Wanted to Buy: Crochet Hook Handle

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EricRN

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone had listed for sale (Etsy, webshop, elsewhere) a crochet handle made with the Penn State Industries crochet hook kit? I would need the handle to be very thick--1.25-1.5 inches in diameter. My wife has a medical issue with her hand and cannot use the thinner crochet hooks that are typically sold. I promised I'd make her a nice and thick one, but I've been slammed with work lately and just not able to do much turning at all. I'm trying to find one I can buy her as a gift (to make up for being so slammed at work), and figured I'd see if it was possible to patronize a fellow IAP member. If you have something listed for sale that might fit the bill, please let me know.

Thanks,
Eric

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Talonstorm

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone had listed for sale (Etsy, webshop, elsewhere) a crochet handle made with the Penn State Industries crochet hook kit? I would need the handle to be very thick--1.25-1.5 inches in diameter. My wife has a medical issue with her hand and cannot use the thinner crochet hooks that are typically sold. I promised I'd make her a nice and thick one, but I've been slammed with work lately and just not able to do much turning at all. I'm trying to find one I can buy her as a gift (to make up for being so slammed at work), and figured I'd see if it was possible to patronize a fellow IAP member. If you have something listed for sale that might fit the bill, please let me know.

Thanks,
Eric
I do a lot of crochet, so I'm going to offer a piece of unsolicited advice. Stay away from the psi crochet kit. The hook shafts on them are tapered. The problem with this is that the size of your stitch is determined by not by the hook, but by the shaft of the hook and the tapered shaft makes it impossible to get a consistent stitch. I bought several of these kits and they are useless, which is unfortunate because they are really nice otherwise.

Take a look at the reviews for the psi crochet kits (be sure to turn off the filter that only shows 4 & 5 star reviews, psi has it autoset). You will see many similar comments.

There is a great video on you tube showing how to turn an ergonomic handle for an aluminum hook (I haven't tried it yet though).

Take care, Tina

Joebobber

Hey Tina does the Rizheng kit have the same issues? I made 1 for a friend but haven't given it to her yet. Is it basically junk too?

Sorry to take over your thread i can repost this if necessary.

Attachments

• 20220704_214025.jpg
    20220704_214025.jpg
    600.3 KB · Views: 107

dogcatcher

I buy crochet hooks at Joanns and make my own wood handles. Measure the diameter drill end of blank. Take HF center punch that matches and use it as a jam mandrel. I cut the crochet handle about 1 to 1.5 inches above the flat spot. Epoxy in place.

Between my wife and her friends I have made about a 100 for them. Some crocheters are particular and want specific brands of hooks. Some like larger diameter handles other want them so thin they tend to crack.

As already stated, save your money the PSI version is sort of okay, but DIY and they will get what they want.

EricRN

Thanks for the advice all. My wife had actually purchased the inserts and we are outside the return window so we will see how it goes. I actually started to feel guilty so I'm going to make the time to turn it myself.

Talonstorm

Hey Tina does the Rizheng kit have the same issues? I made 1 for a friend but haven't given it to her yet. Is it basically junk too?

Sorry to take over your thread i can repost this if necessary.
No, the Rizheng kit does not have the same issue. I have one sitting in the shop ready to make. My sister already made one of them though, and she said it works great.

CamilleWall

Where can you get Rizheng crochet hook kits? I have looked around but with not much luck. The only place I found them was at Wood World of Texas. Placed an order last week, but have heard nothing from them, so I am somewhat suspicious.

jrista

Has anyone tried to make longer handled for the PSI kits? I made one of those boxed crochet kits for both my mother and grandmother, and they both like them. However, I always thought the handles were too short. I've wondered about ways to extend the length of the handle...say maybe buying brass tubes of the right diameter, and just cutting them longer, making longer, thinner and more elegant blanks around those longer tubes.

No doing any crochet myself, though, I am not sure if it matters how long the metallic hooked part is, and if it is just the length of the handle that matters, or if the length of the metal part matters as well. I've been considering making several of those kits to put on a storefront online, but this thread has made me think a bit harder. ;)

Talonstorm

Has anyone tried to make longer handled for the PSI kits? I made one of those boxed crochet kits for both my mother and grandmother, and they both like them. However, I always thought the handles were too short. I've wondered about ways to extend the length of the handle...say maybe buying brass tubes of the right diameter, and just cutting them longer, making longer, thinner and more elegant blanks around those longer tubes.

No doing any crochet myself, though, I am not sure if it matters how long the metallic hooked part is, and if it is just the length of the handle that matters, or if the length of the metal part matters as well. I've been considering making several of those kits to put on a storefront online, but this thread has made me think a bit harder. ;)
Crochet hooks (standard, not tunesian) aren't like knitting needles, you really only use the front maybe 1.5" of them. So your grip is low on them for leverage. Personally, I would find a longer handle to be unwieldy. Most people ask for a more economic hook, which means a handle that is a little larger around, not skinnier. Those skinny aluminum hooks are very hard on the hands.

jrista

Crochet hooks (standard, not tunesian) aren't like knitting needles, you really only use the front maybe 1.5" of them. So your grip is low on them for leverage. Personally, I would find a longer handle to be unwieldy. Most people ask for a more economic hook, which means a handle that is a little larger around, not skinnier. Those skinny aluminum hooks are very hard on the hands.
Thank you for the info! That is very helpful. I guess I'll see what I can do about making the handles more usable instead of longer.

kitchlady

Here: http://www.penkitsmall.com

You will need to create an account to see what they have and I'll warn you that shipping is pricey.
Believe it or not they actually have an Ali Express store, and the shipping costs are extremely reasonable. Here is a link to their store, but it doesn't look like their entire inventory is available from there.

Great info on the kits though.

Top Bottom