Website pricing preferences

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

What is your preferred method of pricing on a website?

• I want to see the single unit price.

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • There is no need for a discount schedule, just show one price.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I want to see the discount schedule and understand what products are included.

Votes: 22 71.0%
  • Show me the best pricing I can achieve, I'll figure out how to get that price.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • A different opinion, explained in the thread

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
When we started ExoticBlanks, we had a debate.

We allow our customers to combine the quantities of pen kits among the manufacturers we represent, so it is easier to reach quantity discounts. So, years ago, we said, "pricing as low as_____" (and show the 100+ price).

Of course, most orders were for 5 or ten pens and they received a higher price. So, we decided this seemed misleading and went back to showing the single unit price. (Really most orders don't pay this price, because our first discount is as low as 2 kits, depending on the product)

Well now we are revisiting this question, since we see the "Low as" being used by some as the advertised price.

What do you think? When you shop do you pay attention to the "small print" or do you just take the lowest price you see (even if it is NOT the price you will pay)?

Please comment, the survey will give us some idea of numbers, but we truly are perplexed as to the best web pricing strategy.

Thanks!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

Can you show a price range? For example $9.25 - $11.00 where the lowest price is the best quantity discount and the highest is the single item?

Rolandranch

I personally like to see the price for purchasing 1 kit. I also like to see the quantity discount table like you have on your site. I like the way your website is set up compared to other sites like Berea.

I don't like to see the "as low as" price displayed on items. For example, I'm disappointed when I click on an item listed as $10 and find out that I have to buy 50 of those kits to get that price when the price for purchasing 1 is $20.

Edit: A price range would be nice too if that's possible.

Last edited:

MRDucks2

Price range does make sense. However, I chose you guys for my regular orders based on picking a list of items I was interested in that were available from multiple vendors. I then created a basket of like items from 3 or 4 contenders, including shipping and compared the result. Exotic Blanks won. Every few months I do a similar exercise and you still hold the line.

I live fairly close to an online competitor that has a broad selection of blanks. For small quantities they are my better choice. For more expensive items I still shop the price.

But, for what I consider a true order of mixed kits in any quantity, I default to you as this is the niche you excel at.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
When I place an order I usually know what products I want and how many. If there is a significant price break at one more than I want, I may up the quantity by one, but usually not. I do like to see the discount schedule but typically has no influence on what I order. Keep it simple.

greenacres2

I'm not a big buyer, but as I've looked around the current Exotic setup is most palatable to me. I don't understand my own psyche well enough to know why. Prices are always very good, the service is always better, and the Peanut M & M's are the best.

I do like seeing the table below the thumbnails--on some sites I'd have to click on the hardware, then click a drop-down box to find out the range I might be in. The EB site also does a good job of noting what can be included for discounts--stated clearly. I like that too.

I've reached the point where I don't really feel the need to price competitively--though I do sometimes take a look around. Got really lost at Berea's site last week...but i'm pretty simple minded!!
earl

dogcatcher

I rarely buy in lots of less than 6 or 12, I like to keep a decent inventory of the pen kits that I make. Buying in larger lots usually save money on the kit price and I save on shipping because I only order about 2 times a year.

If there was no incentive to buy in bulk to save on the kit prices, I don't know how I would order, it has always been an incentive from all of the suppliers.

Since I am pretty well retired even from my hobbies, I could easily switch to cheaper kits or other dealers. For that matter, I probably have enough kits and blanks to keep me busy until they throw dirt on top of me.

Noot17

I also prefer how the site is setup now. Sites that show the lowest possible price, then when you click you realize that's at the highest bulk purchase, is not something I appreciate.

I like seeing the single unit price, with the discount schedule beneath it. It helps me decide what kinds of kits I want to mix together, and also frequently gets me to purchase one or two extra because I'm going to save a few dollars (which ultimately costs me more since I'm buying more, but we all win in the end!). Knowing how much the discounts are without needing to click in to every listing is nice as well.

Keep up the great work!

P.S. I like the new product images in the sidebar filter - they're a bit small to pick out detail, but it's still a nice touch.

I like the current setup, with the discount schedule. I often buy more than I came for in order to get the discount. It also gets me to try a different pen kit or blank if it qualifies to be in the discount group. You folks sure know how to sell items without trickery. Keep up the good work, and thanks for bringing new suppliers / artists to our attention.

TonyL

I think I voted correctly, but if I didn't, I prefer the way you presently have it configured. Nice of you to ask.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Please keep up the comments!!

The poll is very slow--only 17 answers so far. We are in the midst of evaluating a lot of web options, so your feedback will have a bearing on our future decisions!!

gr8macbeth

Hi Ed,

I just placed my first order with Exotic Blanks. I liked the price range listed. However it was a nightmare trying to figure out if I maxed out the discount or even if the discount was applied. I looked at my receipt after I paid and I think I got the discounts, but they aren't listed anywhere to show they were. I will be completely honest, the only reason I didn't cancel my order when I couldn't figure it out, is because of the way everyone here talks about you. I am an amateur pen turner, and dropping $300 is a big deal especially when I can't figure out if I am getting the price promised. I am certain I will be happy with my order, and only mention my experience so you can get the perspective of a new customer. The information may have been there, and I just didn't find it either.

Respectfully Joe Macbeth

Woodchipper

I just looked at the website and clicked on a couple of kits. I do like the setup as it exists. BTW, Ed, I think you're to be commended to conduct the poll and ask what your customers want or look for on the website.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
THANK YOU Joe!!!!

Your order is greatly appreciated and your comment that you trust me made me go back and check the pricing. It is correct and confusing. Let me try to explain without telling the world WHAT you ordered!!!

1) The products fell into two categories, "penkits" and "slim". The software correctly identified each product and added the quantity to achieve the appropriate discount for that product.
2) You often added "upgrade" refills. This adds $1.50 for a Parker or .89 for a cross refill and can really make the pricing more confusing (again, I did check yours by line item, it is correct).

As I said, I am VERY familiar with the software and could certainly understand how you were confused. We don't know of a better way, our current software is not capable of telling you "you saved $___ on this line item" (we wish, but not available).

By way of comparison, you did order items from Berea, PSI and CSUSA and they all aggregated for discount--AND you paid only one freight charge (which had to be UPS because you ordered "Hazardous Material" that the US Postal System will not carry, namely a small bottle of CA Accelerator). Since I have already checked the pricing, I will include with your order a spreadsheet that shows each item and, hopefully, gives you a better grasp on how much of a discount you achieved!!

THANKS again for your trust---I consider that a great honor and a huge responsibility!

Ed

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I just looked at the website and clicked on a couple of kits. I do like the setup as it exists. BTW, Ed, I think you're to be commended to conduct the poll and ask what your customers want or look for on the website.

We understand and appreciate every day the fact that without our customers, we are pretty useless!! We want shopping at Exotics to be FUN, but we also want to make sure our competition has not found a way you prefer!!!:eek::eek::eek: We can change!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

gr8macbeth

Thanks Ed! That is definitely going above and beyond! It makes me really happy that you took the time to do it. You will have a return customer in me. .

Top Bottom