WANTED: Closed End Mandrell

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DaveBear35

My son is getting married in a month and I was asked to create a guest book pen. I grabbed my closed end mandrell and went to work. The blank blew up and in the process bent the mandrell shaft. I need a 7mm closed end mandrell, and I need it sooner than later. Any one have one laying around in their shop collecting dust?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

I don't have a closed end mandrel that size, but you could probably make a pin chuck version by filing a flat on a short, standard 7mm mandrel rod to accommodate the locking pin. Or perhaps turn it between centers?

The last time I made a desk pen I used a PSI Premium Designer NT Kit. (Premium Designer because I wanted to use a Parker refill instead of a Cross refill and the Premium Designer uses 8mm tubes and a Parker style. It was about 8.5 inches long and I made it by simply using one blank to make the tip end with my standard pen mandrel. For the "clip" end though I drilled 2-inches into one end of a standard 5-inch blank and carefully glued the tube in. I turned it between centers using the bushing and a 60-degree dead center on the headstock and a pointed live center on the tailstock. After turning and finishing it I simply sanded an angle on the free end and then touched up the sanded area with finish. I also turned a matching holder for it.

Good luck with your project, and Congratulations to you and your son!

Dave

IMG_1437 Cropped.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1438 Cropped.jpg
    IMG_1438 Cropped.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1436 Cropped.jpg
    IMG_1436 Cropped.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1441 Cropped.jpg
    IMG_1441 Cropped.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 18

woodwzrd

My son is getting married in a month and I was asked to create a guest book pen. I grabbed my closed end mandrell and went to work. The blank blew up and in the process bent the mandrell shaft. I need a 7mm closed end mandrell, and I need it sooner than later. Any one have one laying around in their shop collecting dust?
@rherrell could probably hook you up in short order. His turn around time is usually really quick.

If that doesn't work for you, you could hit up your local Harbor Freight for a set of pin punches and make you own by filing a flat spot on the 1/4 punch to accommodate your pin. I have done that for a couple of one off pin mandrels and it has worked out pretty good.

duncsuss

Or you could just grind a screw-driver-like end on a regular mandrel and jam it into the solid wood at the end of the hole. I've done this a couple of times and it works so long as you take light cuts.

henry1164

Was going through my pieces and parts in the last couple of days and found a PSI (PKMBL72) "Grabber" closed end 7/8mm pen mandrel that has never been used. It's yours for the postage.

randyrls

I realize this thread is a bit old, but a pen mandrel with a flat filed in it can be easily made. Look up "Pin Chuck". Make several of the pins because you WILL lose the pin. I keep mine covered with a spare brass tube and taped in place.

Top Bottom