.jpeg
    356.9 KB · Views: 36

bugradx2

I made some Vertex too. Its the same size tubes, and bushings. Its slightly longer (1/2") and has a longer reach on the cone, so not as bad, but I usually make Atraxes' and those are so much smoother and sleeker. I do get the non-postable, I want to force people to not post, because it is so easier and comfortable to write with that way. I wish they were magnetic. I guess I feel the vertex is klunkier looking than even the graduate. It has the facet, and looks like a bolt theme.....just my opinion.

A few years back, Ed posted that he thought folks should be using the Atrax parts in kitless. I thought that was a good idea, so I use the nose cone and clip. I never liked fountain pens...( I'll probably be excommunicated for saying that) and people don't really want them either...at least from me. So I buy them from Dawn.

I don't know, like you I am trying other kits....I still keep coming back to the Atrax. It is reasonable, looks great, and popular.
you won't get excommunicated (I hope) but I am laughing that you buy the parts from Dawn. Hoping Ed won't notice and start the excommunication?

Top Bottom