WARNING! 50 Cal Bullets

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

I put this in this forum to give it best chance at being seen. The warning is for those that are drilling the 50 cal tracer rounds. After drilling hundreds of thes and doing nothing different, I have confirmed that you can ignite the magnesium in the bullet while drilling.

My son started to drill the back of a bullet this afternoon and created a spark. He had a container to catch the magnesium powder so that it does not get all over the shop. he noticed a spark and having let him play with the magnesium in the past he did not hesitate for a split second. he headed for the door. He told me later that as he reached the door he glanced back to see a fire ball that reached from the lathe to the ceiling of the shop as approximately a half pound of Magnesium burned. it actually set a box on fire that was about 5 feet above the lathe on a shelf. melted the front of my air conditioner. when I got to the shop the fun part was over but the drill bit was glowing red hot.

First I thank God that my son was as familiar as he is with Magnesium and got away from it unharmed. the damage is limited to a destroyed drill bit, a melted bullet and a fairly well damaged collet chuck and collet. a burn mark on a couple of shelves and ceiling and one box of junk that really got toastedthe lathe has a couple of parts melted on it that can be replaced. otherwise I see no permanent damage to it. I will have to tear it apart and lubricate it as I am sure that grease and oils did not survive. I am actually suprised the entire back half of the shop did not catch on fire. that stuff burns extremely hot. Had my son just stepped back with no idea what was about to happen I seriously doubt he would have survived. permanently disfigured at the very least.

After inspecting the situation afterward it was not the actual drilling that caused the spark the drill bit was not actually in the bullet. I think that there must have been a static spark as the bit got near the bullet and it was enough to ignite the magnesium. My son told me he saw three sparks and was already on his way out.

By the way Brian, do not worry I still intend to get your bullets done. one out of hundreds is what it is. i do suggest that when drilling these you do not keep excess magnesium near and be careful of static. a single bullet burning out would have caused a lot of smoke, wrecked a bullet and caused a lot of excitment but would not set a shop on fire or damaged tools. the real mistake in this was having that box full of powder setting just below the spark.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Just so everybody knows, you CAN'T extinguish magnesium with water or a dry chemical extinguisher you need a class D extinguisher which uses copper powder of some kind. I found this when I tried to cut a stud off the side of a chainsaw with a cutting torch.

Chief Hill

As I am an industrial fire Chief just a few cautions because I have been involved in these fires in the past. One of which was 4000 pounds of Block Magnesium. It burned live for 4 days under 6 tons of kiln dryed sand.

Regardless of how much is around you Keep dry sand in the shop. Cover a mag fire with that. Unless you want to buy a class d extinguisher. Never use water on mag fires as water reacts violently. Explodes actually.
Hydrogen gas also comes off mag fires as well so caution there as well. Typically when water is applyed or wet sand etc.
Also Mag dust is explosive as well. So I suggest that you find a safe route to evacuate any dust that you cause while drilling. Unfortunately 99% of your tools wont be intrisically safe. So a fan moving the air out of the shop to keep fresh air may not be a bad idea.
good luck.

Chief Hill

Just so everybody knows, you CAN'T extinguish magnesium with water or a dry chemical extinguisher you need a class D extinguisher which uses copper powder of some kind. I found this when I tried to cut a stud off the side of a chainsaw with a cutting torch.

Just an FYI Copper powder would also fall into Class D fire as Class D is Metal related fires.
Copper falling into that catagory.
Class D extinguishers or Metal X contains sodium chloride salt and thermoplastic additive. Plastic melts to form an oygen-excluding crust over the metal, and the salt dissipates heat

workinforwood

Wow...I'm happy to hear the news isn't as bad as it could have certainly been. I was thinking maybe a 50 cal ignited and launched through the shop..yikes! I never even considered drilling a live bullet of any type. I shoot it and re-use it or buy a new empty casing.

Daniel

Jeff, it was not a complete live round that was being drilled, just the projectile. the 50 cal BMG Tracer projectile is packed with Magnesium and some other flammable stuff so that the machine gunner can actually see where he is firing. This material has to be removed for me to be able to mail them anywhere. Drilling it out does not create enough heat itself to ignite it by far. I have played around with what it takes to get it to burn just to assure myself about it catching fire. Unless the drill bit got so hot it started glowing red there is no chance it could ignite the Mag. even if a single bullet ignited it would not be that big of a deal. maybe a fairly well blackened drill bit or something at most. but having a box of the powder setting right there that amounted to maybe 50 bullets worth created a short lived but just as dangerous blast furnace. imagine a 4th of July firework going off in your shop. that will give you a pretty good idea of what happened. didn't last long but then it wouldn't take long either.

Top Bottom