Welcome to the Jigs, Fixtures, & Shop Aids forum

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
This forum is intended as a place to show and discuss jigs, fixtures, and shop aids.
  • Jigs are usually intended to help locate tools, bits, blades, etc. relative to a workpiece to provide accuracy in repeatable operations. Examples are a drilling jig, used to locate holes in a pen barrel, or a cutoff sled that provides repeatable length cuts without measuring.
  • Fixtures are primarily work holding devices, allowing workpieces to be secured in a repeatable fashion. Examples are a mandrel and bushing assembly, and a blank drilling vise.
  • Shop Aids are things that improve organization and efficiency in your shop. Tool racks, sandpaper dispensers, and drill bit stands are examples.
Whether shop-built or commercially available, these things generally improve the safety and efficiency of your workflow, the quality of your projects, and add to the enjoyment and satisfaction of the time you spend in your shop.

Thanks to John @jttheclockman for suggesting this forum
David @crokett will be moderating and helping to steer the discussions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Just would like to say Thanks to Jeff for getting this set up so fast and it looks good. The description of the site should tell it all. Hopefully many will take full advantage of this tool. We have seen so many cool ideas come through here for making things easier to accomplish certain aspects of segmenting, casting, and even shop organizing and at times they get lost. I know myself I have tried to do searches on something that I knew I saw but just could not find it to help someone out. This will now be easier to just link to this forum. David thanks for stepping up and hopefully as most things go here it will be a well oiled machine.

boatemp

I don't know if this is what this is for. I spent a good part of last night looking for a miter table (similar to a band saw table) that would attach to a lathe. Maybe a table with a tool rest shaft attached. I don't weld nor do I have the space to play with the idea. I hope someone here may come up with something. I'm thinking a table to put one of Penn States' blank squarer things to go on.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I don't know if this is what this is for. I spent a good part of last night looking for a miter table (similar to a band saw table) that would attach to a lathe. Maybe a table with a tool rest shaft attached. I don't weld nor do I have the space to play with the idea. I hope someone here may come up with something. I'm thinking a table to put one of Penn States' blank squarer things to go on.

This is a new forum, so participation will be less initially, but will grow! Patience is appreciated for the early stages.

crokett

You could make one out of wood that locks between the ways the same way your banjo does. As long as the outsides of the ways are square to the center line (they should be) you can use that to square the table up. Either that or create a jig that goes between centers to square the table when you are attaching it.

jttheclockman

Not sure what you are trying to do but here is a thread about a jig I made for my router to be used on a lathe. Maybe some ideas can come out of it for you. Maybe if you explain a little more what you are looking to do we can help more. Good luck.

www.penturners.org/threads/my-jig.104253/

boatemp

What I was thinking is something like small router table or table saw table (miniature, maybe 6x10) with a mount that would fit into tailstock drill chuck. I've seen some cheap aluminum router tables that can be cut, preserving the miter slot. Make base with a .5" rod t to find a out the back that would fit into the chuck. No fuss mounting and adjustment. Would take the PSI blank squaring jig or a miter gauge to square blanks. I've got it in my mind, just got to find a router table top to chop up.
Just wyling (sp) some time waiting for St. Nick:eek:😆

KMCloonan

This will be a gold mine for anyone trying to learn how things can be made better and more reproducibly!

I have seen so many ingenious jigs & fixtures over the past several years, that I had no way to find again. Is there any way to retroactively recategorize some posts from earlier to move them into this forum?

jttheclockman

This will be a gold mine for anyone trying to learn how things can be made better and more reproducibly!

I have seen so many ingenious jigs & fixtures over the past several years, that I had no way to find again. Is there any way to retroactively recategorize some posts from earlier to move them into this forum?
I think that the only way that can happen is if the author puts a link or copies and pastes the thread here. They are scattered in many forums unfortunately and that is why I thought it would be nice to have that central location. Yes this will help alot if members remember to post to it.

KMCloonan

I agree. I remember some pictures @KenB259 posted of some jigs and fixtures he built. I tried to save photos, but then I lose all the commentary. Ken, if you have time, I would love to see your segmenting sled again. also the fixture you built for clamping glue-ups. Thanks!

Top Bottom