Web Sites

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I did not know where to ask this question so decided to put it here. Could be a question for management and also members can voice their opinions too. Was thinking the other day and I know that leads to trouble but anyway, was wondering how many members here have a web site or site where they sell their pens on another platform? Was wondering if we could get a forum set up in the Vendor section of the site with members listed web sites and other platforms. Just a list I am thinking. Now I do not have any such site but I do know I do not show everything I make here. It maybe nice to follow a member and maybe check out their web site and see what else they are doing. Any thoughts from management on this or from members is greatly appreciated. Thinking out loud.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Amihai

Hello,
I've a website at the address:

www.fishmanspens.com

Website takes a lot to build yourself, and you will likely still need some professional to sharpen it a little. Or you can pay someone to build it for you from start to finish but that will cost a lot.

I built mine myself, using WordPress + Elementor. Still need to figure out several things to make it truly to my like.

Website requires some maintenance and keep up costs, but I think it is definitely worth it and truly shows your unique work, unlike selling on Etsy and such crowded platforms

My website .

derekdd

We use Squarespace and have a site for our goods including pens.

So far, so good. Not much work on our end as we used their templates. You can add on services and features if you like but ours is pretty bare bones which is good enough at this point. I have a FT and 2 PT jobs, I only want to be so busy with pens and woodworking.

https://bigdogwoodcrafts.squarespace.com/

wood-of-1kind

I set up a free website but do not use it as a selling platform for my products & services. It is very basic but
it does convey my contact information as well it allows for a few basic pictures. Not your typical website for
sales penetration but it has helped me get leads and inquiries.

woodwzrd

My wife and I have a combined business. I do pens as a lucrative hobby and she creates fulltime out of a studio in our home. We do art and craft fairs usually twice a month May through December.

I started with Squarespace as a way to keep track of inventory and do point of purchase sales but wasn't really happy with their website format options so I created a stand alone website through WordPress and hosted it through Green Geeks. We still use Square as a shopping cart that is linked through our website and it works for now. I too work a full time job and essentially do all of the behind the scenes work for our business so my wife can focus her time in the studio but eventually I would rather revise our stand alone site to include the shopping cart but that will have to wait for some down time in the off season.

Our goal is to promote and drive customers to our website for year round shopping so we can cut back on shows but for a lot of our customer we are finding that being able to touch and feel and see first hand is preferred.

Hartwell85

We use Squarespace and have a site for our goods including pens.

So far, so good. Not much work on our end as we used their templates. You can add on services and features if you like but ours is pretty bare bones which is good enough at this point. I have a FT and 2 PT jobs, I only want to be so busy with pens and woodworking.

https://bigdogwoodcrafts.squarespace.com/
What version of Squarespace do you use? I know they rolled out fluid engine and thought about switching to that page editor.

jttheclockman

This is actually working out quite well. Thank you all for participating. I love what I am seeing and the work is spectacular. It gives myself and other members a chance to see a glimpse of what you all actually do. Have to say some of these sites are well set up and there is time involved there for sure. Please keep them coming.

derekdd

What version of Squarespace do you use? I know they rolled out fluid engine and thought about switching to that page editor.
Not sure?

My wife and I picked it out last year and went with the pretty minimal option.

We run our transactions through either Paypal or Square.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
We've had this resource category for some time. Anyone can upload a resource and it will appear as soon as approved by a moderator.

Perhaps we can make this more visible, such as a more prominent link. I do understand it take a little digging to discover it.

Alternatively, we could create a forum for personal website owners to post their links and a little description of their business, etc.

jttheclockman

We've had this resource category for some time. Anyone can upload a resource and it will appear as soon as approved by a moderator.

Perhaps we can make this more visible, such as a more prominent link. I do understand it take a little digging to discover it.

Alternatively, we could create a forum for personal website owners to post their links and a little description of their business, etc.
I did not know this. Yes if we could make it more visible as easily accessed it may allow more members to add to it. I like what is happening now with the start of this thread and hopefully we can get more people to jump in. Thanks Jeff. Maybe give it some thought how to do this. I think it could expand the family value getting to further know a little more about the members. May help other members get in on the idea of setting up a web site. Thanks for all you do to make this the #1 pen turning forum on the net.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Russ already added his: :)

I'll put a link on the front page.

Wayne

IAP Library Manager
Staff member
You can add a link to your site in your signature file.

Omit the word Code: and Just add the 2 lines as below in your signature file. Change your name and the web link.

Code:
[SIZE=4]Betty Lou Smith[/SIZE]

[URL='https://www.mywebsite.com/'][SIZE=4]This is my Online Store – Pen Blanks and More[/SIZE][/URL]

I ran my own website for a number of years... results were so/so... after a while it got to be more expense than I wanted to support, so shut it down... then went to ETSY for a time, have also shut that down as it required maintaining 2 or 3 inventories as I show at a local farmers market every weekend during the summer from May to December, also had a booth at a local museum market place... just want to slow down a little... may give up the craft show and go back up on ETSY... not sure which way to go just yet.
May have to look into Squarespace and see how that might work .

jttheclockman

Not sure we are talking the same things here. I just looked at the link you have posted on Home page Jeff and all I see with those is a bunch of videos by whoever posted which is not many over 5 years. I was looking for a forum where people sell their items so basically personal websites. The people who replied here got the idea and started. I am hoping others would add to it also. I know Wayne mentioned about adding to your signature but I was looking for a separate forum with list of names and their sites.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure we are talking the same things here. I just looked at the link you have posted on Home page Jeff and all I see with those is a bunch of videos by whoever posted which is not many over 5 years. I was looking for a forum where people sell their items so basically personal websites. The people who replied here got the idea and started. I am hoping others would add to it also. I know Wayne mentioned about adding to your signature but I was looking for a separate forum with list of names and their sites.

I'm not sure we put a lot of thought into that category when it was created in 2019. I recall we just wanted a place to put links to sites maintained by members regardless of whether they were selling or just showing. I understand there are some video collections in there. So you are looking exclusively for "member sites with pens for sale"? Do you want just personally maintained websites or Etsy, eBay, etc., as well?

I'll discuss with @Wayne and see what makes sense.

jttheclockman

I'm not sure we put a lot of thought into that category when it was created in 2019. I recall we just wanted a place to put links to sites maintained by members regardless of whether they were selling or just showing. I understand there are some video collections in there. So you are looking exclusively for "member sites with pens for sale"? Do you want just personally maintained websites or Etsy, eBay, etc., as well?

I'll discuss with @Wayne and see what makes sense.
I would like to see personal websites where they sell things like pens, bottle, stoppers bowls, and other items. I guess the main objective is to get to see what our members are doing and making and selling. I do not want to see videos. If you want you can make that a whole other forum. I have no interest in that. They are not selling those. Platforms of any kind work. If they sell on ebay, FB market place, etsy. or any other platform. and if the person can give a little background such as they are doing here now. Maybe a little note of what platform they built the websites around. My thought is we see names showing pens and maybe yes they have a link in their signature but probably not. I know myself many times I would like to see more work from that person and wonder do they do other things. I guess what I am after is to get some other talk going on this site. It is getting a little sterile. Needs more personality. If I am way off base here then I will stand down and move on. Or maybe there are other thoughts and ideas in this area to expand the thinking.

Wayne

IAP Library Manager
Staff member
We had addressed this subject in the past with "Links - Members Web Sites" in the library menu, we thought.
Any links for new resources were created and added to the library menu by the library Manager.

But, after this suggestion and careful consideration, we have decided to add an additional tag to the Library Menu.
Below you'll see the Newly added tag "Links – Member Web Sites" in the library menu.

Now members can add their web sites without the library manager modifying the library menu.

We believe this is the best solution to locate and maintain them as "Links – Member Sites".

We renamed the original "Links – Member Pen Sites" to "Links – Member Instructional Sites".
This will include YouTube and other information controlled by the library manager.

mem links.png

I strongly suggest that anyone who currently has a link to their web site in their signature, add it to this new resource.

jttheclockman

Thank you Wayne. I do hope members here take advantage of this and add their web sites to the list. Hey if you make things, feel proud and show them off. Share with others.

Top Bottom