We need a new Forum Catagory

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

reddwil

....... called ALL THE CRAP THAT HAPPENS AS WE GET OLDER.

I'm only 46 and falling apart at the seams. Spent the entire day at the doctors having test run, the end result was a gall bladder attack. What the heck is that. My stomach is swollen as big as a Macy's day parade balloon. Had to wear sweat pants in public, which was ok except they were full of holes from CA glue.( don't need to explain that one). And the best thing, while I was having an ultra sound I apologized to the tech for her having a hard time reaching around my big belly. She said it was fine, she has women all the time who had twins that were as big as me. &$(%*&^*).

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I too will be 46 in August and feel your pain! It all starts to fall apart at 40, no matter what you think when you are 35! It won't happen to me, says the 35 year old. Just wait!

tbroye

Don't beleive them when they tell you 70 is the new 50 or 60, 70 is 70 and it hurt to sleep and you have pill for everything it seems like. I think a new forum on aging would be great but it might not pass PC. Now where is the mouse so I can click on Submit, found it, it was under my denture, better put that in cup so I can find in the morning.

Longfellow

Quit going to doctors!!!

My Dad always said. " When you go to a doctor you'll have something wrong with you." The only time he went was when he had an accident the required lots of stitches. He lived to be 90 with only a few scars.

I am 80 and avoid doctors like the plaque. They never answer your question anyway. If you ask them what day today is, the will answer, "yesterday was Tuesday, and tomorrow is Thursday". but will never tell you today is Wednesday. They will invent ailments just so you feel you are getting your moneys worth.

WOW ya'll are such a happy ray of sunshine.... as I see my 46th comin' up in a week...
I can only say this... Live not to leave a beautiful corpse, go in slidin' sideways with half bag of Oreo's and grinnin' ear to ear as you say What a awesome ride that was...:biggrin:

plantman

:yawn: It's 4 AM and I am sitting at the PC because I have an EEG test at 8 AM. Had to stay awake until midnight, go to sleep, and than get back up at 4 AM and stay awake after that. In the last month I think I have had every test there is to be had, trying to find out why my left leg goes numb and I fall over. Only happens once a month or so, but gets to be a real pain in the butt. I will be 70 next month, and enjoy the people and things around me a little more than I did at a younger age. When you look around at some other people's problems, it makes you thankful for what you have !!! Live, Love, and be Happy. Jim S

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Don't beleive them when they tell you 70 is the new 50 or 60, 70 is 70 and it hurt to sleep and you have pill for everything it seems like. I think a new forum on aging would be great but it might not pass PC. Now where is the mouse so I can click on Submit, found it, it was under my denture, better put that in cup so I can find in the morning.
Make sure it's the denture you put in the cup and not the mouse. :biggrin:

stonepecker

40?.....46? Hell, you are all babies. Wait till you are looking 60 in the eye and realize that you have nothing to show for it.

I also know that the "best things in life are not things".

Enjoy the ride.........you never know when it will end.

babyblues

I feel your pain, Red. Not the part about being 46, but the gall bladder attack. :D I''ll bet you're passing gall stones. Extremely painful. If you've never experienced it, you have no idea. It usually feels like someone stabbed you up under the ribs with a knife and left it there for five hours or so. Not fun, brother.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
40 - 46 Falling apart??? I have said for a long time we're turning into a nation of Wimps and whiners. Yes, getting old (40 is barely middle aged) carries with it some atributes that remind us that it's happening but folks, that's life. Quit complaining and get on with it.

alphageek

Former Moderator
40 - 46 Falling apart??? I have said for a long time we're turning into a nation of Wimps and whiners. Yes, getting old (40 is barely middle aged) carries with it some atributes that remind us that it's happening but folks, that's life. Quit complaining and get on with it.

I fall into that range - I wouldn't classify it as falling apart. I think its just the time frame that lets us know our bodies aren't going to be as forgiving as they used to be.

I have co-workers that recently hit 30 and I laugh when they say mid-life. As I approach mid-40 I tell them that around the 40 year old mark is when you really FEEL like mid-life physically instead of just mentally.

mhbeauford

It gets worse! Gall bladder, been there, Appendix, there too, Bowel resection also, shoulder, numerous heart caths, pace maker. Boy growing older is not for the faint hearted. It least I'm still active, work in my shop nearly everyday and thank God for a good life everyday. Each morning I look in the mirror and smile, if I see a smile back, it's going to be a good day!

I guess at 71 I'm an exception... I can still lie about my age and make people believe I'm only in my 50's, my hair is still red, I still have a lot of my teeth, I feel pretty good most days, though I slow down a little sooner than I used to, the floor is getting too far down for things that fall down there... just leave them there, I can fall asleep at the drop of a hat, just need to get still, no serious back problems, unless I sleep in my lounge chair... it kills my back, blood pressure and cholesterol is under control, most of the men in my family lived into and beyond their 80's... one of my aunts just turned 95 and still going strong... up until about 3 years ago still lived alone on an acre plot and mowed her own lawn, her youngest sister is just 80 and still has her lake house and mows about 1/2 an acre lot, I'm planning to be around to 109... just to be a nuisance to my son... life begins when we retire and have more time for the fun things.

jcm71

Although genetics plays a part, I'm a firm believer that the more active you are, the healthier and happier you are going to be. I'm 63, and with the exception of my eyes, every "ailment" I have I attribute to poor choices I have made along the way. Knees-my fault, cholesterol-my fault; bathroom habits-my fault; carpal tunnel syndrome-my fault, and the list goes on. If you are not already, get active and get over it.

Remember-it is better to be seen than viewed. :biggrin:

nativewooder

You can have a totally negative outlook on everything, or you can believe that every new day is a Blessing. I may not be as healthy as I once was, but I appreciate every breath of good clean air I breathe, I see beautiful shades of color in every leaf in every tree and every piece of wood, I still hear the amazingly wonderful sounds of little children at play, of teens playing the sport of the season and trying to be respectful to their elders and all others. I see all of shades of blue in the ocean and its' waves and the ocean has shown me more power than I could imagine. I let God decide on the judgements as necessary because He is much more capable than I am. But I am grateful to be here among all of you! Thanks!

Kenny Durrant

Hey Redd I know you won't want to hear this but here goes. I'm glad you posted this because it lets me know I'm not the only one falling apart at the seams. I also know you don't want to hear it's not going to get any better the older you get. The good news is you can always be worse off than you already are so don't be too hard on yourself. In the mean time I hope all goes welll and you get your gall bladder taken care of.

TLTHW

Studies have shown that the body does not lose it's ability to develop strength, or muscle mass with age. The amount you can gain decreases but activity always has health benefits.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Studies have shown that the body does not lose it's ability to develop strength, or muscle mass with age. The amount you can gain decreases but activity always has health benefits.
Yep - swimming and aquatics are less stressful on the joints, but walking, jogging, bike riding, etc are all good. I was just under 40 when I started to make sure I was fit I've stayed fit for most of the last 35 years - I was still over weight for most of those years but I could move around well enough to get out of my own way without panting or doubling over with pain. Personally I would advise everyone regardless of age - if you are physically able, stay fit and you'll probably enjoy life a whole lot more.

monark88

Yep - swimming and aquatics are less stressful on the joints, but walking, jogging, bike riding, etc are all good. I was just under 40 when I started to make sure I was fit I've stayed fit for most of the last 35 years - I was still over weight for most of those years but I could move around well enough to get out of my own way without panting or doubling over with pain. Personally I would advise everyone regardless of age - if you are physically able, stay fit and you'll probably enjoy life a whole lot more.

That pretty much describes me as well.

I'm 70 years old and I played a little sandlot baseball up until 2 years ago when I injured my knees. No more playing ball, but everything was going fine, I was able to still make a few pens and walk with braces, until I reinjured both knees again last May when helping coach little league ball. Since I have not been able to walk much, lots of pain, and unable to stand to do pens(or sit).

I'm not complaining, and I hope this doesn't come across as such, I am just saying that no matter what, one has to remain active to some degree. I am still confident that one day I will be able to walk for some distance. No more running or playing ball, but I know I will be able to step up to the lathe and do something there. I am less than excited when people say, "you have to do something". Yeah, like I didn't know that.

In my way I am trying to say, if you are having some problems in your mid 40's, now is the time to get outside and just walk down the street and back, if nothing else.

Russ

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
:yawn: It's 4 AM and I am sitting at the PC because I have an EEG test at 8 AM. Had to stay awake until midnight, go to sleep, and than get back up at 4 AM and stay awake after that. In the last month I think I have had every test there is to be had, trying to find out why my left leg goes numb and I fall over. Only happens once a month or so, but gets to be a real pain in the butt. I will be 70 next month, and enjoy the people and things around me a little more than I did at a younger age. When you look around at some other people's problems, it makes you thankful for what you have !!! Live, Love, and be Happy. Jim S

Jim: If falling down is a pain in the butt, try landing differently! My left leg is numb all the time get up till go to bed. Lower vertebrae! I was 70 in November, if I remember correctly! :)

2 cents worth

Gentlemen,

I agree, 40 is the age I began to fall apart, still holdin on at 65+. Had the GB crap, the hernia 20 some years later. Quad coronary bypass, and even worse than that was the fem-pop (short name) bypass, gut to knee on left leg. Those 80 shiny staples were nasty. But, I have not lost the leg.

Choices as Burlman said are extactly right. So much of it is choices. I'm currently in a lifestyle modification program and have experienced more success than I deserve. Have a ways to go, but certainly showed myself that it can be done. Still hate what little exercise I get. It's worse than work.

Charlie

Hubert H

Sorry to be a wet blanket on all the ..... I'm 66 and can't complain - few pains but still enjoying life. Hope all of you have a better day tomorrow.

OLDMAN5050

Passed Away May 15, 2019
In Memoriam
Wait a few years........ it does not get any better... Went to the audiologist last week 80% loss of hearing due nerve damage.. bottom line is the hearing aides I need are $5,800 for both ears.. I"ll just have to go on saying huh to everybody and it is just as aggravating for me as it is to the ones who I have to ask again what they said. Sad part is Insurance don't pay for hearing aides.. Go figure? Grandmother used to say Getting old ain't nothing but another pain and pill a day

Last edited:

plantman

You all have heard the old saying " youth is wasted on the young " If I only knew than what I know now !! Of course I probably wouldn't have lived this long !! Jim S

Coysquibbly

I hope that it's the dentures your putting in the cup, not the mouse:biggrin:

Kevin

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
You all have heard the old saying " youth is wasted on the young " If I only knew than what I know now !! Of course I probably wouldn't have lived this long !! Jim S
Problem is - you probably thought you knew more then than you know now, so you wouldn't have believed that what you know now was worth knowing.

Note to our then/than guy ---- the usage is correct...

Top Bottom