Warranty on Sales

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

beck3906

I am trying to determine what I should set as a warranty on items I sell. I recognize that some vendors warranty their kits for life, but I'm not sure I should warranty the pen or any item for life.

I've had people return items to me that were obviously mishandled and then expected me to make good on the item. For example, one pen was run through the washing machine and dryer. The ink got on clothes and also stained the wood body of the pen. I was able to get the ink off the metal components with a little work. The customer expected me to repair the wood portions of the pen at no cost.

Another customer returned a Classic American style pen they claimed could not be opened. In looking at the pen, it appeared the user had tried to use pliers to open the pen as there were serrated marks around the body. The customer accused me of not providing adequate usage instructions which caused the user to try the pliers.

I don't like the idea that a buyer can come back to me any number of times to expect me to replace a pen if I offer a lifetime warranty. If I sell a higher end kit in the $30-50 range, I could loose my profits over time by replacing the pen. Even a lower end pen in the $6-10 kit range could become unprofitable if the customer returns it 3-4 times claiming the finish has not held up to their liking.

So, what's reasonable? I will stand behind what I make, but I'm thinking a warranty on a pen should be for a year. Would the customer need to provide proof they bought it from me? What would be a return policy for items returned just after sale? For example return within 30 days with no questions asked as long as the item is in the original sales condition. I ask this as it is getting harder for me to determine which pens I made as more people enter the penmaking hobby/business.

What if the item had been personalized? Full return value?

What about for things like bowls that may have been dropped or show signs of damage? Key rings? 90 day warranty as they will be expected to be damaged while carrying them in a pocket or purse?

I would enjoy hearing your thoughts.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fiferb

I guarantee my workmanship. If the pen is run through the washer, I'd clean it for the customer but wouldn't replace it. If the plating wears off, depending on how long they've had it, I'll offer to replace it at cost, if the pen can be disassembled. If the customer abuses it, no way. Of course, one caveat to this is the customer themselves. If they are a customer that buys frequently, I may replace or repair for free.

One more bit of advice, if you're selling pens for $10 or less, you're already working for less than minimum wage if not losing money altogether.

Just my opinion and you only get what you pay for.

randyrls

I am trying to determine what I should set as a warranty on items I sell. I recognize that some vendors warranty their kits for life, but I'm not sure I should warranty the pen or any item for life.

Rick; I sell only direct person-to-person, and I offer free refills if the pen is returned to me. I can see how the finish is holding up, and evaluate any wear on the metal finish. I have even CA refinished some of my early pens because the friction polish I used at the time didn't hold up very well. While I am replacing the in-fill, I let the person browse my pen boxes. I've sold many additional pens this way. Because I sell direct, I show the person how to expose the point, and how to disassemble for refill.

Each pen I sell has three cards with it.
1. My contact card.
2. A card telling about the blank material and care.
3. A card telling about the pen itself. How to extend the point, and how to refill.

I have thought of creating some short flash videos showing how to work the pen and how to change the infill. This might be a good project for the IAP??? Only one video on each pen model.

Rifleman1776

I believe workmanship should be guaranteed. Personally, I use Tn gold and Rhodium Platinum for 95% of my pens so plating problems simply won't happen.
An obviously mishandled pen presents other problems. Mainly public relations. No matter how you explain it was the customers fault, they will bad mouth you to others. I don't think there is a pat answer for this, handle diplomatically on a case by case basis.
Consider that Sears-Roebuck and Wal-Mart built their reputations on 'satisfaction guaranteed'. They take back anything, almost without question. (qualifier, Sears ain't what it used to be) But, you aren't Sears or Wal-Mart.
If a mechanism fails, I think I would repair it. Kits by themselves don't cost that much. Good will might repay in multiples.

scotian12

The only warrenty I follow is "The Golden Rule". A complaint is an opportunity to provide exceptional service for your customer and the future customers he will tell. If you are selling a lot of pens then the overall loss of the cost ( minus your labour) is not going to make a difference in your overall well being. On the other hand if you provide exceptional service the transaction will be positively remembered for a long time. I will replace/refund any pen for the customer in a prompt manner and with a smile.

rjwolfe3

I offer a 30 day return if they don't like the pen and a 2 year warranty on defects. I have taken care of customers who have abused their pens but only because they have bought many from me. There is no easy answer. I do track exactly who I sell my pens to so that I know if the pen coming back is mine.

jkeithrussell

If I sell a higher end kit in the $30-50 range, I could loose my profits over time by replacing the pen. Even a lower end pen in the $6-10 kit range could become unprofitable if the customer returns it 3-4 times claiming the finish has not held up to their liking.

I don't know what you are selling as a "high end kit" in the $30-50 range, or what you could be selling for $6-10. For $6-10, you've already given the pen away once, so I wouldn't recommend that you have a warranty. I'm curious as to what you consider a "high end kit."

jkeithrussell

Consider that Sears-Roebuck and Wal-Mart built their reputations on 'satisfaction guaranteed'. They take back anything, almost without question. (qualifier, Sears ain't what it used to be) But, you aren't Sears or Wal-Mart.

Your memory goes way back. Sears hasn't been worth a dang in the customer service department, in my experience, in at least the past 15 years.

THarvey

I offer a 30 day return if they don't like the pen and a 2 year warranty on defects. I have taken care of customers who have abused their pens but only because they have bought many from me. There is no easy answer. I do track exactly who I sell my pens to so that I know if the pen coming back is mine.

This is very similar to what I do, except I only go 1 year. I will always warranty my workmanship. Beyond my stated warranty, I will take the attitude of the customer into consideration.

I had one customer that dropped his pen at work. The pen was covered in oil, so he used some cleaning solution to try and remove the oil. What ever he used (I think MEK) trashed the finish. He brought the pen to me saying: "I messed this up. If you can fix it, tell me how much I owe you." I refinished the pen and replaced the dinked up hardware at no charge. He has bought many pens from me since.

The attitude of the customer has a lot of bearing on the goodwill I am willing to extend.

beck3906

Sorry for the confusion about the prices I list. My reference was to a kit that my cost $30-50 and be included in a $200-400 pen. The $6-10 kit would be included in a $30-90 pen.

While I do sell some pens during "close-out" for under $20, most are in the $30-90 range.

CHEF

I don't sell my pens as the cost of making them out ways the selling price over in my neck of the woods( east Scotland) been along to see some shop vendors for a sale or return but they were already selling similar pens at well below cost ( thinking semi produced-production line) so I think that It will be just a hobby for me , my family and friends love it as they get the pic of what I do.
------------------------------Brian--------------------------

I havent sold a pen without a TN/ platinum or better finish in over 400 pens, so I dont get returns for defect. I have had maybe 6 pens returned for finish issues in all 600+ pens I have made. A couple were at my request after seeing the pen in use with no complaint from the user. I, too take the attitude of the owner when determining weather to charge or not though , thank goodness, I havent had to charge yet.

bitshird

First thing, Most of the 30 to 50 dollar and up kits come with a factory/distributor lifetime warranty, so exactly where are you going to loose money there, Top line pens should get a lifetime warranty. the cheaper kits 2 years but any pen I charge over 100.00 for I guarantee fully except for Ink supply, and abused pens I repair but charge for it.
I give my customers a certificate with the common name for the wood the scientific name and care and feeding instructions outlining what will void my responsibility for the pen.

mick

Bottom line in our business, where a very large percentage of our adverstising is word of mouth, is the customer is always right! I stand behind all my workmanship and indirectly behind my suppliers since they warranty their higher end kits. If a customer brings a pen back to me I try my best to make them happy and keep them coming back. I had one lady who had bought a teachers pen from my contact me last Christmas wanting a half dozen pens for gifts, a couple higher end. She mentioned that she really liked her pen....but had dropped it and ran over it, trashing it. I offered to try and fix it but she seemed to think it was beyond repair.She mentioned that as soon as the holidays were over she would be ordering another. when I mailed her order included in it was a brand new teachers pen just like she had destoryed with one exception, somehow her name got engraved on it!
Yes this cost me a little bit....but since I replaced her pen she has ordered at my last count 9 more pens and I know of at least three people she has referred to me which have bought pens.
We go back to that bottom line...and add this, your reputation. Every good or positive thing you can do grows your business....but ONE unpleasent or bad experience with a customer and you're trashed everytime them see or think about a pen.
Warranty your work....even if it's plain that the customer was at fault or a couple of years have passed...it pays in the long run!

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
One of the best satisfactions I get from the craft is to see people using my pens. When I first started selling and giving away pens, I noticed some weren't using them. They said they were afraid they would lose them or damage them. Ever since I have an unconditional guarantee against anything - loss, fire, theft, etc. In about 4 years I have only replaced 2 due to loss and gladly did so. Both were gifts originally and now they take better care of them.

OKLAHOMAN

I haven't gone as far as Bruce but I will repair or replace any pen sold by me no mater what the circumstance excecpt loss. I've repaired 2 pens that other turners made at no charge, it's just good customer relations.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
"Exceed expectations" has always been a "rule" in selling.

These days, people EXPECT a hassle-over anything!!!

So, if you try to exceed their very LOW expectations, you can be a HERO!!

My return policy is simple - I will replace a broken or worn pen. (ONCE) After that, I do what I think is right and what I would like someone to do for me. In a couple thousand pens, I don't recall ever having to replace a pen twice. In fact, I believe I have replaced fewer than five, in 15 years.

Part of the equation is to MAKE the pen right in the first place.

PaulD

I sell in the $40 to $100 range and do not offer any upfront warranty. I have on two occassions replaced pens due to cracking. In both cases I wasn't asked to as the pens still worked, I just wanted to since I knew the buyer and wanted them to be thrilled with the pens I made them. Interestingly, in both cases the people kept the old pen too as an extra as they still liked them even though I wasn't happy with them.

ngeb528

"Exceed expectations" has always been a "rule" in selling.

These days, people EXPECT a hassle-over anything!!!

So, if you try to exceed their very LOW expectations, you can be a HERO!!

You definitely live that rule, by everything I've seen on this site.

My return policy is simple - I will replace a broken or worn pen. (ONCE) After that, I do what I think is right and what I would like someone to do for me. In a couple thousand pens, I don't recall ever having to replace a pen twice. In fact, I believe I have replaced fewer than five, in 15 years.

You make pens?:tongue::wink::biggrin:
quote]

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
A couple of years ago I made a cartridge pen and pencil set at the request of a friend to give to his stepdad. I have replaced the pencil mechanism three times and repaired the pen once. The customer came by today for a repair and spent $100.00 on new pens while he was here.
While I no longer make the pencils for obvious reasons, the cost of free repair is minor compared to the sales I have gotten from this one customer. I am ordering a couple of more pencil kits today since I know he will be back at some point. :eek:) Also keep in mind, for me this is not a business, it's a hobby. You never lose when you take care of customers.

Rochester

Maybe I've just been lucky, but of the 1000 pens that I have sold in the past I have only had to repair 3 of them and in each case it was a defective part that was replaced by the manufacturer at no cost to me. In each case my willingness to accomodate the buyer resulted in the sale of another pen. I guarantee my pens for "life" and most people are amazed that I would make such an offer. My willingness to stand behind my work has resulted in several pen sales. I realize that some people will abuse their pens and then try to blame it on us but I guess that I am willing to take that risk in order to show people that I am proud of my workmanship.

DurocShark

The only ones needing repair I've had so far have been due to the craptastic schmidt pencil mechanism.

One customer who's spent a lot of money with me bought one for his dad who has been happy with it. But knowing its out there bugs me so I'm working on a pentel with matching segmentation.

Rifleman1776

Your memory goes way back. Sears hasn't been worth a dang in the customer service department, in my experience, in at least the past 15 years.

You are right on a couple counts. I'm an old timer. I remember by father buying a shotgun from Sears-Roebuck during WWII.
And, in the 1970's I actually owned a Sears-Roebuck store. It was during that time Sears changed it's 'satisfaction guaranteed' policy. After the change it meant almost nothing. I saw customer confidence, and sales, drop like a rock. The only thing guaranteed was that they had found a formula for killing a business that had been one of the most successful in the history of the world.
Take care of your customers, they will take care of you. OTOH, a small timer like us penners, have to be careful of being ripped. As said, case by case.

Daniel

Warranty the Workmanship only. That pretty much covers that you put the parts together as well as back the "Quality" of the parts. It does not cover misuse. which would include washers, dryers, leaving it in a hot car all day, and pliers. I would never repair a pen for free that someone took a pair of pliers to. As for identifying which pens you made and which are others. Most people require proof that you purchased an item from them in order to honor any warranty. Even my computers have that requirment.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
If someone is under the impression that using pliers to open a pen was the proper way of doing things, you will never be able to change the way they do things. I would tell them first to breathe in, then to breathe out. Once they have mastered that, you need to explain that while you will repair or replace a defect, you will not replace something damaged due to ignorance, they should have brought the pen to yoiu before they attempted to tear it open. You should treat a customer reasonably, but that doesn't mean you have to be treated like a fool by them. There has to be a fair middle ground when doing any business with anyone, but pliers on a pen? How do they open their car, using a bat maybe? I'm suprised someone like that is still alive, I figured they would have choked to death on a food wrapper by now.

Jgrden

Frank: I enjoyed what you said about Sears. I worked for them in 1964. We sold the heck out of Craftsman tools because of the no questions asked guarantee. Guys would bring back ratchets that you know damned well were broken because they used "cheater" bars or pipes on them. But, they walked out with a new ratchet. Then there are the guys that would go to garage sales and buy old screwdrivers for fifty cents and bring them in to be exchanged. I was manager of the electrical department and one day a gentleman brought back a fifty foot electrical cord that had obviously been chewed by a dog. I told the man that there was no way I could have sold a cord like that. He went "updtairs" and the manger's secretary came down and pulled a new fifty foot cord out of my bin. I know they gave him a new cord.

Top Bottom