"Weed Pots"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bmac

Trying to get ready for SWAT this year. These are some of the "Weed Pot" banquet table decoration that will be the theme for this year. Two of them are Oak with some of the bark still on, a Cherry with bark, Cypress and a piece of Holly that I experimented using the metal effects coating on. It's copper with a green patina aged look.

Attachments

• Weed Pot.jpg
    Weed Pot.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 151
  • Weed Pot2.jpg
    Weed Pot2.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 153
  • Weed Pot3.jpg
    Weed Pot3.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 149
  • Weed Pot4.jpg
    Weed Pot4.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 154
  • Weed Pot5.jpg
    Weed Pot5.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 160
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MedWoodWorx

Trying to get ready for SWAT this year. These are some of the "Weed Pot" banquet table decoration that will be the theme for this year. Two of them are Oak with some of the bark still on, a Cherry with bark, Cypress and a piece of Holly that I experimented using the metal effects coating on. It's copper with a green patina aged look.
are these small in size?they look very nice

bmac

Got a couple more "Weed Pots" done, think I'm going to call it a day. One is a Maple pot with a bunch of Beetle holes in it, the other one is an old piece of Osage that has been lying around the shop forever. Wire brushed it, did a little turning on it, other than that, left it like it was.
The size of the pots average 3 to 4" in dia. and 6 to 7" tall, but can be any size one wants.

Attachments

• Weed Pot7.jpg
    Weed Pot7.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 128
  • Weed Pot6.jpg
    Weed Pot6.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 123

bmac

Two more Weed Pots done, one is Mahogany and the left over piece of Osage I had. Also made a Blue Bird box for neighbor but forgot to take picture.

Attachments

• Weed Pot8.jpg
    Weed Pot8.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 108
  • Weed Pot9.jpg
    Weed Pot9.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 100

dogcatcher

Excellent.
For the people in the south, Cedar fence staves are cheap, about 5 foot long and about 2 inches in diameter. A lot of w÷d pots with bark on can be made for less than 2 bucks.

bmac

Completed some more "Weed Pot" before the bad weather moved in. Don't like running the lathe or big saws during storms, so will have to wait for the weather to clear before getting back in the shop. They are Mahogany, Walnut and Poplar with a spray lacquer finish.

Attachments

• Weed Pot10.jpg
    Weed Pot10.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 110
  • Weed Pot11.jpg
    Weed Pot11.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 101
  • Weed Pot12.jpg
    Weed Pot12.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 106

greenacres2

@bmac Great looking bunch of weed pots. On the "natural" or rustic ones, like #6 or #9, are you turning a tenon or mortise in the bottom then chucking to finish? Do you hollow them to a thinner wall or just keep a consistent diameter hollow to the bottom?
Yours look awesome, and yet every time i try to leave some natural edge it looks like i just didn't finish!! I think that may mostly be a perception on my part--that i just need to overcome!!
Thanks,
earl

bmac

A couple more "Weed Pots" for SWAT and a rice bowl for the Atlantic Shore Woodturners June challenge. The weed pots are Cherry and Oak, the rice bowl is Pecan.

Bobby
Louisiana

Attachments

• Rice Bowl.jpg
    Rice Bowl.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 93
  • Weed Pot14.jpg
    Weed Pot14.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 88
  • Weed Pot13.jpg
    Weed Pot13.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 180
  • Rice Bowl2.jpg
    Rice Bowl2.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 92

bmac

Three more "Weed Pots" ready for SWAT, woods include Ash, Spalted Oak and Oak. Finish is sprayed lacquer.

Attachments

• Weed Pot15.jpg
    Weed Pot15.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 83
  • Weed Pot16.jpg
    Weed Pot16.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 93
  • Weed Pot17.jpg
    Weed Pot17.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 84

bmac

A few more weed pots to add to the collection. Woods include Ash, Cherry, Oak and Cypress. Two of them have the Modern Masters metal effects coating on them, rust and copper patina.

Bobby
Louisiana

Attachments

• weed pots.jpg
    weed pots.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 74
  • weed pots2.jpg
    weed pots2.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 78
  • weed pots3.jpg
    weed pots3.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 78