Wax - Do you use it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EricRN

I've been hitting my pens with a coat of Renaissance Wax as the final step. I put 1-4 thin coats of it over everything--the blanks, the fittings. I like how it keeps the smudge marks and fingerprints to a minimum. I'd assumed this was OK. Seems like I read a bunch of folks who use it and the stuff is advertised as having been developed by the British Museum. If it's good enough for the Rosetta Stone, it's got to be good enough for my pens, right?

But I came across a couple articles and blogs that strongly recommend against it, at least for celluloid, cellulose acetate, and ebonite. The thinking is that those materials naturally release gases that contribute to degradation, and if you put a coat of wax over it, the wax holds the gases in and speeds up the degradation of the material. See here and here.

Here's my question--how much of an impact does it really have on degradation? Does it matter if the material is really old? (I use mostly vintage acetate. My thinking is most of the gas has leached out by now.)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Not sure where the article originated and I did not follow it but I would heed the warning and stay away from it if that be the case. I always use a polish as the last step on all my pens and if they disintegrate I will be long dead when they do.:)

TonyL

I use Rejex (contains no abrasive) on non-porous surfaces. It wears off after a few weeks if regularly handled, but can be reapplied. I have to warn my customers to be careful handling the pens because the finish is so friction-less. Takes a very, very think single, let it dry for 15 minutes and then use cotton cloth to remove...comes right off.

I used to detail cars as a hobby and I really like this....I had it left over and tried it on my pens.

Folks use all different brands with beautiful results I had this and liked. I also didn't want anything with an abrasive.

acmaclaren

Angi the Maker
I use car wax that I purchased from my local parts store. I give my pens away as gifts. I've used it plastics only. So far there haven't been any issues.

turncrazy43

I use Doctors Wood Shop Micro Crystalin wax on wood blanks that will not have CA finish and it works great. On acrylics I use Mcguires Plastex polish and that works well for me as well.
Turncrazy43

dogcatcher

Kiwi neutral shoe polish works great. Wipe on, let dry, then buff with a soft cloth. But this is only after a good finish is applied and allowed to cure. I also use a homemade microcrystalline bar wax on a buffing system.

Top Bottom