Wanted: Bread Lame Hardware Kit (for slashing bread dough) - Add My Own Turned Handles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from penicillin

penicillin

A bread "lame" is a thin stick with an exposed razor blade at one end and a handle on the other end. Chefs use it for slashing bread dough before they put it in the oven to bake. The slashes allow for controlled expansion of the loaf as it rises and bakes in the oven, and they can also be used to achieve simple or elaborate patterns in the finished bread. Some lames are designed to hold the razor in a curved arc, while others hold the razor flat. Some chefs prefer one type over the other, while other chefs have both types and choose an arched or flat lame based on the type of bread (and corresponding slashes) that they want to make.

I have seen a lot of bread lames for sale. Most of them look like metal sticks with a turned wood handle on one end.
https://www.google.com/search?q=bread+lame&tbm=isch

-> I am looking for lame kits or the metal lame parts so I can make my own lames from my own turned handles. Obviously someone is making the metal parts, because there are a lot of similar lames for sale from many brands, and they differ only in the turned angles. Does anyone know where I can order the metal parts or kits for making lames?

Mach4

They're only $4.59 - cut the handle off and turn your own. This is the same thing I did when I was making coffee tampers for friends.

Attachments

• 06CBDD56-73A6-4BE0-8597-E3B21E2726FD.jpeg
    06CBDD56-73A6-4BE0-8597-E3B21E2726FD.jpeg
    239.6 KB · Views: 149

penicillin

They're only $4.59 - cut the handle off and turn your own. This is the same thing I did when I was making coffee tampers for friends.
The thought had occurred to me. Seriously, it seems like such a waste to do it like that. There must be someone who is making the metal parts for the people who manufacture the lames.

I have also worked on designs for making one from wood. The thin designs function best, but for them you want the strength of metal, not wood.

Top Bottom